Coffee Grounds?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by gsauce, Dec 1, 2010.

1. #1 gsauce, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2010
    I have read some things on coffee grounds especially people composting them and using them in their vegetable garden. As i hadn't read much about them here for use in cannabis gardens i was wondering if anyone had any experience. First things first a link to a good article:The Starbucks coffee compost test - Sunset.com

Essentially says that P K Cu and Mg are really available just mixing it in with your soil mix. However N isn't very relatively available. as well as there are rumors that if used as a topical that caffeine is a slug repellant, but there isn't enough caffeine to actually kill slugs.
    other properties?
    -- it's cheap. Go to your local starbucks and grab as many 5 lb bags as you want.
    -- Retains water.
    --It has a pH or 6.0-6.5 usually. could easily be adjusted with some lime and i know some of you swear by a slightly lower pH than average.

Proposed use:
    starting an outdoor plot this spring and i was gonna dig my holes now and use a good amount of coffee in my pre-dug holes leave it in and decomposing. maybe adding some other organics to enrich my holes for spring.

Has anyone used coffee grounds? how did you use them? comments etc.

2. I've read about that a few times.. I've heard horror stories about the soil getting to acidic... and you need to be very careful.

I do think about it every morning when I'm throwing away my coffee grounds though. Any one tried it?

3. It is common to add coffee grounds to compost. I'm not a big coffee person, so I have no personal experience.

Best to have a wide variety of materials in a compost pile instead of just a few. Digging the holes now and starting compost piles in them is a good idea, IMO. Just make sure that the material is fully composted before planting. Turning it a few times a month, keeping it moist, and adding the correct mix of ingredients will help it cook faster.

4. I have a compulsive friend who added coffee grounds whilst the plants were already in the flowering cycle and it caused significant burn and killed off a few. I would suggest to use them in your compost however I have little experience with that. Like Stankie said make sure it's fully decomposed before transplant.

5. They're good in the worm bin for sure. The worms will eat them and the filters too.

chunk

6. I've been using them for years. I use 2 cups coffee grounds for every 5 gal of soil. I'm a big coffee drinker and figured my plants would appreciate a little coffee with their meals too.:)
    I feed a couple large houseplants a 50/50 mix of leftover coffee and a high ph water from the faucet.They do just fine but I'm not trying to grow them big either so I'm not recomending that for our plants. Just to show there are adaquate nutrients for a slow growing plant in coffee not the grounds. I would think the grounds have even more though not readily available. It just has to be composted first.

7. My worms love coffee grounds. Never have used the grounds straight into the soil, only after they become castings.

Wet

8. Just be careful because Coffee grounds are Acidic.

Too much coffee grounds = Acidic Compost.

Great for berries, but not so great for other plants. A little garden lime will raise the pH though, so no worries :)