Companies that dont do random drug tests or overlook THC; Colorado

Discussion in 'General' started by alwaysamilehigh, Dec 30, 2013.

1. #1 alwaysamilehigh, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
    I quit smoking 3 weeks ago so I could find a second job as my current one does random drug tests inside the store. Since I'm ready to pee clean (after chugging a bunch of water), I'm ok with a pre-employment test, but this random shit has got to go. I don't want to go through the hiring process with 5 or 10 employers trying to figure out who cares and who doesn't. Even worse than that would be taking a job thinking it's only a pre-employment test and finding out after a couple months they do randoms every year. I'm still in college however I have a good resume for just about anything outside of the food industry and have no interest in working in the food industry (hence my problem). Data entry, data analysis, sales, retail, or customer service jobs are at the top of my list. I need to be making at least 12.50-15.00 to be willing to leave my current job. I live in Colorado so I'm considering a job as a budtender but I'm not sure if they pay enough.

Almost every other thread on this topic is worthless, so I'm not expecting much.

Ideas I have gotten from brainstorming and browsing the forum:
    Security, anything retail, any job in the cannabis industry, and warehouse jobs.

2. Warehouses in the aurora denver area always need new people. I've worked for 3 different warehouses and have never been tested.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

I'm pretty sure the place will tell you that in advance, if not verbally it would be in documents you get from them. Where I was hired, I passed an initial test. Then I was told there would be a probational period of 90 days where I will get randomly tested. Beyond that, they'll test if they have reasonable suspicion; e.g. smelling like marijuana, talking about smoking... anything that you would be stupid to do in a professional work environment anyway. Since this is a factory, material handlers will be tested every time they drop something (so that's not a good job for a stoner). All these things were laid out in advance, like I said. 

But basically, as long as you're not a fuck off and don't give them a reason to test you, you won't get tested (unless they say they're going to test you). And in the worst case scenario, a drug test positive for marijuana may get brushed off if you've proven yourself as an honest/hard working employee--especially considering you live in Colorado (I live on the east coast where marijuana laws are still very harsh for the most part).

ANYWAY, you mentioned warehouse work, but that may involve forklift operating which I wouldn't recommend (see above). I'm biased since I work in a factory, but you can make good money. I was making about $20/hour straight out high school--granted that's higher than normal, but this is a "hazardous" manufacturing plant. I imagine a normal factory will pay your within your $12.50 - 15/hour range, maybe more + benefits. 

4. #5 alwaysamilehigh, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2013
    thank you. where would i go about finding and applying for one of those jobs? craigslist? i just moved here a few months ago so im not real familiar with the area, yet.

most companies that have stores in multiple states have to follow federal guidelines for drug-testing so because of that most places still aren't cool with weed or the hiring managers don't have the authority to be cool with weed.

at my current job i dont think they told me in the interview. the manager that hired me though was cool with sending people home when the drug test guy was on the way, as long as he knew you were only smoking weed. not sure if the normal managers would discuss that in the interview but i just want to play it safe and find a job i can keep a while.

5. No, you're right--I found out about the rest of the drug tests during orientation (after being "hired").

My company has facilities in multiples states as well as multiple countries. What I mean is that they might not fire you instantly if you fail a test... if I get tested at this point, I wouldn't be fired. Although, I also wouldn't be able to smoke again (a second failed test would mean I'm fired). 

6. Go to a restaraunt and apply to do dishes or cook food. Thats what i do and they never drug test. I only make 10 an hour which sucks but i cant find a better job right now.