Coloring Bud

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by imh1m4n, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Wasup Blades :) I've had this idea for a while but didn't try it on my plants as I didn't want to throw away all my hard work. I saw this thread: Turning Bud Purple idea - Grasscity.com Forums so thought I woul post my idea.

Anyway I was just wondering what would happen if you watered your plants with natural food coloring mixed with water? I don't know if it would harm the plants thats all, I'm pretty sure it would work, like the experiment you do in primary (junior school I think lol) where you stick celery in a pot of colored water and it soaks the water up and it turn the same color of the food dye.

I know it's silly but lets not kid ourselves, we all like the look of purple bud ;)

2. just like the human body, the marijuana plant will reject stuff it does not need. marijuana is a far more intelligent plant than a stalk of celery. it's like comparing a humans body to a fish. it may make systems turn color, but I highly doubt it will change the buds. but I'm just bullshitting and therorizing. :)

3. Lol ok, I doubt it would harm it though, may try it lol.

4. Lool, I still might try.

5. Meh, I reported him for discussion of other drugs lol.

6. I heard if u water with cool aid it will turn the color of the mix. I don't think i would try it.

7. #8 RooRgle, Oct 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011

I've heard the exact same thing. Some other things you can try...*EDIT* ^ I thought this guy said cool water not cool aid, my bad. No I heard cool aid does absolutely nothing, but COLD WATER during water actually promotes purple bud. But it also may backfire and shock your roots. If you choose to water with really cold water then do so at then end of flowering, like the last 4 weeks.

Put ice cubes or snow on top of the soil during flowering
    Keep temps low 40-55
    Try using Purple Maxx by Humboldt Country, it's supposed to increase trichomes development, but in some purple genetics strains it will turn the leaves purple
    I've heard food coloring does not turn the leaves/buds purple, but try it, I'm not stopping you.

Keep in mind the suggestions I made will help promote purple bud, however it will also reduce the potency of your weed. I got some Purple Power Fem Seeds by Female Seeds, they only have about 10% THC so pretty low, but they produce super purple buds. They recommend not to grow this strain indoors, but since I live in an apartment I have no choice. It's going to be my winter grow..hopefully they don't herm on me.

*I just finished a Nirvana Short Ryder Auto with purple hues because I kept my temps fairly low. So if you can do this method you will get a purpleish bud. I also want to point out I've NEVER seen a Short Ryder with purple hues, mine is the first, this strain has ZERO purple genetics. My temps only got to 64 degrees at night, and stayed at 75+ during the day, so it wasn't hard. Now this was not what I was going for, but it happened anyways. I could care less if my bud is purple, I just want to get a good clean high off of it.

8. If you want to recreate the celery experiment, put freshly chopped buds in a vase with dyed water. I would never contaminate my precious ganja with some B.S., but that sounds like it could work. Why not grow a purple strain instead?

9. And cos they don't go down to well in English weather lol.

10. I thought they needed a little chill to bring the color on. Is it a mold issue?

11. Was guessin you were Irish do they say meh in england as well?lol should work if it absorbs the dye into the plant cells you'll see the colour in the bud give it a go doubt theres anything that will affect it negatively.hope it doesnt work though everyone will start growing artificially coloured weed, greeny orange is good enough for me

12. Yep, they say meh in England :p Only when were typing. You wouldn't say it if you were talking lol.

13. just drop night time temps under 60 degree for purple effect...

do it all the time.

14. I have heard that the reason why they turn purple is due to phosphorus lockout which occurs at low temperatures so the guy in the thread you linked to who said about using ice on the soil may have a point.

15. it's almost winter here in Canada, my kush plants are 5 days from harvest....my indoor temps get down to 10C at night....the purple has literally *POPPED* in the last 5 days...i turn my fan speeds on max to make it even cooler for the plants. G13 x Haze doesnt turn purple at all (boo-urns), but resin production has definately gone up! i was thinking of putting a few frozen 2 litres in the DWC resivoir, but opted out seeing as how most of the green is now purple. its cool seeing the transition. one day leaves are green, next day they look darker, and darker and darker, finally they're pretty much all purple (except for the milky trich's). days 2 and 3 are neat cuase the leaves will be half green and half purple. i'll post a quick pic here later....maybe..if i remember..lol.

16. i dont think you can turn a non purple gene containing strain purple.
    However you can increase the colouring of the bud using this stuff called Purple Maxx, look it up.
    I think most strains contain genes that colour the plant but they only activate at low night temperatures.

I had about 10 plants outdoor this year and almost every one went coloured due to low temps

17. "just drop night time temps under 60 degree for purple effect...

do it all the time. "
    For how long is it necessary to keep the night temps low? Could I grow a plant until it's almost finished and then just stick the pot in the shed where temps will be ~40F? And leave it for a few days?

18. Oh, just saw not4n's post...5 days!

19. So if purpling is caused by P lockout, would manipulating the pH be a viable way of causing more purple? Just an idea.

Sorry for the triple post, my edit button has disappeared (browser error).