Cold

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by jblewballz, Feb 24, 2015.

1. I was wondering what the effects of cold would do to plants. Im indoor in all organic soil using sips method for watering. 2 plants were going great, but we have had a long streak of unseasonable cold weather. My grow room has a heater but struggles to get near 75f light on and 60f lights off. The root zone temp is 65-73f. I have some purple stems, but my main concern is the top growth looks limp and almost like its overwatered. Could the soil be too cold causing some nutrients not to be taken in?

2. Low temperatures at night are OK down to about 60 degrees outdoors, then start to effect the growth in a big way. Mid 50s will cause mild shock and 40s will kill your plants with repeated exposure. Keep your plants warm, especially the roots. Elevate pots if you think the ground is sucking the heat out of the roots. This is an issue if you have a slab or other type of cold floor.

3. I have a box constructed of 1/2 plywood, and the bottom is wood. I also have a heat mat under the container that has perlite and water with the smart pots sitting on top of the perlite. I just checked them this morning snd the leaf stems look deeo purple and the leaves are drooping. I am fearing tonight as there is a planned power outage and they dont know how long it will last. But on the bright side the temps will be getting up to where i can keep the soil around 73. I canbget the box warm with a ceramic heater but it drops the rh too much. If i use a convection heater it manages to keep it around 65 lights off. I have a fan blowing unto my cooltube and thought about unpluggung the fan for heat, but am afraid it will burn the top of the plant. Man i really wish i had a bigger area to grow.

4. #4 Kib420, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2015
    as long as the night cycle of the plants go uninterrupted the power outage shouldn't effect the plants that way, as to the temp in the room, you shouldn't fret to much, the temp in my room (which is about 13 ft by 20 ft at the moment, im getting ready to split the space in half for veg and bloom sections) is about 60 degrees, but under my 400w MH it stays around 75 degrees inside my dome, but in the night cycle it drops to 60. i am currently having complications with my clones(yellowing / purple stems) but my seedlings are nice and healthy so i dont think the cold is to blame. I'm a newbie grower (i've only done 2 other grows) but i have done A LOT of research, so my advice is all theoretical based on my research. but i still try and help : P

i would recommend you insulate your box if you fear the temps will get real low, especially if you are expecting a power outage

5. It will be the faytime for the plants. I have it set to be lights on during the day to help manage thebheat and cold better.

6. Could the purple stems be from cold riot zone temps? I can only fit 2 plants where i have the 3 x 4 x 4 box located. I am thinking about outdoor geowing at my friends house. I have kids and nowhere outside. That way outside i can top it a few times and help with my supply in between grows

7. or cal/mag

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

8. I also have insulation on all the outside walls but its been damn cold, like -25 for days at a time, really uncommon here. I know i made a mistake. I shoukd have added a blanket between the heat pad and water container to help the surface space that is heated by the pad cause it is indented on the bottom

9. I had purple stems last grow using ocean foreast, cal-mag and fox farm trio nutes. Had cold spells then also, i gave all my stuff away to my friend since i went organic.main stems arent purple, just leaf stem. They were purple the other week but root temps came up and purple went away.