Cold weather

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by iWinFTW, Oct 7, 2013.

1. I didnt know where to put this. How i have my grow setup its all out in a garage that i cant control the temps. I will be able to get this next crop in before it gets anywhere near the point where they will die from being very cold but i wanted to have another one towards the first of the year but i'm worried about the cold. Why does the cold kill them? Is is the root ball just getting to cold or what. I am trying to figure out a way to keep my setup going through the winter. I might have to make a new room and add a small heater of some sort. I dont know let me know what you think.

Thanks

2. If you have the means and capability to build a small room with a heater and maybe even insulation would be ideal. It doesn't sound like overheating is an issue you need to worry about. Run your lights during the night and you might want to consider running the veg ones 24/0 or 22/2 with the two how night time for the girls during the warmest part of the day. A heater would be ideal if the temps get too low. I don't know what about the cold kills the plants. I'm guessing its the root ball getting too cold and the plant not bring able to transport or absorb water/nutrients

3. That's what I was thinking about doing was building a larger room with a heater and insulation. What size would u recommend. Im running a 400 watt hid so I have read 3x3 area is ideal but with a heater I might have to add a foot or 2 to each side so I don't burn any plants.

All posts are for entertainment purposes only and are not to be taken seriously. Pictures are taken from the Internet and are in no way mine. Everything is just a figment of someone's imagination.

4. Lol love the disclaimer

4' by 4' sounds legit and its better to have too much room than too little. Make sure the heater doesn't blow directly onto the plants. Maybe indirectly but I'd be careful not to hurt the plants

5. Haha thanks was kinda paranoid and stoned when I did it

Alright awesome thanks dude. Will actually be doing a 5' x 5' flower and 4x4 veg next to each other. So a little more room for the heater and maybe an ac in the summer idk yet. But thanks for the advice cant wait to start

Disclaimer: "All posts are for entertainment purposes only and are not to be taken seriously. Pictures are taken from the Internet and are in no way mine. Everything is just a figment of someone's imagination."

6. Awesome. Are you going to be building it out of wood?

7. Yes sir. Will be wood walls either mylar or panda plastic. It all depends on the price. I am also looking into starting my first dwc along with this new space.

Disclaimer: "All posts are for entertainment purposes only and are not to be taken seriously. Pictures are taken from the Internet and are in no way mine. Everything is just a figment of someone's imagination."

8. I grow in a 4x4 tent with a 400watt HID and its just enough light, if your going for 5x5 i would recommend a 600watt.

Sent from my C6506 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

9. It will be a 5x5 room but only 4x4 (maybe a little less) will be growing room. The rest will be hvac equipment. Heater for winter and ac for summer. I might go 600 at a later date when I do a full system upgrade from magnetic to digital ballast and a nice new hood.

10. Will they share a wall? Could be a good way to keep your flowering tent warm while the lights are off. Keep the veg lights on 20/4 off with the 4 off during the warmest part of the day and use the heater if you need it.

11. Yea they will unless I can do this other idea I had then there will be a hallway between the two rooms.

12. That's a good idea too! They can share the heat easier and not the light

13. Would that be better because that's why I havnt decided what I wanted to do haha. I might go with the hall way Idea then.

14. Well the hallway could be where you put the heater and you can have the intake for the tents be the air from the hallway. I honestly have no idea which would be better because I haven't tried it but I think either way could work. Just going to take careful planning and building to make it work.

15. I didnt even think of that wow that would be perfect. It wouldn't be so much direct heat to the rooms more radiant (think that's what its called). Im gunna draw up some plans let me know what you think.

16. #16 iWinFTW, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2013
    Alright here is something I drew up real quick. It is to scale each square is .5' or 6". Let me know what you think. Btw not the best at drawing haha. Idk if I can do it or not also forgot to add the lettering but the doors are at the bottom right next to the false door. Disclaimer: "All posts are for entertainment purposes only and are not to be taken seriously. Pictures are taken from the Internet and are in no way mine. Everything is just a figment of someone's imagination."

Attached Files:

17. Nice. How will you be building the walls? Are you going to leave gapping in the walls or use a single sheet of plywood?
    Also have you thought of where you want to place your ventilation system? I'm wondering if an active intake would be better than a passive one in this situation. Maybe a passive ones and have the exhaust from the flowering tent go into a carbon filter in the hallway to help keep all the heat inside the grow area while hiding the smell. Just a thought but not sure if it would be best

18. sorry for the late reply. I got denied on this room so I talked em into doing a 4x4x4' 6" for flower figured I can fit 4 decent size plants in it under my 400watt hps. Now im back to the problem of not knowing how to heat it.

19. You're going to have the tent/room be 4' tall? Will you have enough space with the light in there too?

20. I like the idea of having a heater and ac plumbed into the grow space and contained within the room.  Very slick and stealthy kinda set up to give you ultimate control over your environment.