Computer wont load past Bios

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by chimera765, May 16, 2013.

1. Hey guys, 

I recently bought and assembled my custom pc, and managed to get everything together without a problem. (save my case's 200mm fan, that died almost immediately :( )

But I'm having an issue. I'm able to fire up the computer, see the "MSI" logo for my bios loading, and then it'll say "Please select a proper boot drive and restart. or insert media and press any key."

I've set my optical drive as my primary, but it still won't read the Windows 7 disc in the drive. I hit a key and it keeps repeating the message. Am I doing something wrong? Should I plug my optical drive into a 6gig/sec opening instead of the 3gig/sec it's already in? I'm confused because I don't know what to do and it's a 1500 dollar brick if I can't load the OS onto it.

Any suggestions?

2. hmm that's weird haha i was having a problem very similar to yours lastnight. friend of mine brought in his computer for me to look at. said he tried loading windows 7 on it, wasn't working. so i told him i'd take a look at it.

he has two hard drives that are both 800 gb each and i guess one of the hard drives wasn't loading correctly and i was getting the same error message as you. i changed the bios order so its CD drive first, 1st hard drive 2nd, and his "non working" hard drive as 3rd. for some reason this fixed the problem instantly and i was able to install windows 7.

you said you changed your bios order but do you have multiple hard drives? this could be the issue but i'm not sure. i'll definitely have to do a bit of research on this and see if loading hd's in a particular order fucks up the loading. try changing the optical drive into that other slot and get back to me. :)

3. if u have access to another computer. create a system repair disk. problem solved

4. #4 chimera765, May 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2013

Yeah, I have a 1tb Seagate barracuda and a 128gb samsung 840 pro ssd.

I'll try unplugging the sata cables from them and see if that does some work but it's peeving me of cause I even wrote it to a usb drive and that won't register as well! Ugh, I wanna game on this fucker but this is honestly the hardest fucking part.

But i'll also take a shot at putting the optical drive into a 6gig slot

edit: so i didn't mount the image properly. My mac doesn't like the windows disc, so I went ahead and tried to boot off of a thumb drive. Now I just get a black screen with the " _ " blinking non-stop.

Ugh, this is annoying how easy this should be but is so damn complicated for whatever reason

5. #5 Jumbo, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
    You probably didnt burn or make the USB right. 

Make sure you are opening it with an image mounter and burning it like that.

also only plug in the boot drive you want, just unplug the HDD if you are using the SSD as boot. 

keep the cd in 3gb/s slot the 6 probably wont do shit. 

go into bios and select boot options, you should be able to boot to which ever you choose in there, not only set priorities. 

idk what to say, if i was there id be so much more help lol. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lYKDRd1E4M

is it anything like that? read comments in there. 

6. Actually I didn't burn the disc correctly, I later found out.

I right clicked the .iso and just burnt it to the disc, thinking that would work on my mac. I later found out I had to use my mac's disk utility to "correctly" burn the .iso to the disc.

So now I've got an operating system, but my computer won't connect to my network now. I bought an On Networks N300ma wifi adapter, and it saw my parent's network once but says it won't connect. I'm frustrated cause that's all I need to connect to the web now and this is stopping me.

7. #7 Jumbo, May 17, 2013
    Make sure you have drivers for it, you might need to use another PC to get them.

Also i recommend not using wifi adapter, get a powerline adapter, more reliable connection. at least for me. 

i always get drop outs using wifi, never with my powerline.... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sue1Zvmh8JA

http://support.on-networks.com/product_details/N300MA

download their latest drivers if you already havent. 

http://support.on-networks.com/article_details/N300MA-Software-Version-1.1.0.1#N300MA

8. ya dude ethernet all the way!  :bongin: 

9. Yea I have the drivers, I have a cd that installed them for me (since I have no internet connection on that pc)

But is powerline good for online gaming for you? I plan on gaming on that rig, so speed is a BIG deal to me. Also, if it is a good speed... What kind of powerline brand are you using? I'd prefer not a spend a huge amount of money cause it does seem like it'd be pricey. D:

10. #10 Jumbo, May 17, 2013
    I paid like 65 bucks for mine, i have a TP-Link AV200, now the speeds aren't much better to be honest, but like i said, i NEVER get drop outs. I had a rosewill PCI Wifi adapters with is probably better than what your little usb one is and i used to get a lot of lag and drop outs. but the speeds are a little better too. 

And i recommend not using the CD and just using that link, as you can get the LATEST drivers. you don't know how old those drivers are which might be a reason for it not working. do you happen to know what version they are?

fucking wish i could get ethernet in my room, its just too far from the router and i live in an old house that would require cutting open mad walls and im not feeling to do that lol. 

you can get better kits than what i have for under 50$ on newegg, this technology is still pretty new and its getting better and better. 
    http://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294

Yea the drivers are old as hell. I'm planning on returning it and getting my money back, but I can't find the plastic wrap the usb adapter came in. Oh well, Microcenter have been awesome to me so far, so I'm sure that won't be a big issue.

But I found some powerline nano's from trendnet that look pretty solid, but im unsure about buying them cause my parent's router has more stuff plugged into it than a girl in a quadruple gangbang. So I may just have to let my computer sit, or figure out which wires I can reroute. Either way, this computer is going to get internet.

Also, on a side note: how do you wipe a SSD back to it's stock storage? I fucked up on the OS install and my 128gb ssd now shows only 95gigs. 

12. that im unsure of, i just bought an SSD last night. lol

never bought one because they seemed to be waste of money, now they arent too expensive and i have money after quitting weed. 

samsung 840 250gb should be here tomorrow. 

im doing some research now ill post back if i find anything. 

13. #13 Subliminal Jazz, May 17, 2013

ya dude if you want to do some online gaming go with an ethernet. i used to have wifi aswell and i kept getting lag or a dropped signal. spent a pretty penny on getting all the shit installed but its honestly money well spent. i don't watch tv so everything i watch is on my computer so it either fast internet or nuttin.

as far as clearing your hardrive. just gotta right click the drive and click format, like so

[​IMG]

unless clearing a SSD is different then a normal HD, then i dunno

14. Yea you can just format it like marley said, i wasnt sure if it was safe to do with SSD's or there was some other way

seems it will be fine.

and if that doesnt clear it up, it might be a hardware problem with the SSD.... 

15. #15 chimera765, May 17, 2013
    Well the thing is, my computer is only recognizing my SSD. My HDD is nowhere to be found, and I know I plugged the sata cables in. Also, it won't let me format the SSD, cause it says my OS is on there. 

It sucks not having internet for that computer. Shit would be so much easier through that.

Ugh, maybe I shouldn't have bought a computer. So much shit is going wrong and fucking up.

edit: if one of you guys has skype, maybe I could use that to help show whats my issue. tough to explain through words for me haha

16. #16 Jumbo, May 17, 2013
    Dont have skype but its ok man, you will be fine.

you just havent dont his before?

here you go, this is what you need. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMo8krAJd5Q

As for formatting the ssd, you can format that when you are resinstalling the OS, it has options in the installer to format any drives and make any partitions you desire.

also if you can get that video let me know ill try to put it into words. but try to watch that video, i am pretty sure its EXACTLY what you need. :)  i can post raw link if you need to use phone. 

but i wont be around all night so let me know lol, got work at 1600 til midnight. 

haha i understand. I actually managed to figure it out a few minutes before you posted that video. I remembered the screen from whn I watched Carey Holzman build his gaming rig and everything immediately clicked. The only thing that was different was that the 100 megs of space the OS installed went to my hdd instead of my ssd. 

Hopefully that doesn't cause issues later on down the line haha

18. AHHH...it must be fun constantly fixing Microsoft computers.  I just use mine, don't have to fix it.

19. Except, he wasn't fixing anything. Rather having trouble setting up new hardware.