Container suggestions?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Dr. Who, Aug 19, 2012.

1. :smoke:
    I looking for some container type and size recommendations? I am going to be using a 4'x4' tent, considering 4-6 plants per cycle? I like the idea of using grow bags due to price, lack of excessive storage space needed, and a few other reasons.
    I am wanting to do as little transplanting as possible as well. Please tell me what you think. Thank you in advance!

2. I just switched to these smart pots, I use 2 gallon for early veg under a 400w then right into 5 gallon as soon as I think there may be root lock, but I flower with a 1000w in a 6.5x7x7.5 room. I use a 4x4 tent to veg, you can fit them (the 5 gallon), it may be a bit tight. I was just using 5 gallon buckets from lowes.
    Amazon.com: 5-Gallon Smart Pot: Patio, Lawn & Garden

3. Use smartpots. You can start seedlings directly in whatever sized pot you want. The roots auto-prune and fill the soil. They don't run to the bottom and circle like plastic. Transplanting is unnecessary, IMO.

4. I would use 5 - 7 gallon smartpots or a similar product

5. :smoke:
    Thanks to all that took the time to reply.
    So it sounds like the the general consensus is that the smart pots are the way to go? Anyone else have .02 cents to throw in???

6. #6 SkunkPatronus, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
    I have used both smart pots and air pots, plastic square bottom disposable sacks, and a multitude of other containers...and at the moment, the last three runs, I have switched back to 4.5 gallon black plastic containers.

The air pots were the messiest things, the water would just torrent out thru the sides and they dried out daily, which means twice the watering, but they did airate, and they were capable of being moved around as needed. I ended up dunking them to water the plant, into a much larger bucket. I wonder at 'air pruning' something only alive 4-8 months.

The smart pots were a bitch to clean in my washer...ask any man here if he washed them in the washer and they will all say 'yes I did', ask him who cleaned up the mess in the washer, hose line, and sink and how their other half reacted. They are a bitch to pick up and move. Think of a heavy, 12 week flowering bundle of sticky stinky buds waving in the breeze above a fabric sack of dirt...now think of moving all 14...moving them in and around was awful. I have had more 'falls' 'tipped' and 'oops' in general with these huge not formed fabric bags.

Black containers are forever. They don't fall, tip, they move well, they stack tall, they can be placed upside down to boost another plant higher, they have a lip to grab and I like them. If the roots are circling at the bottom, at least that's where the majority of nutrient dense washed thru water sits!

7. Why wash a smart pot that had a soil in it only to put the same soil back into it?

I did that once, until I really thought about it. I was kinda smart in washing it. I did 2-3 'washes' in my bathtub to get out the nasty stuff, then ran it through the washer. :p

8. I'm with skunk Hell, I've even taken to purchasing commercial grade 7.5g containers instead of foraging for 5g toss-aways. Love the 7.5g but they do get heavy at that size.

I've got a box full of smarties I'd just as soon give to someone as keep carrying 'em around. They suck for me but others like 'em. I like plastic and I like drilling 1/4" holes in 'em all the way around and a big ~1" hole right in the bottom center. Place these large containers in the optional saucers that match 'em and then you can water from the bottom (wicking) and water from the top. You can do the same with a smartie.

Growers choice on this topic. There is no "best" on the better/best scale IMO. Use what works for your style and grow environment.

9. It makes me feel a lot better that some more experienced growers aren't having the best luck with SmartPots. I was sold on the idea, but as soon as I started working with them, I like them less and less.

I've actually had some good results with the "square root" containers. Thicker than SmartPots , which to me at first seemed to defeat the purpose of an aeration container.

Currently indoors I'm running a 5g smartpot, a 5g square root, a couple 10g nursery pots, and a couple 4.5 g nursery pots.

The Square root plant is the best looking plant, but the 4.5g are the easiest to work with.

The 10g plants are bigger but man are those things heavy!

And don't even ask about the ordeal I went through last month moving 2 outdoor 35g SmartPots with 6' tall, 4' wide flowering plants in them. Whew!

Boro

10. My 'nasty stuff' always filled the fabric mesh and made it like a sheet of plastic(not porous) and I had to really scrub it, or use the washer. Didn't like that part too much, ok if the fabric cleans with just the hose, but for me that never was enough.

11. Im constantly surprised at the courtesy and open minded approach in the organic section. This thread right here is a perfect example.

Anywhere else, even other sections on GC this would have turned into a pissing match right from the start.

Your all cool as fuck.

Oz

12. :smoke:
    I couldn't agree more, on both accounts. I've only been around for a few days and have noticed a few.
    I'm definitely am stoked about the atmosphere and great vibes I get from the friendliness and willingness to help.

Keep on keeping on everyone

13. Yeah I have to agree... I've learned more and way better info on this section alone then anywhere else on gc. I'm so glad people here could open my eyes to organic gardening and in a sensible way instead of being dic*s about it I'll never do anything but organic now

14. Oh, couldn't agree more. Most of us dissagree about every-fucking-thing and everyone is cool with just having a different paradigm. Lots changes though, I think we all change our ideas and try new things with everybody doing something different and it working. I think the organic section just has a lot of brains too, intellectual intelligence, manual/technical intelligence, or intuitive/healing intelligence, all kinds, lots of idea flow.

15. #15 mjmama25, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2012
    [quote name='"Borophyl"']It makes me feel a lot better that some more experienced growers aren't having the best luck with SmartPots. I was sold on the idea, but as soon as I started working with them, I like them less and less.

I've actually had some good results with the "square root" containers. Thicker than SmartPots , which to me at first seemed to defeat the purpose of an aeration container.

Currently indoors I'm running a 5g smartpot, a 5g square root, a couple 10g nursery pots, and a couple 4.5 g nursery pots.

The Square root plant is the best looking plant, but the 4.5g are the easiest to work with.

The 10g plants are bigger but man are those things heavy!

And don't even ask about the ordeal I went through last month moving 2 outdoor 35g SmartPots with 6' tall, 4' wide flowering plants in them. Whew!

Boro[/quote]

I've used several types of fabric pots and smart pots are my least favorite. Camo pots are the best I've found. My plants are always happy in them.

I plan to make my own "smart pots" soon, with a zipper for easy transplanting. I like to veg indoors in my camo pots but them its a bitch to transplant into the ground. The zippers should make my job a lot easier. And I plan on adding handles to all of them for easier transport.

16. [quote name='"mjmama25"']

I've used several types of fabric pots and smart pots are my least favorite. Camo pots are the best I've found. My plants are always happy in them.

I plan to make my own "smart pots soon, with a zipper for easy transplanting. I like to veg indoors in my camo pots but them its a bitch to transplant into the ground. The zippers should make my job a lot easier. And I plan on adding handles to all of them for easier transport.[/quote]

That's a really good idea with the zipper mjmamma, I never even thought of that and this is my first year trying fabric pots (hydro store guy talked me into them...big surprise there) their actual smart pots they seem to be doing pretty good as far as I can really tell only thing I don't like so far is the no handles crap

17. "I think the organic section just has a lot of brains too, intellectual intelligence, manual/technical intelligence, or intuitive/healing intelligence, all kinds, lots of idea flow."

^^^Couldn't agree more. And this, logically, leads me to believe that organics trumps hydro all day long. Have you guys read some of the idiots in the hydro section? (Not all, of course) There is so much more logic and reason with the folks here. And a whole lot more "stoner science" going on over there, in the hydro section. I don't "hate" on hydro the way some do, here, in organics.....but.....my choice of grow method is definitely organic. And it always will, be.

There are some good (and smart) hydro growers out there, but in general, the whole hydroponic marketing system seems to be set up to sell products to suckers.

There doesn't seem to be many suckers here in organics. Just a bunch of intellectual, and super cool people, here in organics. Thank you, my friends!

Peace.

18. Ya'll just remember, whether it be here, in the board room, or on the streets: LIONS DON'T NEED TO ROAR.

Simple :D

Ya'll have a nice day. Got a "few" pounds... er ah "plants" to go trim now :cool:

19. The htg brand fabric pots have handles on them. I use both and notice no difference what so ever in flower. I do prefer the fabric pots for veg because I can leave plants in a one gallon fabric for longer before transplant.

BeZ...V

20. #20 HerbMed, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    :hello: