confused with the soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by tealhatch, Dec 27, 2009.

1. I am planning to start up my grow and I have been reading on soil and so what but I am still a little confused.(sorry guys) What soil would be best for a grow? I see people talking about adding nutrients and others mixing stuff with there soil. Can someone please help me out.

2. You want an organic soil.... nothing with time release ferts.

If you can get it Fox Farms Ocean Forest is really great stuff... for starting your seeds in I'd recomend something like Fox Farms Happy Frog or Light Warrior.

You can mix other stuff in but those are good all around soils... and play around your next row.

3. If you can't find Fox Farms products, [​IMG] here's a thread with a couple of good recipes for growing organically.

This thread is also a good recipe with some different nutrients. I currently use a similar mix.

4. Well not looking to do so much mixing due to this being my first time growing. Just want to see how this turns out first. Is there a soil that I can buy from walmart or home depot that would be a decent soil that I can work with?

5. HD and Walmart both carry MG Organic soil which will do fine. Do not get pre ferted soils if you can help it. I still like to add perlite at about 4:1 soil to perlite. Most of the other growers here will recommend adding perlite to most any store bought soil.

I also saw some soil at H.D. the other day called "Cedar Grove Organic Potting Soil".........it had worm castings, coco coir, compost and some other goodies. It's probably a good buy at about 5 bucks for 1 cubic foot.

The perlite aids in drainage and aeration of the soil. With a well aerated soil, oxygen is allowed to get to the root zone, which is a good thing.

6. an easy soil mix i use is

3 parts promix bx
    1 part sheep manure compost
    1 part shrimp compost
    and a nice hand full of dolomitic limestone (PH buffer)

as for nutes use what you want but i never fert over 650 ppm