Cola's Maxibloom KISS Grow

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by colafarmer, May 24, 2012.

1. how's the hunt for vegan compost going?

2. so,so....Beginning to think it is not practical growing organically in autopots....:(

3. live and learn bro

this whole hobby/way of life, imo, is nothing but a big learning experience

4. Forgive me if I missed this...what size are your pots? I have had a theory that organics just need a bit more space (size container) to be able to do their thing.

Way of life is right!!!! :hello: The more you want to learn, the more you challenge yourself and want to tune into your own way. :D

5. #45 cheecha, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2012
    Yeah cola same here..I rocked the maxibloom in RW, hydroton etc worked great..For coco DTW, I find CNS17 or PBP(soil/coco) work great in my garden ..Have used it for a minute, and it really is K.I.S.S, IMO...
    Everyone else we all know, YMMV...;)

Oh and BTW, at that young age I also feed at ~300ppm as well in 180z dixie cups till they fill out/establish a good root system before I pot up..IMO, you started them in way too much medium and maybe a lil too hot of a feed..
    M2cents..

6. i wouldnt worry too much about the first and second leaves starting to brown up even if it's a little early

i have had that happen to me with every plant i started feeding this year (first year grower here) but, the new shoots look healthy as can be. it looks like its just a shock to those leaves having all those nutes and ph change from what it was while sprouting

i dunno 100% about anything and the more i think i find out about all this shit the more i find i have to learn. especially since GC is no exemption to the first law of cyber space: Garbage in Garbage out.

7. I am watching your grow like hawk though since i pretty much stole your grow tent design =)

8. how necessary do you think aerating the pots is?

i only bought enough to aerate the e2g reservoir

9. The ones i use are like the double tray with 2 gal pots. To small for a proper organic soil. The single pots are at least twice the size and would be much better.

Tent...Those are two small rooms I built to grow. The tent I have was another fine idea at the time... Set up once, never seen a plant and is now enjoying early retirement....

The air domes for the pots are 10 $ each. When I harvested the air domes was where most of the roots were partying. Nice white roots and healhy....

10. do you think their proprietary dome is worth waiting for or can i easily sub it out for a air stone?

i am using the smaller pots as well. i cant fit the larger hardware into my space right now.

aside from the actual enclosure i am building a very similar set up.

led's, coco, autopots and gh line of nutes.

the only major diffs between what you are doing and what i am putting together is the tent and i am using castings in my coco perl mix

11. The dome keeps medium from entering. I would just go without any air stones etc and use the domes when you get them.
    The dome dose not put out massive air like a air stone. More like forcing fewer larger bubbles out from where the cross tube connect on the dome.

When I use the dome I used about 2" of hydron on the bottom of the pot. This time I just went with the dome and all coir. So far the dome with hydron has out performed just using coir....

12. thank you ill grab some hydroton soon. i have an idea to save me the hassle of trying to find a american supplier.

ill stick one of those things with holes in it at the bottom with an air stone tucked under it. then ill cover with hydroton and then my mix. do you think that would work?

ill just use the lowest gph pump i can find and run both from a splitter.

13. #53 colafarmer, Jul 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2012
    homeharvest dot com has the domes.
    I guess you could just use an air stone without the dome...One way to find out is try it....
    You could probably make a ring from flex tubing and a barbed tee and drill 1/16" holes every 2" in the tubing. This would make larger bubbles about the same as the dome.
    I am thinking of doing this for my organic grow to get more course bubbling, as courser bubbles are better for microbial activity, and just putting the dome over the ring.

I'm making an order tomorrow and in place of hydron going with Hygromite grow stones. There are other brands but, this brand sounds better for my organic grow I will be starting....
    Description:
    Higromite is mined from volcanic deposits colonized by protozoa in freshwater lakes millions of years ago. These deposits produced the best natural balance of organic, major, and trace elements.Higromite provides several advantages over expanded clay pebbles, coco, and rock wool. It's high in silica, pH neutral, and has the best moisture retention & release on the market today. Completely reusable, the varied shapes of the rocks promote porosity, allowing more oxygen to reach the roots

14. Hey, just an update here....

On a bad note the autos took a dive. They were growing like runts and about ready to flower for 6-8" tall plants.
    I was thinking root damage at first , or underdeveloped roots but, when I took out of the pots their was a nice root system with no damage.
    I'm figuring the led" were the problem. Needless to say the led's are out of the big picture forever and hid is in again.....

On the brighter side the four plants I transplanted into pots(emerald jack, trinity kush, grapefruit kush and pineapple chunk) and put under the hid, are doing real well.
    They started flowering 7/14. I don't think the yield is going to be anything to brag about but,it's smoke...

wtf...sometimes shit just happens....:rolleyes:

pc left, tk right, ej front and gk back
    [​IMG]

trinity kush
    [​IMG]

trinity kush
    [​IMG]

15. it always sucks having to get rid of a plant, even a male is hard to kill sometimes. little bit of ya dies on the inside ;)

plants are lookin pretty good

i have never been a supporter of LED's. the price you pay for it doesnt reflect what you get from it (if that makes any sense?)

on a side note..... whats your opinion on the maxibloom?

16. maxibloom is ok in the soil but, will probably not use it again....Going organic and forget about ph issues, ec, etc......;)

Yep I took it in the shorts with those china led's. Can't believe a thing those companys say. No way these lights are in the right spectrum......:mad:

17. Thats a bummer about the LED's. I guess thats how its goes with grows, i have way too much crap lying around that i bought and only used once, or didn't even use! like a can filter, 24k btu AC, 2 portable AC's, MLC-8, all never used lol

Anyway your girls are looking great! I can't wait to see how they turn out. Ive wanted to get ahold of some emerald triangle seeds for awhile now. I do have a cut of the SSOG from them, its bomb! The flavor is amazing but the high is not so intense.

About that auto, i don't blame you for throwing it away. Ive only planted one auto(freebie) and after 3 weeks of it flowering the buds were still not where they should have been at so i tossed her out. Il never do an auto again.

Have a good one Cola!

18. id rather wipe my ass with an auto than keep it in my grow room lol

19. Thats a bummer to hear cola, but at least your other ladys looking good. I am on my second grow with 2 300 watt LED's and they have worked outstading for me, but they also put a nice dent in my check book. Best of luck to you and your ladys.

20. lol....Before or, after you smoke it...:D