Coffee Can DWC?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Mashiro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. So, I have a bunch of these lying around the house. I was curious, is it worth it to DIY them into DWC bubblers?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11137458

What sort of supplies would I need? How big should the pump be?

Also, how big of a plant could I grow in one of these?

P.S. *I do not know shit about hydroponics*

2. no
    no
    no
    no
    no

3. thats not the place to cut corners if your doin dwc ull need a 300$+ water chiller so id just go all out and get some 3$ five gallon buckets lol.

4. Can you tell me why they are not suitable for growing?

5. I say experiment; design your own and laugh in the face of the naysayers (no disrespect intended). Sometimes castoff articles have a second life that will surprise you. I saw another grow cabinet that uses tiered raingutters as planters in a vertical scrog to marvelous effect. Out of the box thinking is never to be discouraged.

6. for one they are very very small for a dwc bubbler. 2 they arent light tight so oyoull have some issues with algee id say especially if you dont get a chiller. im not saying dont think out of the box or reuse things but you asked for advice so you got it. that being said ill try to help how i can. how many were you going to run and with what size res? answering these will help with the air and water pump sizing for you

7. I completely understand your viewpoint, but I just wanted to experiment, I suppose, like MrJerky said. :p

I do plan to light proof them to cut back on algae. I was going to run two at a time in my 2 x 2 x 4 tent. What is a res? A reservoir?

8. indeed it is

9. I thought you could mix up the nutrients right into the bubbler?

10. you can but how are you going to keep that liitle bit of water cool for a week between res changes? air pumps 1 watt per gallon as a rule of thumb. guess you wont be needing a water pump then if your just making one or a couple bubblers with no actual res. best of luck on this be sure to cover the outside of the coffee cans to not let light in and be very careful of root rot. good luck and you can always pm me if you have other questions

11. It would be better to do hempy in them..look up hempy buckets works great even in little containers

12. 33.9 oz = .26 gallons.

so, clone/seedling bubbler?

1 ft of plant per gallon is the general rule of thumb (so, 1/4 foot tall plants), but I believe some people go bigger with smaller res'.

13. Huh? $300? Yeah, no.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUN_SzLN5tg]How To Build A Hydroponic System Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvLkSloWnE&feature=relmfu]How to build a hydroponic system part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

14. As a new grower myself, i started doing hydro in plastic coffee containers. I 3m'd panda paper on the outside to blind it. Grew perfectly fine. Decided to move it to a 5 gal bucket to maximize growth. But no reason one cant grow small to medium sized plants with proper attention.

15. #15 bojangle, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2012
    Just wanted to chime in that yes you absolutely can grow in those coffee containers as I've done it myself. I have a super lemon haze mother that's been in one of those blue Maxwell House coffee containers for nearly a year without issue. Providing air to such a small reservoir is trivial and even smaller pumps can run a couple of these containers without issue. The only problems they present are those you'd expect to see in any small reservoir that is not lightproof. More frequent res changes and topping off is required, as well as having to be on top of your PH and more susceptibility to swings. Heat is no more an issue for these than a larger res, as regardless the res size the temperature of your solution will reach the same ambient temperature of your room if you allow it to do so. Lightproofing is no more of an issue as it is with say, a Rubbermaid tub, or Lowe's/Home Depot 5 galloners. Simply lightproof the container however you see fit. Easy.

For grows where space is an issue they work just fine, for methods in which you want smaller plants or nix the veg cycle they work just fine, for keeping a mother off in the corner of your grow room somewhere they work just fine. I've no doubts that I could flower and finish off my mother in the container she's currently in. If I had to speculate? Single oz no problem from her w/o moving to a larger res. I'd be constantly topping her off but doable no doubt. Could also fill a tray with them and do a quasi micro-dwc sog style grow.