Collection of Buddhist quotes and sayings

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by CardassianMonk, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Greetings everyone. I've decided (with the help of Arnak) to supply a list of Buddhist-related sayings, maxims, whatever you would like to call it. We've noticed a lack of Buddhist-related threads, and decided to provide one with a bit of wisdom, hoping it will guide any fellow Blades along the journey of life. The quotes come from a the Dalai Lama, The Buddha, and more.

"My message is the practice of compassion, love and kindness. Compassion can be put into practice if one recognizes the fact that every human being is a member of humanity and the human family regardless of differences in religion, culture, color and creed. Deep down there is no difference."

"The realization that we are all basically the same human beings who seek happiness and try to avoid suffering is very helpful in developing a sense of brotherhood and sisterhood; a warm feeling of love and compassion for others."

“In the present circumstances, no one can afford to assume that someone else will solve their problems. Every individual has a responsibility to help guide our global family in the right direction. Good wishes are not sufficient; we must become actively engaged.”

"“Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.”

"Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful. "

“I believe that the very purpose of our life is to seek happiness. That is clear. Whether one believes in religion or not, whether one believes in this religion or that religion, we all are seeking something better in life. So, I think, the very motion of our life is towards happiness…”

“As human beings we all want to be happy and free from misery… we have learned that the key to happiness is inner peace. The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion, while love and compassion and a sense of universal responsibility are the sources of peace and happiness.”

"You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger."

“Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.”

"People of this world are deluded. They're always longing for something - always, in a word, seeking."

"The ignorant mind, with it's infinite afflictions, passions, and evils is rooted in the three poisons: greed, anger, and delusion."

2. Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

3. Live in Joy
    in Love

Even among those who hate
    Live in Joy
    in Health

Even among the afflicted
    Live in Joy
    in Peace

Even among the troubled
    Look within
    Be still

Free from fear and attachment
    Know the sweet joy of the way

Master your senses

What you taste and smell
    What you see
    What you hear

In all things
    Be a Master
    of what you do
    and say
    and think
    Be Free

Are you quiet?
    Calm your body
    Calm your mind

By your own efforts
    Waken yourself
    Watch yourself

And live Joyfully

Follow the truth of The Way
    Reflect upon it
    Make it your own
    Live it
    It will always sustain you

4. My friend, what are you?
    Are you a celestial being or a god?

No
    said the Buddha
    Well, then, are you some kind of magician or wizard?
    again the Buddha answered
    No
    Are you a man?
    No
    Well, my friend, then what are you?
    the Buddha replied
    I am awake

5. I'll add a lot of information to this thread when I get some time. Thanks CardassianMonk for making the post.

6. If in our daily life we can smile, if we can be peaceful and happy, not only we, but everyone will profit from it. This is the most basic kind of peace work.
    -Nhat Hanh

Be Content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize there is nothing lacking, the whole world belongs to you.
    -Lao Tzu

7. I'd like to start in a few quotes from Albert Einstein on Buddhism:
    I think this sums up a lot of unanswered questions for people who are ignorant about Buddhism.

8. this is a collection from a blog i posted

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense

There are only two mistakes one can make along the road; not going all the way, and not starting.

There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.

There is nothing more dreadful than the habit of doubt. Doubt separates people. It is a poison that disintegrates friendships and breaks up pleasant relations. It is a thorn that irritates and hurts; it is a sword that kills.

Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good.

A jug fills drop by drop.

All things appear and disappear because of the concurrence of causes and conditions. Nothing ever exists entirely alone; everything is in relation to everything else.

An idea that is developed and put into action is more important than an idea that exists only as an idea.

Even death is not to be feared by one who
    has lived wisely.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.

He is able who thinks he is able.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.

However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?

I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.

I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done.

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

It is better to travel well than to arrive.

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.

No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.

Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.

The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground.

To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

The mind is everything. What you think you become.

--Buddha

9. Here is a quote from the Dalai Lama that I've always liked:

We humans have existed in our present form for about a hundred thousand years. I believe that if during this time the human mind had been primarily controlled by anger and hatred, our overall population would have decreased. But today, despite all our wars, we find that the human population is greater than ever. This clearly indicates to me that love and compassion predominate in the world. And this is why unpleasant events are "news"; compassionate activities are so much a part of daily life that they are taken for granted and , therefore, largely ignored.

10. Gazing intently into the empty sky, vision ceases;
    Likewise, when mind gazes into mind itself,
    The train of discursive and conceptual thought ends
    And supreme enlightenment is gained.

Like the morning mist that dissolves into thin air,
    Going nowhere but ceasing to be,
    Waves of conceptualization, all the mind’s creation, dissolve,
    When you behold your mind’s true nature.

Pure space has neither colour nor shape
    And it cannot be stained either black or white;
    So also, mind’s essence is beyond both colour and shape
    And it cannot be sullied by black or white deeds.

The darkness of a thousand aeons is powerless
    To dim the crystal clarity of the sun’s heart;
    And likewise, aeons of samsara have no power
    To veil the clear light of the mind’s essence.

Although space has been designated "empty",
    In reality it is inexpressible;
    Although the nature of mind is called "clear light",
    Its every ascription is baseless verbal fiction.

The mind’s original nature is like space;
    It pervades and embraces all things under the sun.

11. If it bleeds it leads. News stations would rather show something frightening and terrible then something heartwarming. I kinda get the quote but it makes me think how the news stations pour bad news into peoples heads nonstop.

12. #12 OldDaffy, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
    Five Subjects for Frequent Recollection

Jarā-dhammomhi jaraṃ anatīto.
    I am subject to aging. Aging is unavoidable.

Byādhi-dhammomhi byādhiṃ anatīto.
    I am subject to illness. Illness is unavoidable.

Maraṇa-dhammomhi maraṇaṃ anatīto.
    I am subject to death. Death is unavoidable.

Sabbehi me piyehi manāpehi nānā-bhāvo vinā-bhāvo.
    I will grow different, separate from all that is dear & appealing to me.

Kammassakomhi kamma-dāyādo kamma-yoni kamma-bandhu kamma-paṭisaraṇo.
    I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and live dependent on my actions.

Yaṃ kammaṃ karissāmi kalyāṇaṃ vā pāpakaṃ vā tassa dāyādo bhavissāmi.
    Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I fall heir.

Evaṃ amhehi abhiṇhaṃ paccavekkhitabbaṃ.
    We should often reflect on this.

13. We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.
    Speak or act with an impure mind
    And trouble will follow you
    As the heel follows the ox that draws the cart.

We are what we think.
    All that we are arises with our thoughts.
    With our thoughts we make the world.
    Speak or act with a pure mind
    And happiness will follow you
    As your shadow, unshakable.
    How can a troubed mind
    Understand the way?

Your worst enemy cannot harm you
    As much as your own thoughts, unguarded.

But once mastered,
    No one can help you as much,
    Not even your father or your mother.

14. this sayings and quotes are fucking Incredible.

I mean none of them are about, worship and pray to me it's just terrific advice on how to live your life.

15. #15 CardassianMonk, Aug 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2010

That is the major thing that entices so many people to Buddhism.

"Buddhas don't practice nonsense"
    (One of my favorite quotes, nonsense is such a waste of time)

"Worship means reverence and humility it means revering your real self and humbling delusions."

"All the suffering and joy we experience depends on conditions"

"To go from mortal to Buddha, you have to put an end to karma, nurture your awareness, and accept what life brings."

"As long as you look for a Buddha somewhere else, you'll never see that your own mind is the Buddha"

"To enter by reason means to realize the essence through instruction and to believe that all living things share the same true nature, which isn't apparent because it's shrouded by senstation and delusion."

"Mortals liberate Buddhas, and Buddhas liberate mortals."

Here is a wonderful quote from the Dalai Lama for all you non-Buddhists who find Buddhism interesting.

"Don't try to use what you learn from Buddhism to be a better Buddhist; use it to be a better whatever-you-already-are."

16. Wow that's a great quote. I love how happy and optimistic the Dalai Lama is.

17. "Our theories of the external are as valuable as are those which a chick which has not broken its way through its shell, might form of the outside world."

"Virtue is persecuted more by the wicked than it is loved by the good."

"What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow. Our life is the creation of our mind."

"You only lose what you cling to."

"Your work is to discover your world, and then with all your heart, give yourself to it."

18. "If you meet the Buddha, kill the Buddha. If you meet a Patriarch, kill the Patriarch."

"Do not accept anything by mere tradition. Do not accept anything just because it accords with your scriptures. Do not accept anything because it agrees with your opinions or because it is socially acceptable. Do not accept anything because it comes from the mouth of a respected person. Rather, observe closely and if it is to the benefit of all, accept and abide by it."

19. "In the morning before dressing, light incense and meditate.
    Retire at a regular hour. Partake of food at regular intervals.
    Eat with moderation and never to the point of satisfaction.
    Receive a guest with the same attitude you have when alone. When alone, maintain the same attitude you have in receiving guests.
    Watch what you say, and whatever you say, practise it.
    When an opportunity comes do not let it pass by, yet always think twice before acting.
    Do not regret the past. Look to the future.
    Have the fearless attitude of a hero and the loving heart of a child.
    Upon retiring, sleep as if you had entered your last sleep.
    Upon awakening, leave your bed behind you instantly as if you had cast away a pair of old shoes"

20. "in what is seen there should be only the seen; in what is heard, only the heard; in what is sensed, only the sensed; in what is thought only the thought"