Considering buying an Atari 2600

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by eesti, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I found a store that has and and atari 2600
    It costs 270$
    Comes with two controllers and 20 games.
    I love old games but i never plyed games that old.
    Is it worth it?
    I will maybe play it for like 30 minutes
    but atleast i add another console to my collection.

2. Emulators. Don't be a hipster.

3. thats like the price of a PS3

fuck that

4. If you keep it in good condition, it could get you some good cash down the road. You can use an emulator, but with the actual console, you can legally get a rom off it.
    If you have the cash and you think it would be a good investment, go for it.

5. Dude, $270 is a rip. Atari's are much cheaper on ebay man!

6. Why would you even consider paying that for some out dated technolgy where you you could proabbly play all them games online

7. If you want the console for nostalgia and as an investment that is a steep price. For you to turn around and sell something like this and make money you really have to sit on it for awhile.

Like you said you're only gonna play it for 30mins. If you want to play some old classic games just get some plug2play tv games. Most of them are the old atari games anyways.

8. :laughing:

You could get a NES, SNES, a Gameboy, Sega Genesis, Playstation, Playstation 2 and an original Xbox plus some games for that much on Craigslist.

No, that's a rip off. The system probably doesn't even work, or the controllers are be fucked up.

9. bro, just go to a flea market bro. ive seen them for 20 bucks and boxes upon boxes of cheap games

10. Damn $270?? I'm glad I held onto mine! You might need a old school CRT TV as well. Not quite sure if it will work on a flat screen. Most new TVs don't operate well with RF inputs. Haven't tried my 2600 yet on my LED, but my snes looks like utter shit on it. Which is why I just hook up my laptop to my tv and use Roms.

11. ^This... flea markets, garage sales. I found one in an atic a couple months ago with a ton of games in a box. My grandma even has one just sitting in her closet, I need to grab that one too.

12. If you never had one as a kid and are too young to remember their heyday - then NO don't buy it, you'll be terribly disappointed.

And $270 is pretty steep.

That's like how much they were when they were brand new!

If you just want to PLAY the games, I saw a brand spanking new console that comes built in with 30 games and it was even licensed. And it was a whopping $30. Hell they have those Joystick things that have 10 games in them for under $15

You won't get the nostalgia unless you were there.

I was 10 when I got my Atari 2600 in 1980.

13. meh i think i will just buy one on ebay then
    as a collectors item not for the games themselves

14. Be better off buying shares in something man. Gotta have to sit on that thing for about 80years for it to be where it needs to be. Im stoned right now so I just had a flashback of when that chick collected all that "vintage" crap lol.

Or audiophiles getting old PlayStations. lol

15. Get an emulator, they are free, faster and they don't take up the space of a console and the console could stop working at any point of ownership

16. Lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

17. [quote name='"Grizmoblust"']Lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol[/quote]

Please fill your fellow blades in on what was so funny!!!!