College WILL become obsolete

Discussion in 'General' started by Jane_Bellamont, Jun 22, 2017.

1. It's the conclusion I've come to.

After 6 months of studying IT, it seems to me that a lot of the teachers there have a pretty old-fashioned, almost out-dated.. approach to teaching computing.

Like I've said, I've learned far more programming, web-design, etc. from YouTube tutorials, and far more quickly .. than I have in any one of my college courses.

Not all teachers are made equal though .. I really liked how the Technical Skills teacher arranged our classes. He used to sometimes bring in broken ipads, damaged laptops, etc. .. put it on the table, and tell us to disassemble them, and re-assemble them. He even brought a robotics kit and VR lenses for us to play around with.

It's a pity that only 20% of the original class ended up sticking out through the end of the course.. because his class was a morning class, and they were too lazy to get up in the morning. There were only like .. 5 of us, just the week before study week.

Only thing I didn't like about him is the fact that he pretty much just gives you a tick for everything without double-checking to see if your answers are right.. I think he was way too easy on us, but I do like his hands-on approach to learning. Practical learning.

Also - the workforce just doesn't work the way it used to anymore. People are more likely to work 3 part-time jobs than a single, 9-5 full-time job where you can walk in every day and stay there for life. It used to be that most people could get a job and then stay there for 20-40 years until retirement .. but those days are gone.

Our economy is diversifying, for the good or the bad. You'd better be a jack-of-all trades. They're already creating Virtual Reality apps that allow you to watch qualified surgeons performing on real patients, for medical students. They also have these robotic gloves that allow someone to remote-control your hand movements. Self-teaching will soon become the norm.

It's a pity that some people have to suffer homelessness and poverty due to our unwillingness to provide a floor for everyone to stand on .. but .. on the other hand, maybe it's good that people are suffering .. because then they will be motivated to do something about it.

Others of course will blame it on immigration and international trade .. ... but then, that's a good thing too. People need to see for themselves whether their political systems work out or not. The truth will always come out the winner in the end.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. College fucking blows...I'm in my junior year and met a lady that is struggling because her degree doesn't mean shit now. She told me to not believe the bs like "no one can take ur education" thats a lie. What you learned could become obsolete because things change so rapidly. It kinda makes you wonder why tf anyone would put themselves in debt

• Like Like x 1
  3. College will definitely not be obsolete.
    Yes it does cost too much here in the USA but to say that it's going to become obsolete is just completely absurd.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Your always a winner to us Janey! :wave:

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I didn't go to college, and I am a genius, well actually I am, my IQ is like 166 or something... too bad I am a dumbass when it comes to emotions

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. What does winning even mean anymore?

7. Nothing, it is just the beginning.

8. The crappiest part about becoming an adult is dealinb with the stupidity of others, normally those up higher in careers, school, etc, also paying for shit sucks...

• Like Like x 1
  9. I remember when I was young and stupidier I said something like "adults have it so easy, they get to do whatever they want, nobody tells them how to act" how very very wrong I was...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. You do have freedom .. often times the problem is, freedom takes sacrifice. Self-organization. Tons of ambition. Otherwise you're just gonna sleep-walk your way back to your cage.

11. Lmfao if only i could sock my younger self in the throat for such assumptions of adult life

Little did i know lol

• Like Like x 2
  12. I should actually go to baking school, I'd straight up rock at that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1

13. I feel ya, I have said some dumb things, I once was under the assumption that buttholes looked like oranges, like when you peel an orange...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Handling bills and responsibility should be a university class, yet statistics is more likely to be taught. The norms we are complacent with today as a result of a systemic failure of institutionalized learning are core to this homelessness epidemic we see today. Being purposefully misguided under educational backdrops of textbook "facts," students never learn more than obedience training.

Outliers of the broken hump curve either drag behind because deemed lazy or dumb or are far too intelligent to be duped by an antiquated system. However, colleges as a whole unit of passing on information will always retain purpose despite lack of competencies in faculties and staff members.

Every generation has some struggle to overcome and the millennial generation has a student loan debt issue to sort out first. The last bubble was the dot com and real estate fiasco and now we face similar economic tensions with Apps, Apples and Androids.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. I'll tell you one thing that college is good for, though .. it's a great alternative to being unemployed and having no income.

You could use your student loan as a temporary allowance while you work on something else like a small business. I knew many dudes in my class who were doing the same, although many others were just delaying the inevitable and screwing around..

Make sure you choose something you're already good at though .. even if it's makeup classes or something. Just be actively working on a business on the side.. and trying to make money off it.

16. Not with elementary and high shcools pushing it like coke.... The soda.

17. YouTube+ AutoZone=the outdating of mechanics
    this is solved with PB&J
    5HZ7YV.gif

18. while i don't really agree with the way you went about saying it, i tend to agree with your line of thinking.. sure, maybe some jobs people won't need a college degree for, like i.t. as the op used in her example, but i don't really find anyone who's willing to go to a dr who hasn't been to college for one, and following med school.. not many people are going to throw their lives on an operating table and let joe shmoe, who never went to college, nor medical school, do some open heart surgery, or any kind of work on their noggins.. plenty of other careers where i can see the only way one could learn the required skills to be a professional in said career would be by going through extensive studying in a college..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. engineering is another one off of the top of my head.. i don't know about anyone else, but i'm not planning on moving into a 50 story high rise that was engineered by tom the plumber, who once again, never went to college for engineering..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. #20 racerboy71, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017
    hey man, i gotta confess, i just recently went on the youtube to figure out how to replace a broken brake light on my car the other day.. i'd never have guess that the whole assembly came out form the outside like it did, i'd have spent half a day trying to figure out how to get it out from the trunk side..
    i figure the way that went, a few more videos and i'll be rebuilding transmissions and rebuilding long blocks in a few days.. :ladiegaga: