College question

Discussion in 'General' started by burnkush, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Hey guys I just have a general question about college. In the US does everyone that wants a bachelors degree have to do the general ed?
    If I want to major in engineering, do I have to take all the general ed requirements? Art and humanities seem like a waist of time.

Im trying to see a counselor but theres a waiting list and seeing that registration for spring is now im trying to get as much information as possible..

Much appreciated

2. You will have to take some worthless classes, but with engineering you take less classes like that as opposed to a business major. But you will have to take a few of them no matter what major

3. In every public school, and most of the private, the answer is yes. Your general education courses are tailored around your major generally, but yes, you'll likely be spending at least two years learning things you have no interest in. The claim is that it provides you with a more well-rounded education and helps you better prepare to deal with people from all walks of life, but if you're a competent person capable of even the least bit of introspection or critical thinking, it is, for the most part, just a way for schools to make more money by elongating the process.

I'd suggest going the route I did and attending a community college for the first two years. I went to a CC for two years, transferred to a four-year university, and I'm about to begin my final semester there. I'm a senior, have a fat bank account from saving money, a Resident Assistant (free room and board plus a stipend payment every two weeks), and will be graduating with at least a 3.85 GPA and recommendations from anyone in my department that I would ask such a thing of. People look down on the CC route, but is definitely benefited me in the long run.

4. Yep everyone has to do gen Ed.
    Mostly 2 years gen Ed with some major courses then the last 2 years all class towards your major and minor

5. Yes unless you go to a trade school, then you will be required to take liberal arts/ general ed. classes as well.

6. [quote name='"jimbobbybob"']You will have to take some worthless classes, but with engineering you take less classes like that as opposed to a business major. But you will have to take a few of them no matter what major[/quote]

So it depends on the major? Cuz im following the IGETC classes that supposedly enables me to transfer to a UC or a CSU (i reside in california)

7. I also agree with junior college route. Save hella money and knock out gen Ed at your local juco.

8. [quote name='"jimbobbybob"']You will have to take some worthless classes, but with engineering you take less classes like that as opposed to a business major. But you will have to take a few of them no matter what major[/quote]

So it depends on the major? Cuz im following the IGETC classes that supposedly enables me to transfer to a UC or a CSU (i reside in california) I just dont wanna be wasting time

9. Most jucos work with uc/cal-state programs.

10. [quote name='"VacuousCL"']In every public school, and most of the private, the answer is yes. Your general education courses are tailored around your major generally, but yes, you'll likely be spending at least two years learning things you have no interest in. The claim is that it provides you with a more well-rounded education and helps you better prepare to deal with people from all walks of life, but if you're a competent person capable of even the least bit of introspection or critical thinking, it is, for the most part, just a way for schools to make more money by elongating the process.

I'd suggest going the route I did and attending a community college for the first two years. I went to a CC for two years, transferred to a four-year university, and I'm about to begin my final semester there. I'm a senior, have a fat bank account from saving money, a Resident Assistant (free room and board plus a stipend payment every two weeks), and will be graduating with at least a 3.85 GPA and recommendations from anyone in my department that I would ask such a thing of. People look down on the CC route, but is definitely benefited me in the long run.[/quote]

Dude you got your shit in check! Im a freshman and my goal is to be in a similar position as you in terms of money saved and good grades and tranfer to a four year

11. Doesn't really depend on major. You have to complete the 120ish credits to get your degree no matter what you're studying. If you're in the IGETC, then you're doing the two years of core requirements, and you're not wasting your time if a bachelor's degree is what you want.

12. [quote name='"powerclean"']I also agree with junior college route. Save hella money and knock out gen Ed at your local juco.[/quote]

Ya for sure man my CC is so chill im happy I went here plus im saving money

13. [quote name='"qwerty man"']

Doesn't really depend on major. You have to complete the 120ish credits to get your degree no matter what you're studying. If you're in the IGETC, then you're doing the two years of core requirements, and you're not wasting your time if a bachelor's degree is what you want.[/quote]

Ok sweet sounds good then. You need 120 credits to get a bachelors degree? That breaks down to 5 classes per semester..am I in the ballpark?

14. Play football or sports. I played football 2 years at juco and earned a full ride. Graduated debt free with money in the savings like previous poster. Whatever route u take just never give up and power it out man! College degrees are like gold.

15. It varies, but 120 is the standard. For example, some degrees require 130-135, and getting a Teacher's Certification requires other things (teaching, basic skills, more hours, etc.).

But yes, 120 is the standard, which breaks down to 15 credit hours a semester if you don't take summer courses. I will graduate with about 130 but I only needed 120 (English major, Creative Writing minor, transfer student).

16. Yes, you have to do your general education work at college; normally this is two years and is called your "lower division" classes. And yes, it can seem like a waste of time but you get out of it what you put into it. You will be able to find some arts and humanities classes that interest you. There are even lower division classes related to engineering. Your time will not be wasted. This is a perfect time in your academic career to take some choice classes and bolster up your GPA :) You will like it.

Good Luck!

Peace, Love, Weed, Good Vibes your way :)

17. [quote name='"Thinker2357"']

Yes, you have to do your general education work at college; normally this is two years and is called your "lower division" classes. And yes, it can seem like a waste of time but you get out of it what you put into it. You will be able to find some arts and humanities classes that interest you. There are even lower division classes related to engineering. Your time will not be wasted. This is a perfect time in your academic career to take some choice classes and bolster up your GPA :) You will like it.

Good Luck!

Peace, Love, Weed, Good Vibes your way :)[/quote]

Thanks for the pep brother

18. [quote name='"VacuousCL"']

It varies, but 120 is the standard. For example, some degrees require 130-135, and getting a Teacher's Certification requires other things (teaching, basic skills, more hours, etc.).

But yes, 120 is the standard, which breaks down to 15 credit hours a semester if you don't take summer courses. I will graduate with about 130 but I only needed 120 (English major, Creative Writing minor, transfer student).[/quote]

Im curious because I only took three classes this semester so I think I'm gonna do three years at my CC because I need to work im broke

19. [quote name='"powerclean"']Play football or sports. I played football 2 years at juco and earned a full ride. Graduated debt free with money in the savings like previous poster. Whatever route u take just never give up and power it out man! College degrees are like gold.[/quote]

Ya I wish but Im crap at football