Co Worker Said Today Writers who Use Drugs are Cheaters

Discussion in 'General' started by TLF1088, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Someone at work said this today....and other co-workers agreed with him.
    He said a writer who uses any kinds of drugs while writing is a cheater, same as an athlete who uses steroids.

I think it's bullshit.

He obviously doesn't realize that we would be lacking MANY famous and influential writings from many different authors if they were not inspired by drugs.

In my opinion, drugs are much different from steroids.
    Psychedelics and other types of drugs help people see deep into their self conscious, look at things differently, come up with thoughts that are out of the ordinary........it's all coming from your brain though.

You can't take drugs, study really hard for a long time, and then have a higher I.Q. compared to taking steroids and working out really hard and getting stronger.

So what's your opinion?

By the way mods, if this is against the rules, feel free to delete it. I know threads talking about drugs are not allowed, but this is a little different in my opinion.
    If you feel it's not though, go ahead and delete it.

2. Writing is (for me anyways) a way of expressing your inner mind and putting it on paper. That's like saying people who use drugs while writing music are cheating. Or hell, it's like saying that people who meditate then sleep well are cheating (another which I do). I obviously disagree with your friend. If it helps you get into your mind and stay there to do your duty, go for it.

3. I can't really disagree with him. Athletes that use drugs to enhance their body are cheaters. Artist who use drugs to enchance their imaginiation should fall in the same category. Though I'm not against either.

4. How dare you be inspired by that lovely sunset. A real writer lives completely isolated from everything, drawing no experiences or thoughts from the outside world. In fact, eating is unacceptable as that will alter your mind to feeling different from when you were hungry. Won't someone think of the poor starving writing-disadvantaged children of the world???

ad nauseum...

5. I can kind of see his point albeit it is a ridiculous one. I suppose drugs can be a artistic "performance enhancer" but like you said, art is often a matter of exploration into the self and conciousness. Drugs may facilitiate this exploration, but their not going to make you a better writer.

6. wtf I could see that if writing was a pro sport but it is a profession, an artistic one at that lol.

7. Hahah did you call him a fucking retard and tell him to shut the fuck up?

8. fuck that man. using drugs is in no way cheating. they open your mind, and make you more creative. all writers should try it.

9. Yes The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, and Pink Floyd are all BIG CHEATERS

10. your co workers are what i like to call a...

[​IMG]

11. #11 HighHaze, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2009
    I am a writer myself and I have pondered this on and off. I never thought about your argument but it is a good one.

I do see a dramatic difference when I am writing on say LSD compared to when im sober. even after my LSD trip is over, I feel like my skills have reached a new height the more I trip.

anyway, writing isnt really a competition to me though....so I cant see how its cheating on that level.

12. It depends on what state of the mind your going for, I recommend dwelling into the beat movement & think about their state of counsiousness.

Eating healthy will help your brain experience the world better. But fasting every know & then will sure keep it on it's toes. Get some bugs in your system & get sick that always makes my trips more intense.

Or pop a few to many shrooms & let all the neurons in your brain fire.

Just don't do to much & get lost in your own paranoia or dillusions.
    Flashbacks can be like deja-vu & that might influence your work a bit.

:hippie:

13. Its bullshit. That is like saying Henry David Thoreau cheated at writing since he went to Walden and spent his time with nature. It is just completely ludicrous to look at writing that way, and I can bet you all of those that agreed with him are not really writers.

14. That is beyond stupid. You can't cheat when you are creating something from your mind whether it be music, words, painting or any other form of art.

15. I doubt your friend reads much interesting

16. You can't cheat in a non-competitive activity. QED.