Closing threads = prohibition of speech = failure?

Discussion in 'General' started by doyoulikegreen, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. So not gonna go into details or anything, but dont you feel that ultimately someone (mod) closing a thread, is counter-productive?

The way I see it, it seems like someone stopping the conversation is the same as someone invoking prohibition on speech and ideas. Now I know rules are there for good reasons and all, but it just seems like a total failure of what a free and open internet should be?

We all know prohibition doesn't work, what do you think?

2. Lmfao in b4 threads closed

3. The man who changed the world. :smoking:

4. Many threads are unnecessarily closed on here and the majority of them are from a single unnamed mod.

5. Lol there is no such thing as freedom on the internet.

6. Closing threads with the stated reason of "Pointless" or "Stupid" in the general section of the forum makes complete sense.

7. I dislike more when threads are deleted.

I can never revisit the classics :(

I do think that things like no other drugs and no saying ****** are overdoing it. Those are things i dislike.

not that i say ******, its the principal of it.

8. This thread is not the USA, they have the right to delete any thread they want to and the right to not allow you to talk about things they don't want you to. Grasscity is a privilege not a right.

It's not like this is a new policy. Prohibition is working and if you don't want to follow the rules, why did you say you would?

9. Prohibition without complete control doesn't work. Unlike preventing people from speaking in real life, the owner here can quite easily silence he deems unacceptable content for the website he created and funds. Prohibition has worked quite well and the trolls are forced to go back to 4chan and the like where the point is actually to allow free expression. Here the point isn't to provide a free for all for whoever wants to say whatever, Grasscity is intended to be of a higher quality and more filtered than that, so it is. It's things like SOPA and ACTA that seek to be able to shut private ventures of free expression down if the government disagrees that is a total failure and the type of prohibition that doesn't work. See, if someone funds their own website where they can say whatever they want, which you are free to do if you don't like the rules here, and the government shuts it down, the're just going to make a new one. See on GC, members can be banned from just making a new thread, so it works. It's just that the government can't ban you from speaking. It's impossible.

10. It's not about rights and more so about what should or shouldn't be done as a matter or procedure.

11. Oh, my mistake. Well in that case, our word means nothing, but is there really a problem with the topics they restrict?

12. It's not so much restricted topics in terms of the rules and more so a particular mod closing threads he doesn't like or agree with that aren't really in violation of the rules.

13. You mean principle? Cause if you mean procedure, you still lose because the owner also sets all of the procedures since this is his business and not yours. Also, if you mean principle, the principle is to make this an enjoyable place that the owner can be proud of since it's his creation. If you can't respect his principles, then it's a simple principle that you're going to have to find a new forum. lol Or you could just start posting more agreeable threads.

14. LOL Grasscity has never been a free-speech zone.

The dude who pays the bills for this site, and the servers associated with it, has every right to call the shots, and to create a team of mods to make sure the site is maintained as he would want.

Don't like it? Start your own weed forum where it's a free for all. Good luck.

The rules of this site aren't hard to abide. You can say some pretty off the wall shit without getting an infraction, so long as you're not a dick about it. Kids come here and think they should be able to say whatever they want under the guise of "freedom of speech." Bitch this site isn't even in the United States!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.