colors

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by gnarkill, Feb 24, 2009.

1. i was thinking of putting alot of food coloring in my plants the next time i germinate some seeds (tissue/ glad container) for about a week in a warm dark place. when i was in highschool, my class injected food coloring in chicken eggs and it turned the chickens baby feathers different colors when they were born. i was wondering if i dyed the germination water, and maybe used colored water on my plants, could i dye them different colors? that would be fun.

2. The food coloring likely dyed the feathers. And the dye wears off. You like the idea of smoking red dye #12 i don't the name creeps me out. Get it real cold when you are growing like 60f or a bit lower, may see some purple.

3. yeah, food coloring in germination water wont do a thing

the embryo is only able to absorb H2O, not anthing else. pure water permeates into the seed, and initiates growth. food coloring wont make it inside.

additionally, as bartic said, only the feathers were dyed. IF you dyed the roots, you may kill the plant, and it certainly wont spread upwards as the plant grows.

feeding colored water doesnt make the buds turn that color, or any color. nothing goes straight from the roots to the bud, it is metabolized, similar to our digestion of food. it is processed, and transported through the plant as various chemicals and sugars. food coloring, if it has anything useful, would be broken down into its base components, and as such would retain none of its dying properties.

as bartic said, your best bet is temperature variation. not all plants will color change, but some will. most commonly is purple, but sometimes youll get reddish or blueish hues.

4. Most plants with purple genes will turn color in a temperate climate by having the room in the low 70s during the light period and about 10 degrees cooler at night. I know many that are running ice water while feeding their plants during the last couple of weeks with success. Personally I don't use that technique...just cool temperate room temps are the ticket for me.

Do you have purple plants? (GDP, grape ape, purple bubba, purple urkle, etc)

5. no i never grew before so im just going to do some bagseed from some mids i had

6. food dye during does not work at all. no matter when you use it the smoke is shit, and it just turns black

7. there is a way of coloring it, though, i have to agree with bartic, smoking red #12 is a little gross, anyway though, when your plants are done growing n shit, take the plant out and put it in a vase of water with whatever color you want, the color will travel up the plant, and then you can dry and skit from there

8. I see no practical reason to artificially alter the color of your weed. If your weed isn't fun enough to smoke without it being dyed, you may want to graduate to something harder.

9. just get sum gods gift man. that shits almost pink! theres so many trichomes that it makes the puple a much whiter shade of pink:yummy:

10. :rolleyes: There's a bit of a distinction between cannabis that is genetically predisposed to exhibit colors based on gene markers and cannabis that has its' color intentionally amended using compounds found nowhere within the cannabis organism.

I've smoked plenty of purp varieties and they're all just fine and dandy. But i'm pretty sure it hadn't been made purple by artificial processes.

I'll smoke some naturally hue-skewed weed any day. :smoking: