College WILL become obsolete

Discussion in 'General' started by Jane_Bellamont, Jun 22, 2017.

1. chemistry, bio-engineering, i don't think you're going to learn these things without proper amounts of schooling.. physics, so on and so on..

• Agree Agree x 1

2. Agreed if you didnt need the qualifications to get certain jobs I could be driving a plane right now well attempting too just from watching a YouTube video:lmafoe: or I could be a wall st broker just because I've watched wolf of wall street the film :lmafoe:

3. Look at all the losers with bachelors degrees selling cars or doing any number of random bullshit jobs they could've gotten right out of high school lmao..

College is def on it's way to being obsolete..

Because education, just like monetary supply or the housing market...when you devalue and hyper inflate - a bubble gets created and when it pops, said product/service becomes worth less.

Back in the 90's the government encouraged everyone to 'buy a home'....look how that ended in 2005-ish with the housing market taking a shit :p Same kind of thing will happen with college education. An economic bubble was made so a few could profit while everyone else loses their ass :smoking:

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Your college is not representative of the World's college systems.:coolalt:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. I know too many successful people who've had no college and too many losers with college degrees (who have nothing going on in life) to think college education is headed in the right direction :smoking:

6. Again, not representative of an entire system.:coolalt:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Empirical evidence sometimes means much more than the prevailing logic..

I know too many losers with college degrees, way too many :p

And guys like my old commercial landlord - dropped out of college...and owns a tattoo shop, head shop, and about 20 properties. Styling, living in Medellin, Columbia half the year.

Successful people will succeed with or without a degree.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Think of a big bubble, a really big bubble.

Now imagine that bubble and place a pin dot in the middle, that is your bubble...Empirical evidence dictates that your bubble is less than a tenth of the size of the original bubble, thus your information is indicative of less than a tenth of the entire problem.

I'll be the first to admit the education system has problems, but personalizing a problem like this does nothing for the hundreds of millions of people it potentially affects...We need to fix the bigger bubble for everyone, not just the smaller bubble for you.

#VoteOZA42020!! #ElPresidenteGivesUsFreedom!! #FutureLeaderOfAllTheNeverWorlds!!:coolalt:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Disagree RE college becoming obsolete. The world wide web will always be full of a wealth of knowledge, but as long as jobs keep asking for your credentials that you earned at a 4+ year higher education program, college will not be obsolete. A brain surgeon can't watch 3 hours of a YouTube video then perform surgery with precision and know how. College is necessary for a lot of professions and a lot of people. That's just the way it is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Our educational system def needs an overhaul.

And I'm not trying to say college is all bad....I just think half the people that sign up never should have....they should've went to a trade school/tech school, acquired a skill and got right to work. Instead of spending 4 years partying and never learning any real world skills, then wondering why nobody wants to hire them haha.

It doesn't seem like creating smart, innovative persons is the goal of our educational system. The goal more appears to be creating obedient workers who don't think outside the box. We slip in our academic rankings almost every year and we become more unhealthy each year. So the stereotype of Americans being dumb and fat is literally quite true and well earned. When this is our reputation I think the way we educate people and our idea of what educations is, deserves to be scrutinized and made fun of because we fall far short of getting the job done all the while touting how great we are.

11. Obsolete? No. But I think it is definitely way over rated. Outside of specialized fields, doc, lawers, engineers etc, it is almost useless. It wasn't that long ago that all you needed to land a job was ambition, the willingness to learn and a high school diploma. A associates degree was special. Fast foreword, pretty much everyone goes to college, an associates means nothing. People are graduating from college with little to no skills. Yeah they gained a bit of knowledge, but have learned no useful skills and absolutely no real job experience. Employers have become aware and are starting to drop the degree requirements. Employers know they can hire an 18 year old, teach, train and mold him into an asset. In the same time it would take for someone to finish college, they can have a valuable employee that understands the business and has true experience.

One of my kids graduated college with a bachelors degree in architectural design, landed a nice job in her field prior to graduation. A year later makes about $50k. Not to bad. The other, 5 years younger, went to collage hated it. Dropped out after the first year. Went to an employer got trained, learned the business, proved his worth. Now makes about $80k and has buisness connections, and other employers constantly trying to get him to work for them. He in engineering, not old enough to buy a beer.

12. College? That's crazy, college has been obsolete for centuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

13. It's not that higher education is obsolete, it's just that way too many people go there with no real plan, just because that's what you're "supposed" to do. It's still worth it if you study something hard, and go in with a plan.

The internet is great, but I can't really teach myself things like calculus by myself with little to no instructor input. School is no obsolete for me at least.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Saw this thread and it made me think about the ecpi university commercials that are spammed on Pandora radio.

Anyone think that these treatments are forced? I feel like these students are just saying that "ecpi was the best decision I ever made" just to get paid and use that money to pay on their student debt. The testimonies just seem so...fake.