College?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by DutchDragon13, Jan 31, 2013.

1. People complain about college being expensive, which it is, but if you educate yourself on how to successfully take the right classes, and not waste money its not too bad.

For example you can go to a community college and get your electives and/or general education classes out of the way in 1-2 years, savings LOTS of money, get your credits transferred to a 4 year school, and then be able to solely focus on your degree. This allows you to bypass having to live on campus in a dorm, buy a meal plan etc etc which is what is REALLY expensive when it comes to paying for school.

2. Good to know people are finally starting to go after the "green jobs". I see people with coal mining families all pissed off at Obama or whoever because they are struggling to keep work.... all I can say is, maybe you shouldn't have chosen a job that could only be kept around as long as our resources were available.... You can't expect to keep working if your work is based around something that won't be around forever. The more green inventions and the more people who choose these type of jobs the better.

3. Agreed. I hope more and more people follow the green path. I may be called a hippie but I love the Earth and am going to continue supporting her! :)

4. My dad never went to college, makes about 100k a year in construction. His older brother did the same thing his entire life, but with a few years of college in business and a few other things I believe. Anyways he's a multi millionaire that buys then scraps old huge places full of metal, paper mills and shit like that. so i'd recommend it lol

5. You don't know anything.. I have a 2 story house equipped with a hot tub connected to the inside, a big ass bar with thousand dollar signs, master bedroom pretty much everything to ask for and it's all a gift. Now how in the fuck am i supposed to sustain 10g in taxes a year. Or afford solar power? all these things you're talking about require money smartass.

You make it sound like everyone has someone to just bam build them a house and help them with everything and a job isn't required. I'm all for finding a way around life without working 12 hours a day, but i haven't yet. goodluck

6. I feel you bro not everyone is so lucky. I am a pretty lucky person myself, my mom dropped out of high school and ran away. Lucky for her she met some people in a growing business and now makes more than enough money.

With regards to finding a job, there's alot of things one can do, try writing a book for instance, or starting something on the internet, a website,a blog, whatever. I think theres a lot of opportunities for business on the web! :)

7. Sorry I don't believe in a time where all of our products we consume cause pollution, war, and poverty globally are things we should really think we "need" like 2 story houses, hot tubs, bars, and thousand dollar signs. Those aren't needs, those are things that you try to fill your life with to make you happy and leave you wanting more and more things.

Of course it costs money to start up, I even said that in the very first sentence. But self sustainability is something people are doing right now, it's not impossible if you can tear yourself away from all the luxuries of life you believe to be sustainable and important. It's all about what you think you need and what you actually need, if you really wanted to be free from working for someone else for 12 hours you could, but you have to realize the things you enjoy in life aren't needed and they only contribute to a consumer society that causes global problems. You feel like you NEED to buy this and NEED to buy that, if you didn't feel that way your finances could be used to become self sustainable instead of buying things that you want and don't really need. It's all about your personal choices, nobody is forcing you to buy a hot tub over solar panels, that's your choice on how you spend your money.

It's very hard to be thankful when your idea of wealth stems from constantly buying and acquiring things. That's what forces us into those jobs, to acquire and buy things we really don't need and to sustain our basic needs for life. We can easily sustain our lives in the world today, but you have to come to the realization that happiness doesn't stem from consumer items, and that's something our society doesn't understand.

We are led to believe our lifestyle is something that will be here forever, and it won't be. Our lifestyle is the cause of all our global problems, change is a difficult thing to do, especially when you are in a pampered society such as ours. One day or another change will be forced on us Americans, I'm willing and ready for it, so when it does inevitably come (if it happens in our lifetime) I won't be shaken and upset over loosing it all, because I'm not attached to anything except the things that I need to survive. I stay thankful every day I can survive, that's not enough for my husband he's always wanting something, but he too will discover that because our lifestyle is not sustainable and that change will be forced on us if together as a society decide we want to make the changes now. We will be forced out of our lifestyle one way or anther, if we choose to change then we can live lives much like ours today, only in a more sustainable way, if we choose to remain ignorant and pampered, then change is going to be forced on us and it won't be pretty.

8. If you do go into your own business something like that look into what you think will be sustainable personally I think we need to produce food locally so farming as in greenhouses would be what I would want to do. Animals would be good too and if you raise them organically they will be better than store bought stuff. Also green energy and tht stuff.

9. You can see it like this. You need something to make money off because noone will give you anything for free. Remember that money is just a way to ease transferring goods.
    So making money wouldn't have to mean that you actually get money. For example if you had some skillset that made you able to built something out of nothing, you'd still be rich, at least concerning that one good.

So, you need something to make your living. If you don't want to go to college, don't go. There is no sense in trying, because you will definitely fail if you aren't interested.

In the end you can do whatever you want. Studying can make your entrance into the money world, but you can just as good start your own business and make more money in the end. It all depends on thousands of factors.

If you are a good XYZ, try to make a living of it.

If you are intrested in a college major, study it.

What people were trying to say with college is bullshit, hopefully was meant like: You can still have a great life without college (and not as in OMG THEY DON'T TEACH YOU SHIT LOLOLOLOL).

Come on you have weed to smoke and thinking to do. Or do it sober, however you will have to thouroghly think about it. You will find the answer eventually.

(I'm off to continue studying...PM 9:30, finals coming up :eek:

10. ^^^ Hahaha good luck on your finals man :) and thanks for the response and good advice!

11. On the one hand college is good. It can be used to gain skills for technical jobs. It can also just educate you about the world so you arn't an ignorant fuck about what is out there.

On the other hand, it can be just a huge waste of money and time. You can live a good life working a good job without college though.

12. Wtf are you talking about? I get a free kids toy every time I buy a happy meal

13. My father new graduated hs and makes close to $300,000 / yr .
    My brother is 30 , with only a hs diploma making around 110 k

Don't let anyone tell you what is possible or not

14. College sounds great to me, just a matter of what your there for.

15. I go to college and I like it. I go to a technical college though so it's a lot different than university. There's a university right next to my college though so I even get the sexy bitches at the u plus all the sexy cosmetology and nurse bitches that go to my school. Plus I get to get drunk every night because my earliest class starts at 10:30. My life is pretty cool right now.

16. Well yes, in general you need a college/university degree to make the big bucks. If you don't, then you can skip college and get a job at any fast food restaurant, etc. It's the sad truth; it's very difficult to get a high paying job if you don't get a degree.

Then there is the distinction between university/college & community college, which really isn't that big if you're going into the right program. I know people who went to community college and became electricians, plumbers, etc. and make A LOT more than a lot of people I know that graduated from a university.

17. College graduates make an average of $1 million more in a lifetime.

So if you want that extra mil...

18. Take your time.