Community College? Whats your opinion?

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedasmoke, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Dropped out of a university last year (my freshmen year) ..

Ive worked a hard labor job since then and obviously ive come to realize i dont want to be doing this my whole life..

I have a couple grand left after paying back my dad, is Community College worth it?

Anyone go to one now? Whats your take on it..?

Thanks

2. Well worth it if you're smart and want to work hard. It's economical and the quality of the instruction is really good as long as you're not just the average dumbass.

Most of my classmates are average dumbasses. I wish there were more capable students, but on the other hand, I can still be a lazy bastard and end up looking like a star.

3. If you choose the right program and dedicate yourself to a career it could be very rewarding. If you dick off its going to be a waste of money. Get in there get it done and reap the benefits afterward.

4. wtf you mean is it worth it? lol what do you think?

5. if you qualify for financial aid youll probably end up making money by going to a community college.

its definitely worth it if youre that worried about money...
    i tried it, only lasted a semester.

had to move out & live my own life.

6. I didnt drop out because im a "regular dumbass" i had a 3.2 gpa.. thats not bad for not even studying..

i just really hated it there to the point where i had to leave.

and im asking if its worth it because honestly i get a lot of people telling me the level of education is really shitty and you can get screwed over by things that arent transferable after your time there.

7. u have to do what u think is right for u..us telling u what we think may only confuse u even more. honestly u need to always have a back up so u can insure a decent future for yourself,whatever you decide just make sure to always have a back up plan

8. #8 grizzlybearman, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
    It's worth it if you plan on transferring to a 4 year college.

To make it worth it you need to get good grades there, then major universities will recognize your app and admit you. From there, you'll start with a fresh GPA in a tougher atmosphere with the study habits you've formed in comm college to back you up

If you're going to go and diddle around don't go. There's no point in wasting money. But if you do plan on getting an education, community college is a way better place to knock out general education credits (your basic maths, english, so on)

Comm college around here was like 2200 a semester. The public uni I attend now after transferring is 5500. Might as well bank in that cheaper price and stack credits before you transfer. No point in paying the big bucks at a big uni to get credits you can get at a community college. You'll find community college is a bit easier in terms of coursework. However, if you don't plan to learn don't go. It should only be used as a stepping stone for specific certifications or to the 4 year bachelors you have in mind. An associates from a community college (which is a 2 yr degree) will not get you anything worthwhile. At least not in my experience.

9. I would say that it depends on what type of program you're looking into. In some cases a degree from a community college would be beneficial.
    Business and engineering are two things that I think would be really beneficial when it comes to finding a job right now.

If you want an education and aren't so worried about the degree, check out coursera.com. They have actual classes from actual respected universities, for free, and in a lot of cases you'll get a certificate for completing the class. It's a decent way to get education in certain areas without going into debt, if they have classes in the area you're looking at.

10. yeah apply yourself in comm college

11. Dude, you're too good for community college, time to move on.

12. gwt in and do nursing, respriratory therapy or anything healthcare...well worth it

13. Strong advice bro.

lol he dropped out he obviously isnt too good for shit. he can acquire skills he was lacking in university for example, disciplin. no offence op.

14. im filling out the app now, its asking if i want to earn a degree at the comm. college.

is it better to get the degree there? can is till transfer after that?

or is it better to just do some classes here and then transfer somewhere better..

sorry guys honestly my guidance counselor did most of this shit when i was in high school so this is really my first crack at it..

15. I'm working on a two year degree that quickly moves up into $50-60k. Keep your head pulled out of your ass, work on some additional certifications and you move up over $100k.

But you have to be willing to do the work. I'm going to school and working as a volunteer. Maybe 2 years of working for nothing but experience.

16. and im getting the feeling "ptownroll" doesnt like me very much lol

17. ive been to two different state university's, waste of time and money.

enrolling in a community college next year, id rather just get some BS degree that i only pay like 1k or 2k for instead of paying 80k for a degree i dont want...

18. Make your way out to the actual college and ask them these questions. They will help you and answer all of your questions.

19. dude thanks for this, that site looks awesome