COB or HID/HPS

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by dtrap, Feb 20, 2017.

?

Which would you choose?

1. COB

14 vote(s)
    93.3%
  2. HPS

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Hey everyone ... I am a new grower .. first grow with Florescent and low watt hps ... many people have been impressed with my first grow .. but I can't afford to mess around. I need this to be cost effective for my family but I need to grow enough too. So.. I am at a crossroad that I am prepared to make one more upgrade for a long time... here is the question... COB [Description - Newest gen chips: Luminus gen3 3500k. All Meanwell drivers. Active cooled, aluminum rails with 4 chips on each. 244watts. 9.0 par per sq. ft. Dimensions: 38" x 4". Approx 10 lbs. (I can purchase 2 for about $500) OR a Digital Ballast (1000w)?

2. I think that until there is a mass produced cob light from a commercial company, COB lights only make sense if you are building your own. Price is still very high as it is new tech, and at the speed COB's are advancing, this years will be replaced with the latest and greatest pretty quick. Just my 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
  3. I can get 2 newly built COB for $500 .... with specs mentioned in original post

• Like Like x 2
  4. Those Luminous Cobs are $12 a piece from mouser.

I use cob's so im not trying to bash them, just saying that the only way cobs beat out hid is if you build your own. Otherwise the extra you are paying cancels out any of the benefits of cobs, aside from the lower temps.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Don't
    Dont Forget lifespan, and power savings

• Like Like x 2
  6. I appreciate your knowledge.. so can i pick your brain?? Here is my mode of thinking .. please do not hesitate to tell me if I am wrong .. cause I am new to this...
    I have heating issues ... it's properly vented .. but it get super hot I have to wake up to open the door every morning at 5am (lights run 12a-12p) keeping the room warm during the night ...
    I am trying to be cost effective on a monthly basis ... I was thinking if I paid the $500 for 2 units up front ($250/each) it would cover my 6'x3' space and be much cheaper each month in electric use...

please .. any guidance ... I am just so sick of making bad decisions just to then realize I should have spent a bit more upfront the first time around... newbie problems

• Like Like x 1
  7. do you mean don't use COB?

8. Just google Cob grow light. First company on the list has fair prices on the high end cobs.

Their frames are overpriced.

• Like Like x 1
  9. yes.. I have googled it .. that is why I thought that $250 each was a good deal ... and he does have Vero and Citizen ... but they cost a bit more per unit. COB.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. I would look more into what a company is running them and that they are powering them with as well. Some are a lot more efficient than others.

I have a cob led unit very nice but yes very $$$. If you have time and want to learn I suggest watching every thing from growmau .

Make it your self save a lot and get what you need. Best luck to you.

• Like Like x 3
  11. The extra cost is worth it for the better efficiency.

I really stand by my recommendation of building your own. There are some very detailed threads on here showing exactly how. You would get alot more for your money and upgrading is easier if you understand how it works.

• Like Like x 3
  12. I hear you loud and clear! I do not have confidence in my ability to build a unit.. I can build lots of shit .. .but when it comes to lighting .. ugh it is my freaking nemesis~ luckily .. hubby gets it .. he doesn't enjoy cannabis but I am sure he will help me build some units .. hahah I will start flooding his inbox with DIY videos hahahahhahahaahah

13. Its really not that difficult.
    Alot of people run a single driver for each high powered cob for simplicity's sake.
    If you aren't comfortable drilling and tapping the heatsink, choose a cob and holder that have an off the shelf predrilled heatsink.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The first question you have to answer is how many plants you are going to attempt to flower. Each light is only good for covering so much sq. footage and you don't want to overload the lights you do have with too many plants and rob from them all. We flower with 1000 watt HPS lamps (air cooled hoods because they do make some serious heat) and run 2 plants under each lamp. We run a 10 week cycle and the average yield per plant ranges from 3.5 to 4-5+ oz after dry and cure per plant. Each plant is different...grows different, has it's own developmental path, so you can't treat the whole crop as a bunch. Each plant has to be individually tended.

But to figure out what lighting you need, you need a finite number of plants you plan to flower. From that point, you can figure out what you need in the way of lighting. But it is, by far, THE most important equipment you will have in your grow room. Nutes don't grow plants...they're just plant food. LIGHT grows plants. Each needs good wattage and plenty of space to penetrate the canopy of the plant.

It pretty much comes down to budget and coverage. LEDs, for the most part, are small bodied lights than only shine straight down and do not reflect outward which limits the sq. footage they cover. So it's going to take more lamps to sufficiently cover several plants with LEDs than it would with HPS because you can get reflectors on the hoods for the HPS. However, more plants doesn't necessarily get you more weed at harvest time. You can always harvest more from a single plant that gets all the good strong lighting it needs during flower and is properly tended, than you can by attempting to flower 3 in the same space because you shade out growth by cramming them together. If you only have enough lighting to flower a single plant, then do a single plant and get the most possible out of it.

HPS pros and cons:
    Pros: Plants love them and grow like crazy. Excellent bud development and plant size as long as you have the wattage. Much more economical at the moment than LEDs since good quality LEDs prices are still through the roof. The demand hasn't caught up with the technology at this point.
    Cons: THEY GET REAL HOT. If you are flowering in a small space, HPS is going to make heat an issue so you have to have ventilation/ducting in place to pull the heat out of the space.

LED:
    Pros: LEDs grow out some beautiful buds. They also don't draw quite as much electricity while they work. But the coverage area is drastically limited as far as the sq. footage, and you should never be forced to raise your lamps just to cover more plants. You need sufficient lighting for every plant you are flowering. LEDs are much cooler than the HPS lamps but they burn hotter to the plants, especially seedlings, so you have to be very careful when using them in the veg cycle not to burn your plants.
    Cons: To get lamps of any quality with LEDs, you're going to have to lay down big bucks. The lamps you're looking at, for that price, are cheaply made in China (likely) with the cheapest of components and labor and then floated on a ship to where you are. Lots of people use these cheap lights...some positive experinces, some not, but it's a risk you have to take if you go that route. A good quality 800 watt LED averages somewhere around a grand for a good American made high quality lamp. So you can see the difference in the pricing. The demand hasn't caught the technology yet. Eventually the prices will begin to fall.

But what you need actually should be determined by how many plants you project to flower. To get the most from each plant, it needs wattage. When you consider that the sun is the great "light source," and that man hasn't come up with anything to even remotely touch the sun in artificial lighting, it's a little clearer regarding just how essential lighting is with the indoor grow. It's the MOST important equipment you will own and the determiner of what you get in the end. So take your time, do your research and get seriously well informed before you spend hundreds of dollars on something that you have no experience with. You pretty much get what you pay for in this biz...just like everything else in life. However, if you're not independently wealthy and don't have an unlimited budget, you'll have to put it together a piece at a time like most of here did. But if you really want to grow out some seriously nice plants and fat buds with real weight after cure, gotta have good lighting for each plant you flower. Best of luck and hope this rambling mess helps you out a little bit. TWW

• Like Like x 3
  15. thank you so much!!! I like rambling messes ;) suits my style hahahah

I have already overpaid for lighting .. I was so dumb when I started .. I went to a local garden shop to get advice that wasn't so contradictory ... I think the internet spun my head in the beginning and I made some really poor purchases. ready - yes.. I am the dumb one who purchased a 2' 4 bulb fluorescent for $130 .. .ugh .. THEN I did it again .. and purchased an 8 bulb (which I do actually like ..and it was half the price of the 2')

Right now I have a piece meal of lighting happening with a combination of Fluorescent and HPS (it's a conversion bulb so it only puts out 380w but it just adds some additional light to finish this grow .. I didn't plan well at the start .. learned from my mistakes in many aspects and I am sure I have plenty more mistakes to make in this process. But I am so sick of making the wrong choice that seems to cost more in the end. I am trying to keep the monthly additional costs down .. and when I saw someone was making COB units .. I thought it would be better for my family monthly .. but I hear what everyone is saying now.

16. By all means use cobs. I love mine. I was saying their lifespan and energy savings beat hps

• Like Like x 1
  17. Which is exactly why i want to really process this before purchasing or making. May i ask how many plants you comfortably grow under 500 w of COB LED?

18. 11 mature under 800watts cxb3590, I'd say 6 or so would fit comfortably under 500 watt.

• Like Like x 1
  19. THANK YOU!!! I am researching how to make them and the cost associated if I make them compared to if I purchase the 2 for the ($250/ea)

• Like Like x 1
  20. If you can build stuff, just build your own cob lights. You can do it all without soldering...imo the most work was drilling the holes in the aluminum angles for the frame, and that was easy too cuz aluminum is really soft. Just get the pre-drilled and tapped heatsinks, wago connectors, rivet gun.

Once you watch some growmau5 videos on youtube it all starts to make sense. It was way easier then I thought it would be.

• Like Like x 1