Compost?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by h00t, Apr 14, 2009.

1. #1 h00t, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2009
    I have a quick question regarding soil. Out back of my house i have a compost pile. We throw our fruit and vegetables that have gone bad, grass clippings, tree clippings or any other organic material that we don't intend to use back there. I was just wondering if the soil from the compost would be as good or better than going out and purchasing soil.

Thanks for the help.

P.S: What about the soil pH? If it is too low how can i bring it up?

2. Well rotted compost is great.

3. Ok, but what about the pH. I heard that mj doesn't do well in acidic soil.

4. mj likes slightly acidic soil at 6.5-6.8 pH. But with watering you can bring soil pH up with basic water if the soil is very acidic... it will balance it out. Or you can flush the soil a few times with basic water to stabalize it. But i think that the natural compost you have will do great. Plenty of organic nutes. MJ is a weed dude, it will find a way to grow on anything. You wont have optimal yield, but youll get bud.

5. Ok, thanks for the help.

6. If the pH of your soil is off, I would not rely solely on water to adjust the pH. It might do the trick, but otherwise you can get products called pH Up and pH Down in a pet/aquarium store, or some home remedies:
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

To lower pH in soil: phosphoric acid, vinegar, lemon juice, sawdust, composted leaves, wood chips, cottonseed meal, leaf mold, peat moss.

To raise pH in soil: potassium hydroxide, dolomite lime, hardwood ash, bone meal, crushed marble, crushed oyster shells.