College question..making schedule and choosing a class

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Wiseguys, Jan 21, 2014.

1. #1 Wiseguys, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    I really appreciate anyone's input on this.

I thought I was going to be able to avoid taking two 400 level history classes in one semester but I don't think that I'll be able to do that.

Right now my schedule looks like this:

Tuesday and Friday
    Spanish 2....10 - 11:15
    HIST411....11:30 - 12:45
    Ethics .......1 - 2:15
    HIST 400 seminar.... 2:30 - 3:45

Intro to music.... Online

This schedule seems pretty good. Spanish is not easy and will take time to learn. I took a semester off after Span 1 too. Ethics and Music are BS pretty much. I'm hoping they're classes that don't take much of my time.

However, there is a religion class that is online also. It may be a good amount of reading and writing though. I'm already going to need to do 200 pages a week for each History class though. It may be a lot more work to do that.

But I have already taken 2 religion courses and I was thinking of maybe getting a minor in religion. It wouldn't be all that many more classes and at least if I took that class it might be more meaningful then a class that doesnt do me much good. If I do choose to get the minor in it.

So I was thinking of dropping Ethics and taking the religion class. The ethics class is supposedly super easy and chill though. I can maybe take it next semester. That would probably result in more work but I'd have a free period where I can maybe get some things done.

There are a lot of days where the seminar class wont meet either so I have short days on those classes. Not sure how much attendance really counts for in the ethics class though either.

I'm worried that I'll be saddled with an overwhelming amount of work between the 2 history classes though. 200 pages to read for each class every week just about. Big paper I'll need to do in seminar class that doesn't interest me a whole lot. I was thinking of putting off taking the seminar but then I won't be able to complete my major like I would otherwise.

But I also wanted to complete the teachers program and maybe get my masters so I may be there longer either way.

Any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks

2. #2 Pokie, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2014
    Damn thats confusing to me right now lol.

I just try to have one "easy" class each semester. Usually it ends up being a general class. That way if things get hard in another class you can neglect the easy class without getting a low grade while you work on the harder classes. Idk if that makes sense.

3. I took two 400 level history classes my senior year, I'd try and space it out. Especially depending on what year you're in, if you're a freshman/sophomore why not?What're the classes?Sent from my SGH-T889 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. Yea I'm a senior, first semester.

My last semester was miserable though.  I don't feel like my break has been long enough.
    I transferred to the school and started as a junior in Spring 2013.  First semester I took 3 history classes.  It was difficult but not miserable.  I was lucky I had the best history professor for 2 of the classes.  2nd semester I took 3 history classes and it was miserable.  Just terrible.  All of the classes expected a lot of reading but I could only really do the reading for one of the the 3.  Basically neglected the others and crammed during exam period.  With 2 history classes in the 400 level, I'll need to be able to focus on those 2 really close, as well as manage my other classes.

The problem too is the professor I have for two of the 400 classes has terrible reviews on ratemyprofessors.  They say he is boring and just a tough teacher.  He has a PhD from Princeton.

I'm worried going into two classes with this professor will be a mistake.  I don't know how well I'll be able to manage both classes.  It is the first 6 weeks of the seminar that demands a lot of reading.  After that it will be just writing a very long research paper on a rather uninteresting topic.  Going to need to do a lot of reading on race inequality/gender inequality, or some kind of inequality in US history.

Last semester was just so awful and I don't want to repeat it.  I had one awful teacher for 2 classes and I feel like I'm headed for a repeat.  I wanted to finish my majors requirements and basically receive my degree after next semester but if I don't take the two 400 classes then it's really unlikely that it will happen.
    However, there may be more classes I need to take either way if I get into the teaching program or want to go for a minor in something.  I'm leaning toward dropping the seminar and adding the religion class.  That way I have a very manageable schedule.
    I don't want to feel like I'm getting lazy and going to easy though.  I don't want to waste time or be too lazy but I'm thinking the best idea is to avoid these two classes with that one professor.

It sucks because it fit my schedule but I just think it will make the semester TERRIBLE.
    I just don't think I can handle them both with this professor.  After taking 3 history classes which werent nearly as serious I kind of need an easier semester.

5. A good schedule, for me at least is waking up no earlier than 10 o'clock and coming home at 2. Aka my schedule haha I like it

6. Classes before 12:30? fuck dat shit

What am I talking about, I never even went to college, what am I doing in this thread?

7. Well I doubt anyone cares but I think I've made a final decision.

I'm going to take Spanish next semester and take the Religion class this semester.  Spanish was at 10am and that's even a little early for me.  This way I can just have 3 classes 2 days a week and then 2 online classes to manage that shouldnt be too tough.
    Start my day 11:30 with History
    Take a break with Ethics from 1 - 2:15
    Then finish my day with 400 seminar from 2:30 - 3:45  (this class will have a good amount of off days too for us to work on our research project)

Then Music and Religion online classes

Seems much better than having to go almost 6 hours straight and having to learn Spanish along with this other stuff.  I'll have shorter days and can sleep in later.

Next semester I'll be taking a 400 and 300 level class so hopefully the workload between those history classes I choose will be easier than my workload I have between the two classes this semester.    10am start time would probably be the worst part and I like to have shorter days too so I don't need to be there 6 hours straight.  Just going to wait a couple hours and then make the add/drop.

8. Dude I'm in 3 400 level history classes this semester including one seminar you just have to do all the reading, pay attention in class, and in the case of most classes learn how to write well.

9. Is your seminar a 1 credit course?  Mine is 3 credit.
    And wow..how come 3 400's?

10. It's a 3 credit course is a pro seminar though