Confusion about straining potency in a tincture.

Discussion in 'E-Liquids & E-Juice, E-Cigarettes' started by Terry Newton, Feb 5, 2019.

1. I have been seeing posts that say you lose a lot of potency by straining the material after infusing bud but isn't that the whole point of infusing.So if you are losing potency,THC,then it's not completely infused.What am I missing here?
    I have all my ingredients ready to go and I normally strain.
    I'll heat in my crock pot for about 4 hours stirring and pressing and then let it sit for 24 hours and then remove my nut bag containing my decarbed bud.
    I then press and squeeze the bag and retrieve most of the liquid.

2. [​IMG]

Decarb rough ground weed first 240 F for 40 minutes

[​IMG]

Freeze weed and booze separately

[​IMG]

Pour booze over weed and shake 10-15 seconds.

[​IMG]

Strain weed from tincture with potato ricer.

[​IMG]

Filter the last of the bits out with 160 micron mesh.
    Done
    I get back about 500ml of the 750 I started with.
    An eyedroppers worth under the tongue is like smoking a whole doobie alone. Very good hit.

BNW

3. Silly me forgot to say that I'm using VG/PG and I live in Canada and can't get everclear,many years ago we could get,darn now I've forgotten what it was called,a high alcohol contend liquor.Seen your description many times but that's not applicable to my situation.

4. Thats just silly, you don't lose potency, at that point it's just plant material, all the cannabinoids are in the liquid. Like you said, it's been absorbed into the alcahol or oil. Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean they're right.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Which is why I asked my question.I agree with you,thanks.So much frigging misinformation on the interwebs.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yep, and so many fools that want to argue nonsense.
    We don't have everclear where we are either, but brass built a distiller that sounds awesome, you can distill the water out of vodka and make your own everclear. it might be a worthwhile purchase for you, if I made more tincture I'd definitely buy one.

7. I live in social housing and they wouldn't like it if I had a still,not to mention I literally only have enough room to turn around.To old for that sort of thing now.Just got a bunch of bud I want to use up.Can't smoke so I vape and make olive oil infusions.Think this time I'll do a MCT infusion.It's legal here now.Not that stopped me before.Over half a century of use except for the last 2 days without vaping at all.Just taking a small break,no big deal.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. This nanny state. (California) I used to be able to get 151 but even that is gone now and our Everclear is now 120 proof. Same price mine you but I'm getting less alcohol and paying for water ?? Gee thanks.

Consider Coconut oil rather then Olive. Near tasteless to me and Coconut is one of the few oils that don't need bile to start digestion and skip on through the stomach and hit the portal vein and to the liver fastest of all oils. I've tested a wide range of oils and that was my top choice for speed and lack of any real taste of it's own. Lets the flavor of the individual strains of Kief shine through. Much as I loved the bacon rendering fat based oil it just tasted of bacon with no kief taste at all. Same with Olive, it has to intense a flavor on it's own.

Did some vape mixing and got deep into flavors but my Doc said my Lungs sounded worse at my last annual checkup and questioned me so the wife called a halt to that and said double down on the edibles as no more inhaled stuff as all.
    Boohoo.
    BNW

9. Looks like I'm going for MCT oil and I'm just waiting now to hear about getting oxygen here in my apartment ,I have severe COPD and can't do anything without gasping,always short of breath .Can't smoke pot so I vape and do oils.I enjoy getting supremely baked and since I take care of my obligations first it doesn't interfere with my life it enhances it.Had a checkup last week and my lungs apparently sounded good except for the fact I'm always gasping for air.Oh well got all my toys and nothing I need or want.

• Like Like x 1