coffee grounds

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by greenbudguy, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Anybody use coffee grounds with success? Also do you use the Folgers coffee grounds or is there a certain kind to use?

2. #2 DankSeeker, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2011
    Absolutely. Mine go through the worm bin first though. Don't think the brand matters so much, though alot of blades get large amounts from Starbucks for free. Remember as well, tomato plants have near identicle reqiurements as pot, so alot of tips and tricks that you'll find growing them will apply to pot.

3. #3 greenbudguy, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    I wasn't sure if like Folgers has preservatives that coffee grounds from a coffee shop wouldn't have. Also, do you use fresh or used coffee grounds? Can I save the coffee grounds after making my coffee? Also this may show how new I am here but..... what's a worm bin?

4. [quote name='greenbudguy']I wasn't sure if like Folgers has preservatives that coffee grounds from a coffee shop wouldn't have. Also, do you use fresh or used coffee grounds? Can I save the coffee grounds after making my coffee? Also this may show how new I am here but..... what's a worm bin?[/QUOTE
    NP problem. Glad to help. Used coffee grounds only and this will get you started on worms: http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/334921-vermicomposting-make-your-own-worm-castings.html
    Stop by my garden, see what you think:http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/800140-my-garden-2.html#post10347080

5. #5 greenbudguy, Apr 25, 2011
    I'll start saving the coffee grounds today. How much should I use? Do I mix it in or spread it on top?

6. Either. I don't think you can hurt them by given them too much as long as they are used. It's not like you're plant directly takes up the nutrients in the coffee grounds, like with synthetics. You are actually feeding the bacteria in the soil that essentially poop out a more usable form of the nutrients, etc in the coffee grounds. That's the short of it.

7. #7 greenbudguy, Apr 25, 2011
    The PH is an issue tho right? The coffee grounds lower the PH

8. You are probably right. One of the reasons I do worms, ph issues aren't a concern in the worm bin as long as the materials in have diversity. The ph swings in that bin and the resulting teas will scare you, but without the long version, it has natural buffers that brings the ph into the sweet zone as evidenced by analyzing runoffs.
    Most organic growers and that's what you're talking about only concern themself with the ph of their beginning water. If it's good going in, then the plant will do well.

9. #9 greenbudguy, Apr 25, 2011
    I think I'd like to take my plants to at least some organic and maybe start a worm bin but I'll have to check with my wife first. Not sure how she'd feel about it

10. I wasn't too keen on it myself. Here's the simple of it: Very green, easy, turboboost all growth, and so econonical. There's some nicely designed systems online that include an attractive counter top collection bin for you're everyday vegetable scraps, that has a carbon filter for odors and as for the bin itself; it should always have a healthy earth smell. If you've ever smelt rich fresh soil, then you've had you're nose tickled by worm shit. If it ever smelsl bad, your worms are dead or dieing,(usually temp).
    Making your own fertilizer is such a kick in the butt, especially knowing it's organic. Investment can be from nothing,like mine, or from a manufacturer complete with worms costing several hundred.
    I just have a 4 gal bucket out the back door for scras that I tranfer every couple days to a 30 gal. double tote bin in the coolest spot in the yard. I may have to insulate it as the heat rises, but if they can thrive in their 6" depth range that the redworm lives it's life in when the temps hit over 100, I believe they'll do fine.

11. #11 greenbudguy, Apr 26, 2011
    My summer here is only in the 80s and a few weeks in the 90s if we're lucky. I'll talk to my wife tonight about it. I'm sold. I just need to sell it to her. I'll make her laugh with the tickling the nose with worm shit and hope it works. Had me laughing hard. What kind of things do you like to use in your bin? Certain food scraps?

12. #12 DankSeeker, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    Really, any vegetable or fruit scraps, plus some supplements like sea shell flour for reproduction, but NOT necessary.
    There are tips and tricks: Have 2 bins and have one more nitrogen rich vegetable scraps and the other potasium. One will be used for veg, the other flower. There's alot more, but don't let it confuse you. It will be a pyramidical learning experience whose knowledge to begin is so simple, children do it for school and home projects. Easy fun stuff, that can change the world we live in, one person at a time.

13. #13 greenbudguy, Apr 26, 2011
    How do you know which vegetables are rich in nitrogen vs potasium?

14. Not sure about nitro, because I have birds whose waste goes the way of the worm. But, for flowering a good start would be bananas or find the nutrient values of the vegetables your family likes and what you want to impart to the soil and walah; custom food for the soil.
    Did I say "food for the soil". Ahh, but that's another chapter.

15. Coffee grounds will destroy your plant if you're not careful how much you apply. It makes your soil very acidic so you will have to monitor it every feeding of coffee grounds or it will get out of hand real fast.

It's best to sprinkle it on the edges of the soil and then water. Never water near the stem, or top the soil with coffee grounds right around the stem, that will damage your plant.

Just monitor the plants activity and gradually up the doses as needed.

16. Thanks for straightening me out there. Would have hung my head low if my advise had caused plants any harm. I put everything I can through the worms where there's naturally occuring ph swings as well as in my brews. They are of little or no concern in true organics, as long as your water is in the neutral range.
    Sorry about that.

17. I always put mine in my compost before use

It's nice to see such an in depth discussion about coffee grounds

A great source of Nitrogen

:)

18. Best way to go.

19. #19 greenbudguy, Apr 26, 2011
    I'm happy to have so many pitch in information about coffee grounds. I was worried no one would post anything. I'm going to try using it after I transplant into larger pots. Easier to control nitrogen levels I think. I'll probably experiment on one of them