Complete newbie looking for diy grow box plans

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by stillb, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Hey guys. I want to expand my passion and start growing for my own use. I have a dresser that would work perfectly for a stealth box, however, I don't have a clear idea of how I'm going to transform it into my grow box just yet. If you have any plans you'd like to share with pictures, please do! I'm pretty clueless on where to put the fans/lights in the stealth box and how to attach a carbon filter for smell. Hopefully by seeing some of your plans these questions will be answered. The last thing I need is to burn down my apt... :eek:

2. Hey Still, heres what I made for a DIY box...

[​IMG]

For info on the box check my sig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Depending on what type of dresser it is, I would remove all the drawers and cut out the pieces of wood that seperate the drawers. (So the front where the drawers would pull out would be wide open. Then get a piece of 3/8 plywood and some hinges for a door. I used exterior door weather stripping for a gasket around the door and then I used a latch that would force the gasket to compress and seal.

Good luck, its a fun project!

3. Thanks guys! Nugget- how can I attach a filter to my dresser? Smell is a huge issue here.

4. you could put it offside to your light at the top and then have the fan outside pulling from inside. get a real filter and just be careful about the dimentions also very common is to have a cooltoobe or aircooled hood and have it pull air throgh the filter and then throgh the hood and finaly outside

5. I think I would need to have the fan on the inside of the stealth box to reduce the noise (and stealth). Are there any cooltoobe faq threads? I'm trying to see what my best option is. Ugh. This is going to be a difficult project.

6. i dont think there is enough space inside the cabin to put the fan on the inside what are the dimentions ? also cooltubes are just a class pipe where there bulb sits in and air rushes past it reducing heat tremendously i think a 400w is all that you can handle in such a confined space. anyways thinking about it it could be possible to make the cooltube fan and filter form an S with the tube in the middle filter on the top of the s and fan at the bottom so to say. but this will require a more powerful fan as you loose power with every bend there is in the way the air travels. Anyways good luck, just a question thogh who are you trying to hide the grow from ? if this is your parents or something similar you are never gonna be able to do a stealthy enough grow to do that.

7. I would be careful smell is a very hard thing to control even with a carbon filter it will sometimes bleed out. And of course it's already flowering when the smell picks up so it would suck having to cut down early :/

8. Okay, so I have another question. After researching and reading a shit ton (my eyes are hurting) I've decided to use CFL bulbs and have my exhaust fan on the top back of the dresser. This brings me to my next question. I've read that you don't need an intake fan as long as you have an intake hole...but how does this prevent the smell from leaking out through the intake hole? I understand the negative force in the grow box, I just don't get how the smell wouldn't come out through that hole. And I live in an apt with 3 other roommates. I will be hiding it from them. The dresser is about 4 ft tall, 3 ft wide, and 2 ft deep. Can anyone give me the full names of the fans I need? The exhaust fan and the fans for the inside? And where I can find a carbon filter and how much it will be. I feel like I'm at least a little bit closer to figuring out my plans. I've started my check list of supplies needed...lol

9. If you're living in a shared house and keeping it secret from them you should also consider how it's gonna affect the electricity bill which you presumably split. They might notice a spike if it's significant.

Someone else can probably help you out with the specifics regarding smell.

10. Good luck.. Charcoal filter 4 in and good candles..

11. Max can or something like that.

12. Ur bill will go up maybe 20.00 $..

13. True, with a small scale CFL grow, but something to consider if the OP ever decided to expand his grow with HPS or anything.

14. With a 600 watt hps it still will be around 20.00$ if your going 12 hours..

15. Electricity must be cheaper in America than here then. That'd probably run nearer the equivalent of $50 here, a noticeable amount.

On topic, OP, have you thought about how you're gonna get all the supplies into your room without your roommates noticing. Not exactly normal to have a bag of soil and nutrients in your bedroom.

16. Get some house plants and get ur brad Pitt on.

17. Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. If I had ure setup, I'd probably go with a 400 in that space, as 600 seems overkill. I use a cool tube in my grow boxes, with a 600 that is. I find it helps tremendously with heat control. U do lose a few lumens and get a smaller light footprint but that's not too much of an issue in a small space, especially with hid's. You would be best getting a marginally bigger extract fan than needed and using a fan speed adjuster or plain old dimmer switch for a few kwid. This way if the temps sky rocket during a hot period during a project you're covered. Simply attatch the fan at the top of the cab and leave a hole at the bottom to let air in. If you cover inlet / outlet holes in ladies tights / stockings you let air pass freely but light only has limited penetration thus the neighbours won't see the light so easy. Is stay away from cfls personally, best results are m.h. in veg and h.p.s. for flower. Save money and get 1 h.p.s with ballast, then get 1 m.h. bulb of the same wattage. Install a switch to bypass the starter in the ballast. Mg will work no probz this way with the starter bypassed in an hps ballast, won't work the other way round though sorry. U can leave the starter in but the my bulb will blow afta around 6 months. Or just get the hps and ballast then get an mh conversion bulb too. At most ure lookin 100 kwid. Line ya box in panda poly, cheaper than mylar round here see, or paint it all Matt white inside. I'd go with the dog method in that space mate, saves time too. Lots of small plants at half to an oz usually. Ad say 200 kwid for a his setup in your box.100 odd on lights, 30 on an inline fan, 15 on reflective plastic, n the rest on sum pots, soil mix n possibly perlite / vermiculite depending on what you get soil wise n sum fertilizer, any plain ferts will do really, no need for expensive stuff just make sure its not slow release n obviously get the 1 for your stage, like high nitrogen for veg. For the smell ad definately go out of any nearby exit, like air vents, Windows, loft hatches are usually not a gud idea lol. Afta that its a carbon filter. U can build these but yal have an easier life bying 1. N the smell won't leak outta the holes cuz all the air is cummin in, with internal negative pressure as you said. Hope any of this helps matey

18. #19 gunnarig, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
    you need a carbon filter and a POWERFUL fan now put it this way. if you dont have a filter they will smell it. if you have a fan powerful enough to keep a neg pressure they will probably hear it. now if you dont have a fan they will smell it. and yes you can have the intake just as a hole and then just the exhaust linked to the fan and the filter combo. also dont do a diy filter get a real one it is more expensive but it will work for 2 years while a diy will do a month and then breakdown releaseing smell everywhere if it breaks on the wrong time you are in troble

19. Thanks guys for the replies. I've found the people on this forum to be very helpful! I'm still undecided about the lights... for me, cheaper would be better since I'm funding my project on a part time pay check. Can I find a carbon filter at a hardware store? I don't think ordering online will even be an option for me. I'm still worried about heat using the MH and HPS lights. And also, the plan was to just have the air filtered then returned to the outside(as in the outside of the box in my closet)... will this work *with a good carbon filter?