Cocoa Powder as fertilizer??????????

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Neth311, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Anybody heard of using Cocoa Powder as fertilizer? I'm wondering if it would work.

I just thought of it. Cocoa powder isn't very water soluble, so I was thinking about adding a teaspoon to a gallon of water, and letting it marinate for a few days, before I fertilize
    my plant.

Cocoa acts on our Cannaboid, and opioid receptors. I'm wondering if Cocoa powder fertilizer could some how enhance the effects of weed, or increase it's potency. Or just end up killing the plant>???

Idk, What does anybody else think of this idea. Cocoa powder is natural, I'm sure a little teaspoon diluted in a gallon wouldn't kill a plant. But I'm not sure if it would do it any good.

Guess there's nothing to it, but to do it. And wait and see.

2. Chocolate : directory of chocolatiers - Psychoactive Food

Read the second half of that page, on the Link above.

I'm not sure if Cocoa itself releases endorphins, or if it's just the sugar combined with chocolate.

Oh well the experiment awaits. To see if Cocoa fed Pot plants, is worthwhile, or just stupid.

3. O.k. Well I diluted a 1/2 tea spoon of cocoa powder into 3/4 gallon of water, let it sit for six hours. Then watered the plant with it, last night.

So far it seems just fine. No sudden death or anything, lol.

Would be totally wicked if it, imparted a chocolaty taste to the bud when I harvest it. lol

Time will tell. :smoking:

4. #4 Neth311, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2009
    O.k. it's been a couple of days. Not only did nothing bad happen to my plant. But I think it actually might have helped spur new growth. I can't be 100% sure. But later tonight I'm going to take a new picture, and compare it with the picture I took of it 3 nights ago.

If my suspicions are right, then cocoa might be a mild form of nutrient feeding, that has nutrients readily or more easily available for the plant to break down, and take right away.

After all, it is organic, and the color of dirt, lol.

5. I'd love to see the difference between lets say a plant with cocoa powder and a plant with molasses etc. Cool thread.

6. I think it's ulikely to have any effect. You might get better taste from the flavinoids. But, I don't think cannabis will uptake them like a nute. It makes its own flavinoids.

7. #7 Neth311, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  8. #8 Neth311, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
    I'm doing this experiment with cocoa. I read somewhere that cocoa can supply a bunch of nitrogen to the plants. Plus cocoa has a lot of potassium and phosphorus among other minerals that the plant needs. There's not a whole lot of info to be found on it, around the web.

Anyways, I'm convinced that cocoa powder is good for my plants. I'm also convinced that molasses is good for them.

So I'm mixing in 1/2 teaspoon of molasses and 1/2 teaspoon of dark cocoa powder into a gallon of water. I'm using this for nutrients when I water them now. I'm essentially feeding my plant chocolate, lol.

Anyway the leaves seem greener and perkier from feeding it cocoa. I've got a molasses and cocoa mix in a gallon that has been sitting over night, that I'm going to feed it tomorrow. That will be the first mix of the two that I will have given to them.

The cocoa itself dosen't supply the nitrogen, but my theory is it provides a better environment in the soil, for the microorganisms in the soil to provide more nitrogen to the plant. O.k. think about it. How much do people like chocolate, how much do dogs like chocolate? My point is, everything likes chocolate even if it's bad for them, including dogs. So the microorganisms in the soil that will die from eating chocolate will still eat it, because it's irresistible. Now with the mix of molasses and cocoa, diluted in water, basically turns it into chocolate water. Plus cocoa has a lot of antioxidants, it will kill off a lot the bad stuff, while letting the good stuff in the soil thrive. Plus I image some of the good stuff will enjoy eating the chocolate. Idk, I'm positive that I've struck gold here, as far as nutrient feeding goes, combining cocoa and molasses.

Checkout the nutrition profile for Cocoa.

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Cocoa, dry powder, unsweetened, processed with alkali [Dutch cocoa]

Cocoa provides more phosphorus that molasses dosen't have. In my opinion the both of these combined, "cocoa and molasses" create a far broader nutritional profile for the plants.

I wouldn't feed them 1 teaspoon of each, that might be an overload, idk. What I'm doing is just cutting the amount of each down in half, and then combining them in a gallon of water.

Also Cocoa has been known to improve erections in men, and stimulate a woman's sexual appetite. It's known that Cocoa is good for the circulatory system. It also provides more nitrous oxide in the blood, which results in more frequent erections. Like I said the cocoa itself dosen't provide the nitrogen, it's our stomachs and our body breaking down the cocoa which produces the nitrogen. It's the same with plants, except the soil is it's digestive system. All the micro-organisms in the soil, is what digest the cocoa and molasses and turns it into readily available nutrients for the plant. My theory is that if Cocoa is good for the circulatory system in people, it will be good for the circulatory system in plants. I think the the Cocoa and molasses will give the plants a hard on, or a swollen cooch depending on it's sex.

It's the theobromine, caffeine, antioxidants, and the flavanoids in cocoa that provide extra protection from pests, bacteria, and bad microbes, and provide a better environment for the good microbes in the soil, while providing a healthier circulatory system for the plants, combines with the molasses wich provides a ton of simple sugars, and nutrients that are easy for the plant to take up, and I think this combo is the ultimate plant food. Molasses seems basically like it's becomes the soils digestive enzymes. I think molasses has the ability to provide an optimal environment in the soil, for the microbes to flourish and break everything down into all the nutrients for the plants to use, the cocoa provides some nutrients that the molasses dosen't have, and it also provides other stimulative type properties that keep the plant perky, that help the plants out along with antioxidant and flavonoid protection to fight off the bad microbes. I think the two together, Cocoa and Molasses have a synergistic effect. The Cocoa protects, and stimulates, while providing some nutrients that the molasses doesn't have and the molasses is what keeps the soil at an optimal environment the the microbes to flourish and break down the all the good stuff in the soil, cocoa, and molasses itself to provide for the plant.

Mark my words. Cocoa and Molasses will be a Keystone element in the process for future growers. Try it out yourself.

Someone should submit this to mythbusters Lets see if they'll test it out.

Simplified. Molasses provides an excellent environment for microorganisms, in the soil.
    This means that good and bad microorganisms are going to be more abundant.
    Add in the Cocoa, and it will kill off most of the bad microorganisms, weed out
    some of the good ones that are weakened and improve the plants ability to uptake nutrients thorough improved circulation.
    Thus creating super soil. Soil that has tons of good microorganisms that are most beneficial to the plant. More so than any chemical ferts, or anything else that people add to their plant to treat the symptoms instead of curing the cause. Most symptoms of any ailment a Marijuana plant has, ie "yellow leaves, etc" can be attributed to poor soil conditions. This goes for pest invasions to. Marijuana itself is suppose to be a hardy enough plant to disuade pest from feeding on it. If you have pests feeding on your Plant, it's not because the pest just up and decided to attack your plant, it's because your soil conditions are poor enough, that your plant isn't getting all the nutrients that it needs to have a healthy immune system, so it's in a weakened state. Meaning the plants natural pesticides which it produces on its own, is not strong enough to dissuade pests from feeding on it, most likley due to poor soil conditions.

I'm sticking to Organic solutions. I haven't used any chemical fertilizers or food. Except I used miracle grow shake and feed once. But for now on, I'm just going to stick to molasses and cocoa. It's my belief that chemical fertilizers and plant food, just cause more problems if you don't perfect it down to a science. A lot of the chemical stuff, upsets the microbial biodiversity in the soil, and I think that is the most important part of growing. Is keeping the soil healthy for all the beneficial microbes. Organic solutions like cocoa and molasses only add to the health of the soil, and make it a more efficient delivery system of nutrients to the roots. I think a lot of people try to tinker with nature too much, when dealing with chemical fertilizers and nutrients. If you keep the soil healthy, then the plant should do just fine, and you won't have to add and treat a whole bunch of stuff trying to cure symptoms.

Originally posted in this thread.

http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/290744-using-molasses-nutrient.html

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 Neth311, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2009
    I've researched the ph level of cocoa and molasses. Cocoa is at 6.8, and molasses is at 5.0. With the average of water being at 7. All three of those averaged out is at 6.2 on the ph scale. Slightly acidic, which marijuana seems to prefer a ph between 5-7.

So if I fed my plant. With the size of pot it's in, 3/4 gallon of water, cocoa, and molasses solution every other day. It would slowly condition all the soil to stabalized ph level, probably over a week or two.

This is ideal. As far as ph is concerned, with cocoa and molasses, The ph of the two of them fall between the healthy parameters prefeered by weed.

So I'm in the green, as far as that area is concerned.

http://www.thctalk.com/gallery/data/500/PH_CHART.jpg

I've also repotted my plant, into a much bigger pot. I'll take some pics here in about five days.

10. im so interested to see if this works

11. Great idea man, tell us how it goes after 2-3weeks?!!!

12. Will do, keeping my fingers crossed as well. There's some other guy who grows multiple plants that's gonna try my experiment out. His results will actually have hard data to it. Unlike mine, since I only I have one plant to base it off of. So it'll be cool once several people try this out, to see what the results are.

13. for real yo , tell him to post back here so we can read up on how it went/is going....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Interesting!
    What stage of growth did you start the cocoa thing?

15. Didn't start it, till the end of it's vegetative stage. Next grow, I'm gonna start it, after it's a month old.

16. That's good know. I have some about 3 weeks old, and I'm going to try your recipe. I'm using ff nutes too, so I don't know if I need the molasses yet, but I haven't really read anything bad about using molasses in the veg period. I'm still looking tho'. I'm really excited about trying at least the cocoa.

17. I'm very interested in this recipe too, can you expand on the spirulina's effects?

18. Yeah, I expanded on it, in my grow journal. Just click the link at the bottom of my post. It's covered in pages 1-4 I think.