Competitive Gaming

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Vicious, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Where are the competitive players here? I use to play CoD:UO (Original PC and superior COD) and BF2 competitively and picked up again for MW2. Mostly ladder stuff and a couple money matches.

Now I focus on fighting games, mostly Dead or Alive, Blazblue and Guilty Gear. CEO2012 is coming up this weekend which is the largest tournie on this east coast, second largest in the US next to EVO and one of the largest in the world. Unfortunitly I missed the the deadline and won't be able to play for money which I think I had a very good chance in playing top 5 for BlazBlue, I think I may still go to watch and play casuals with some of the greatest players in the world.

How many of you have that competitive drive?

I am very excited and hope I can make it, both Diago and Justin Wong will be there.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM]Evo moment #37 - YouTube[/ame]

2. I used to play WoW 'Competitively' :<

3. Played a lot of BF:BC 2, Counter Strike Source, TF2, RO2 SC2(my favorite)

There's a huge number of competitive games !

4. #4 Vicious, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
    You don't have to tell me, I was playing bf1942, bf2, Medal of Honor, CS 1.6 (CSS was good), CoD: United Offense, the FPS that got it right. Console game has ruined it. If I could use Q and E to peak around a corner to do a quickshot (iron sight) snap shot exposing 1/3 of my body in 2003, why not now? Because PC > Console. Not enough buttons and they're made for casuals.

Hori (my favorite arcade stick company) made this, I really want it. I've been wanting to build a PC to play FPS competitively again.

http://elitechoice.org/2011/10/19/h...and-mouse-now-available-for-pre-order-at-100/

5. #5 Floydian, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019

6. Let's see... I've played in clans since Battlefield 1942. The level of seriousness have varied though between clans and games. I do have the one clan that is the mothership so to speak, that I always return to at release of something new and exciting. We're a good gang. If enough of us find it's a game worth putting an effort into, we play to win. Though more often than not, we just tinker with a game, and then join sister clans from the (norwegian) community that gravitate towards this or the other game.

Besides 1942, my main clan did very well in BF:Vietnam back in the days. We had first place on clanbase for a while. Then we tinkered with CoD4, nothing really came of it, but great fun for some casual gaming. Then came BF2. My main clan did very well in that game, at least amongst nordic clans. I did not have the time to get that involved, so I played BF2 in a more casual 12v12 format clan, rather than the highly competitive 8v8 format.

Then more tinkering with CoD:WaW. I still play it, but public fun only. BFBC2 was played with a clan consisting of many norwegian old-timers from the previous BF games. This clan continued with BF3, and I did play a few matches with them. But again I found out that I really don't have the time to play competitively. So back to the mothership for casual fun with the rest of my old crew. It's gotten so casual that mostly we just pub in WoT...

That is, the ones who's not gotten addicted to Diablo III

I'm to old to play twitch based games and expect to do good. I need games that are slower paced :D

7. Never actually done competitive gaming but I bet me and my brother could have rolled with the best of them in SSBM. Played that shit for so long always having epic battles between luigi (me) and dr. mario (bro), oh and fuck pill spam.

Also when I was way into TF2 (50+ hours a week), I was starting to get pretty damn pro with huntsman sniper and battle engi. I was a straight up Robin Hood for a time. :D

I specifically remember this one night in this arena server I used to play on a lot. Nearly everyone in the game was drinking or blazing regularly and we played for like 4 hours straight rofl. It seemed like everyone had drunk/weed gaming strength because all of us were playing flawlessly. Having some crazy ass battles and epic showdowns.

One of the most competitive rounds I remember this guy got killed first and spoke up on the mic in the perfect drunken voice.
    " Man I could watch you guys battle it out in TF2 forever, shit is way more entertaining than any movie or tv show, FUCK MY TV!" :devious:

8. I'm struggling finding a game nowadays that I enjoy enough to play competitively. When I was younger I played a lot of Unreal Tournament and Quake III Arena. I didn't have internet then, so all of my gaming was done in local tournaments where I placed alright, but never won.

Eventually, my computer couldn't handle new games, I and switched to console. I began playing Halo 2 competitively and got quite good. Every tournament me and my clan entered, we either won, or were the runner up. The latter never happened very often, we decimated all local competition and did a lot of matches against the pro clans at the time. They were a force to be reckoned with though. It was rare when we took out the guys who were playing for MLG. My specialty was SWAT matches. I always lead our team when we played that variety by large margins.

After Halo 2 ended, due to Halo 3 and the Xbox 360 coming out, I invested in another PC and began playing COD 4 regularly with some BF2 on the side. I was better at COD then, so I stuck to that. Eventually the scene began to die because of WaW and I've been out of the competitive scene for a while. I just can't find a game now that I'm all that serious about. I miss that drive to become better than the competition. I miss gripping on to my mouse or controller feverishly because the matches were so intense and so close. I miss the feeling of knowing you're down X points, but making that comeback and winning. I've pretty much turned into a casual gamer now.

I also had a year where I played nothing but DDR and Pump it Up. Went to two conventions and won in one, and third at the other. That was a fun time, but I got sick of it quick.

9. That's what everyone says until they realize half the match is going to take place off the edge of the map and the other half will be spent missing hits on someone airdrafting circles around them :p

10. Only game Iever played competitive was Warrock...was a fun FPS but lack of the makers of the game caring for it it started to suck cause of hackers

11. Yea I didn't mean roll with the best of em as dodge rolls, I meant just compete rofl.

90% of our battles were definitely aerial, me with my karate chop and his super ground punch. Damn I miss SSBM... :p

12. Dude i miss unreal tounamemt so much. That gme was so fuckong fun!

I wish they would make a new one, nd it kicked ass

13. Certainly. According to Epic games, they have no plans to create another one because the last few have been flops (because they were on console and it's not a game meant for console). It's a big disappointment because I would give anything for a new one that was successful. I'd play it nonstop!

14. fuck epic games. money hungry faggots

i play competitive halo. never in a leauge or tournament. but i am an elite gamer and strive to be the best in every game i play.

entered two tournaments and won the first one. it was a soul caliber 2 tournament. other was a ssb 64. if i could have practiced i would have won the smash bros tourney for sure.

15. Oh man! I forgot all about Soul Calibur 2. That was a favorite for me. Every year I went to the local anime convention, they set up a casual SC2 tournament. I usually faired pretty well. I won two years in a row with Talim and lost the third year. Then they started doing SC4 and 5. As I mentioned, I don't have a new console, so I haven't been able to play any of the new ones. =(

16. The idea of using any Soul Calibur game other than 2 for competition is at the very heart of communism.

It's all fun and games (and bitching about Kilik) until someone who knows how to use Nightmare shows up :p

17. Lol! Kilik was always tough to go against because of the reach he had over most. However, he was more of a beginning character so most of the people I played against who used him played him pretty terribly. I never ran into anyone who actually knew how to use Nightmare. Hell, I didn't even know how to use him. My main was Talim. When I didn't use her it was for Seong Mina or Voldo.

18. Nightmare is a tricky fellow. His slower pace requires a bit of a rhythm, but once he gets going he's hard to stop. His reach is also on par with Kilik's.

Kilik's reach and variety of attacks and block/attack combos make him an absurd hurdle to pass. It's true that a lot of lesser players gravitate towards him and the better players prefer more "respectable" characters, but a good Kilik player can put a whooping on any other character in the game.

Personally I don't see the point in playing as anyone other than Mitsurugi. Just for the sake of enjoyment, what more could you ask for than a Samurai themed combatant on one of the most well designed combat platforms ever. Perhaps one could ask for Link... but that would make one an awful, awful, mean spirited, ill willed person.

:rolleyes:

19. Mitsurugi isn't bad. I didn't play him much because I wasn't big on people with swords, but I could at least somewhat hold my own when using him. When I wanted to use someone with a sword, I usually chose Yoshimitsu because he's just so ridiculous. If not him, then Xianghua. I usually pick female characters in games, and I don't know why.

I think my least favorites were probably Raphael and Charade. I never used them.

20. #20 Floydian, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019