Compost Crisis

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by atrain420, Nov 17, 2012.

1. So I've had this compostfor few years and I wasn't thinking but when I was throwing scraps from fruits and veggies in there I was adding their seeds to the rich nutrient compost. So now every time I use the compost to grow different plants tomato plants take over. Is there anything I can do. I've tried letting the tomato plants grow some and rip them out but they seem to regenerate and keep coming back. I am chained to being a tomato farmer please help!

2. Let your compost rest somewhere, keep it moist, and then keep turning it for a while until you stop seeing sprouts. You can get rid of some of them this way at least.

3. You can also make it thermal again by mixing in and layering a mess of alfalfa to the piles. It might get hot enough to kill the seeds - maybe...

J

4. atrain, nuisance aside the mere fact that you have seedlings appearing in the compost is the absolute best indicator that your compost is finished and ready for use. So in that sense seeing tomato seeds sprouts is nothing but a good thing. It takes the guess work out of determining if the compost is ready for prime time use.

If it were me I'd be happy about it but I know you ain't me. jerrymate gave you some good advice about heating things up with alfalfa meal. The thermophilic stage of composting, properly done, will kill just about everything you would want killed in a compost bin.

Like I said, I'd personally be happier than 15 mofo's smokin' on some big ol phat if I was seeing seeds sprout out of my compost. It's muy bueno for de plantZ senor. :)

5. I kind of giggle when a tomato plant grows right in the middle of my hosta garden by the mailbox. Its just out of place there.

I just pull the sprouts out and transplant them in my raised beds. Im thinking nature wanted them to survive. Kinda fun too cause its a mystery variety until it starts fruiting. Keeps me from buying veggie plants at lowes.