Coffee ~ Need recomendations for home brew.

Discussion in 'The Great Indoors' started by Lil Sis, Mar 16, 2011.

1. OK, I must confess that I'm not much on coffee but my schedule demands a little help in the mornings. My 3am wake up call sucks! Here's where I need the help, how do I avoid the bitter coffees...I just can't stand them. I basically know zip about coffee, I usually just grab a soda but I'm trying to kick the soda habit.

I've tried Folgers...with a bit of doctoring, it wasn't too awful.
    I've tried Dunkin Donuts coffee...I didn't think it was any better than the Folgers and it cost 2x as much.
    I'm currently using some Hills Bros gourmet shit...it's bitter and harsh...and was kind of pricey. When I use less coffee to reduce the strength, it's just watery, bitter and harsh. :(

Do I need to be looking for a sissy blend or something? I honestly don't know what all the roasts, and blends mean. I read the back of the coffee container and they all sound kind of the same.

What do you use or recommend for home brewing? (I don't want instant coffee or pre-flavored coffee ~ just some plain jane not too nasty black coffee)
    Thanks GC!

2. I'm drinking some French Vanilla roast Dunkin right now with some sugar and coconut creme creamer. IMO it's way better than folgers.

As much as I hate the franchise... Get a bag of Starbucks un-ground and buy yourself a cheap coffee grinfer, love the taste of freshly ground coffee

3. Starbucks sumatra ftw. By far my favorite.

I usually grind the beans, then do 4 shots of espresso, a spoon of sugar and then top the cup off w/ milk.

It makes my forehead sweat and my piss smells like a pot of coffee brewing.

4. So grinding is the way to go? Hmmmmm...was trying to stay away from that. :cool: Didn't want to wake up the whole house...small house, loud grinder.

What about Breakfast Blends, or Mild blends...like the less acidic ones? Are those any good or am I just barking up the wrong tree entirely?

5. I don't know much, but I do know that its a misconception that adding less beans will make it less bitter. Using more beans will actually give you a less bitter product.

6. Google some tips on how to brew the coffee better, my brother took a barista course and now can make the best tasting coffee :hello:

7. Thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate the input! :wave:

8. I say get a decent bodum or similar product and try out some local beans if you have a coffee shop around you.

Grinding yourself is the way to go but if you can't, get them pre-ground

drink it black for maxiumum enjoyment

9. Coffee press, excellent quality beans [we use green mountain] keep it scrupulously clean, one cause of nasty coffee is rancid coffee oils on the equipment.

I like a light roast, made strong. If you don't mind spending a weekend or two playing with coffees, try a selections of roasts.

Flying Bean does 2 oz samples of coffees, great way to do it, you get enough for a single pot. I can really recommend the flying bean gold, medium roast, medium body, cups nicely black and is able to stand up to being drowned with cream and sugar, or a dash of brandy.

10. if you don't want it tasting bitter,why don't you add some creamer to it?:confused:

11. man kean coffee is all you need to know. :yummy: