Coming Out of the Closet

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Mindcore, Mar 18, 2008.

1. I wanted to start a discussion with my fellow Marijuana enthusiasts about coming out of the closet as a pot smoker.

I yearn for the day that pot has total decriminalization, at which point I plan on smoking publically and proudly.

But right now I don't know what to do.

I tell my friends who smoke that I smoke, but how do I find out they smoke. Sometimes I break first, and I've just had a lot of luck.

But I'm also trying to become an academic professional, and I am afraid that my pot smoking will somehow impact my professional opportunities.

How do you guys and gals handle this difficult crossroad?

I mean I want to be out of the closet as a pot smoker, but I don't want to fuck myself in the process.

2. im not really in that situation, im a 19 year old, with long hair, tattoos, wear tshirts with metal bands on them, and work at a sandwich shop. i think people assume i am already haha.

i guess just tell the people that you know wont mind. with you trying to be an academic professional, id try and hide it from people that will hinder that. i know it sucks to have to hide it, but i wouldnt sacrafice a career for that.

3. No disrespect but I feel like I might be you 10 years down he line.

I still have lots of tattoos.

I still werar band t-shirts.

I shaved my head, but my hair was down to my midback a week ago.

I can't help but wonder what state do you live in?

I live in Texas.

4. None taken.

well, again, all i can think of is when it comes to the people that can hinder your professional success, just don't tell, or even deny if asked.

i know it sucks, but unfortunetly it's the world we live in.

5. We need more marijuana users to come out of the closet. Apathy is the biggest enemy of progress. Good luck with the academic career, at this point you can't really be open about it until you get tenure ;)

6. Man, I hope your wrong about the tenure thing.

I'd like to be more out of the closet sooner.

What do you think about being really out of the closet with my NORML activism?

7. Know your shit. That's my recommendation. For people who react apprehensively ask them why they do and talk to them about it. Fight ignorance with logic and knowledge. Good luck man.

Btw, I'm on "honor roll" and completely open about my marijuana use, even to some teachers.

8. I'm leaning this way more and more all the time.

9. Well that comment about tenure was more of a joke. I would love to be an out-of-the-closet stoner, and I try to be, but I guess it really depends on the others. If somebody, including a teacher, were to ask me if I smoke cannabis, I would tell them the truth. I am a Dean's List student, I am active in my community, a member of several honors societies, and I will tell anyone who asks me, that marijuana has not at all been a hindrance to me - that with responsible use, it is not a problem on either a societal or individual level, people just need to take responsibility. My family (except for my little sister) knows that I am a user of cannabis, and the only people that I would hide it from are younger people - because I am a strong supporter of the idea that young people (I'd say under 18), should not use cannabis, cigarettes or alcohol.

As for NORML activism, it is nothing to hide, after all, there are plenty of people who support NORML that are not users of cannabis (read: it is not "evidence" that you partake in anything illegal). I think NORML activism is important because its goal is to spread education and awareness - the criminalization of cannabis hurts everybody! Go be an activist! :hello:

10. well said.

11. +rep if it lets me. That line right there... fucking amazing man.

12. Sooner or later if enough productive citizens who are pot smokers come out of the closet I think legalization comes closer. Or at least I hope so.

13. I'm a college student currently studying to be a high school history teacher and I may try to become a college professor. I got caught smoking in my dorm and was told to move off campus. Luckily I wasn't arrested but it came close to ruining my professional aspirations so I've since been a lot more careful about my smoking habbits.

I don't make it a secret among most of my friends and some professors that I smoke. My parents found out when I got kicked off campus but they think I've quit since then. Most people say I don't look like a pothead so no one really knows unless I tell them. In some ways that's good because it shows that smokers are as diverse as any other group of people.

The problem is that since pot smokers in "prestigious" positions can't risk their jobs, they have to keep it on the down low. I'm sure there are plenty of cops, gov't officials, professors, lawyers, and of course doctors that smoke regularly. But they risk their jobs if they come out of the closet about it. The most they can really do is say they support legalization but that alone is enough to ruin your professional reputation sometimes. And a few doctors and government workers saying they simply supprt it doesn't actually help us achieve much.

Personally, I think the best way to get weed legalized is to prove that people who smoke regularly can "blend in" without harming others or hurting the overall social integrity of society. People are brainwashed into thinking that weed is a degrading drug that will make you lazy and stupid regardless of what you're like when you're not high. We need to show people that we can be productive members of society and still be users. We need to prove that it's no more harmful than alcohol and that slowly it will blend into American culture in the same way.

14. I never told anyone that I smoked weed.
    everyone just can tell for some reason.

i have long hair, i skate, and i always seem to act like im blazed.
    so i don't really have a problem with people knowing really.

15. Indeed, it does seem stereotypes can help sometimes.