compost?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by proracer700, Oct 24, 2008.

1. this is my first time growing and i was wondering if compost would be good for the soil? also how about lighting for two plants? i will be growing in a chest with some computer fans hooked up for ventilation. this will be done in a closet.

2. it WOULD be good for the soil, but think of the smell in ur box and closet.....even WET soil smells a bit....compost would add alot to that especially if there was any fish in it..........fish emulsion Mmmmm

id stick to a soil that your can add nutes to.....promix hp or something along those lines....just a thought....

3. Compost doesn't smell bad...In fact, it smells great, rich and earthy. The key is to compost (decompose) the material thoroughly. IMO, a nutrient rich growing medium beats feeding your plant in an inert medium.

The only possible down side is the risk of pests that could be living in your compost heap and be mixed in your potting mix. I have tried sterilizing mine once but it was a pain in the a$$.

4. Agree again with OldSkool, compost does not smell bad, nor is it wet and slimy. Properly matured compost has NO resemblance to the materials used to make it - it is a brown powder with an earthy smell.

5. Yep makes you want to work your hands in it.

6. Agreed. Compost is a great additive for your soil mix. You really can't do much better as far as providing nutrients for you little babies.

Good luck.

7. bump for some good info and maybe a person doing a grow journal with compost

8. Compost is ONE of the ingredients that will go into my growing medium for next year. I have already started the grow thread., OK, way too early.