Companion planting to help control pests

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Foxymel, Mar 23, 2019.

1. First I want to say I’ve read links in here until it gave me a headache. Smoked a little til that went away so forgive me if I’m asking stuff that’s already been discussed. I’ve had issues with pests, I can’t tell if it’s aphids or spider mites cause they look similar. I’ve literally taken them off my girls and myself a couple of times. I actually have a good link if anyone’s interested:

List of pest-repelling plants - Wikipedia

Anyway, I have a garden and a lot of potted plants and seedlings of veggies and herbs and flowers. My question is if anyone has has had success with some of the plants on this link or any that aren’t there. Also, for something like cilantro that stays pretty small, is that something you can plant in the same pot (5 gallon) with the girls? NOT neem. They’re in some of my garden plants but haven’t touched basil, cilantro, catnip, chamomile. Basil grows very quickly in a carpet. Btw, it’s extremely easy and fast to grow and is really good in cooking. Plus nothing tastes better or fresher than walking in your backyard and picking organically grown veggies and herbs. For some reason, whatever’s attacking my girls seems to favor MJ! I have an indoor and outdoor grow and they’re both getting hit. They need to either die or go the fuck away!! I normally don’t like killing insects but these guys seem to live to torture my plants. But I would prefer to make them go away. But if they have to die I can live with that.

• Like Like x 1
  2. You might want to try predator/beneficial insects.

3. Where and how can you get those?

4. Okay, never mind on where and how! Google is a wonderful thing. They sound awesome and I’m def getting them. How long does it normally take to get them? I read that they bite so can they be used inside as well? My tent is in my room and it would suck to be bitten all night.....

5. Companion planting is a hit and miss kind of IPM (invasive pest management) as are predatory insects.
    Spinosad is the recommended agent for aphids and spider mites.

Outside has different needs primarily against Powdery Mildew and Caterpillars. Neither of which can be controlled with insects or plants.
    Powdery Mildew = Green Cure
    Caterpillars = BT - Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt),

upload_2019-3-23_14-13-52.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-23_14-14-5.jpeg

upload_2019-3-23_14-14-34.jpeg

BNW

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just bought ladybugs from amazon with expedited shipping. 3000 4.5 positive reviews don’t lie! Nots to mention they’re awesome and I can photograph them with my macro lens, which btw is a really good way to check trichomes. I just found this out yesterday after taking closeup photos of my girls. After viewing them at 100% on photoshop after adjustments with sharpness I can see how giid she’s doing! At least I think. I’m hoping she’s got some more flowering time to bulk up the buds.

7. I’ve used dill and cilantro. Idk if it helped but every Tuesday I had cilantro for tacos.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I have both of those growing. Did you plant them in the same pot? And if so what size is your pot?

9. In their own pots, I grow Citronella Plant (not the grass), and 2 types of Tulsi (holy) basil.
    I used to grow Purple Thai Basil (Siam Queen), however, over a few years time, I have found that any plant with purple foliage seems to attract more bugs than it does deter. (purple eggplant, narco purps, etc, all the insects seem to like the purple 'greens'). This may be just my area, other folks tell me the same thing around here, they just haven't drawn the parallel as to what those plants all have in common (purple foliage).
    I use these 3 plants in my grow room in the winter, and in my greenhouse in the summer.
    I also grow aloe, but for other beneficial reasons.
    cheers
    os

10. #10 Possuum, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    @Foxymel ive done a fair share of companion planting and by far have had the best results with chrysanthemum. every year i plant fresh ones in the corners of the outdoor raised beds and if i use them indoors in their own container. there are several different genera and ive never picked one over the other except for color.

mums are very pungent and somewhat offensive imo. they're nice looking and ime they absolutely do help with repelling many types of insects. smart outdoor gardeners will have at least one at the head of every row imo. indoors ive had them in the grow spaces but frankly indoor garden pests are not something i deal with often and when i do have to deal with something nefarious like mites i use pyrethrin (not pyreTHROID). it's worthy of note that two species of chrysanthemum produce the natural insect killer pyreTHRUM. pyrethrum is aka pyrethrin in todays science circles. and yes, pyrethrin is nop certified for use with limitations.

11. double post...

12. does poop from 3,000 lady bugs land on the soil? I always find it difficult locating citronella

13. Yes. I have some five gallon or so pots. They’re wider than a 5 gallon bucket though. I really love these pots. I’m horrible at watering and these have been my savior for my measly harvests.
    IMG_0001.JPG

14. I put marigolds next to my outdoor girls. I have 2 in and 2 out. I’ve had my indoor girls on a 24/0 light schedule. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or not but they’re looking healthy and growing fast so I don’t think it’s hurting them. It’s also interesting to have 3 plants of the same breed with one growing outside and 2 inside. The one outside is taller and inside girls are a lot bushier. starting lst tomorrow. Hopefully I can get her shorter and bushier. I thought about topping one but I read that topping autos is a bad idea.

I have more marigolds I’m going to put in my indoor tent. I can’t plant mums because there poisonous to animals and my dog and cat go outside a lot. I’m growing catnip which makes my kitty happy. :)

Has anyone used ladybugs before? I’m so excited to have ladybugs!!! They are so cute! And hopefully they will take care of what I think is the beginnings of an aphid invasion. It’s pretty scary how fast they multiply so I paid a lot extra for speedy shipping so i should get them on Tuesday. Would ladybugs be unhappy in a grow tent? Or die? I didn’t think about that....

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mine are fabric pots. I think its easier not to overeager with fabric pots. When they have enough water the water comes out of the sides before the bottom. I planted my tomatoes in fabric pots too. I love them and they’re pretty cheap. I was looking at pots at Home Depot and Wal-Mart and even Amazon and they’re pretty pricey, I found them at the dollar store! A lot of different sizes with holes at the bottom. What a find!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ladybug poo is not something I thought about. Should I be worried about smoking poo-buds? lol

17. that might be the big secret to the skunk varietals - essence of ladybugs.

and yes! marigolds rock as companion plants. cant go wrong with those either.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. How big were they? I’d definitely get some of those. I tried a tomato plant last year in a wal-mart bag. We have three months of 100 degree and it was dry everyday. Inside I think they would be better. I have 20 gallon fabric pots outside this year, but I lined with cardboard to hold in water. And I’m thinking the worms will love it in there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I bought s bunch of plants including marigolds on clearance at Lowe’s for 50 cents. They were very sad looking. I took them home and repotted them with good soil in bigger pots and a day later they were happy and healthy and now growing nicely. I never knew they had clearance plants. They were mostly root bound. I’m going to get more clearance plants! I guess it’s cheaper for them to not have to spend the money on repotting.

I think I’ll plant a couple of herb plants that don’t grow very big in the pots. Maybe cilantro, dill, chives? And I have some petunias growing. Bonus with the flowering plants and all the veggies and herbs maybe it will make the ladybugs want to hang around. I’ve been reading mixed reviews about using ladybugs. Well they’re not going to hurt. And my daughter is super excited about getting ladybugs!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Its something to think about or consider researching. Cant be that bad tho if you dont mind it yourself