closet growing of 2-5 plants

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by nort56, Apr 11, 2004.

1. I have all that i need to start growing but I am just really confused as to what type of lighting to use in my closet. Ihave ventalation and a way to drain my plants after they start to grow but I want to get the best lighting possible for the space I have, it is a double door closet that is big enough for a 6' man to lie down in and about 3 1/2' wide and 5 feet tall at the rod. I would appreciate all answers to make the best choice.
    Money is a small obsticle

2. 2 600 watt hps or a 1000 watt hps on a 6' light rail.... figure out your sqaure feet and then try to put about 50 watts per sqaure feet. You I guess you need about 1,200 so 2 600's so be gravy and the light rails are cool too. Go to inside sun and get some prices.

insidesun.com

Oh yeah and the reason the 600's are the same price (or more) than the 1000's is because they're the most efficent. They have the best light to heat to energy ratios.

3. Oh shiz I overlooked that 2 to 5 plant deal. In that case you're not going to want to use to whole closet. You probabaly want to build a grow box and get something much smaller. Just figure out your sqaure footage of your area and give about 50 watts per sqaure foot.......

Hit us back up.

4. Thanks dude I will try them out and post pics when they start to grow.

5. u can use the closet, id go with a 400 watt hps. safe enough for the closet, more than enough light for your projected amount you want to grow. with that amount of space, temperature and air exchange shouldnt be an issue. you can easily squeeze 4 3gallons in that amount of space and still have enough to spare. under the right conditions, you can easy harvest 8 oz or more of bud.

6. if your going to use soil, id recomend using 5 gallon buckets instead of 3... since youve got 6' of height take advantage of it..... and i too would use a 400w HPS in a small 2' deep box built on the end of the closet (if the closet your talking about is 3.5' deep, thats gona give your 7 ft² and with a 400w it'll have 57w / ft² so its more that enough... and being only 2' deep it should have easy acess to the back of the box, and if your do a scrog, it'll be easy to reach the back of the screen.... growing 5 plants ScrOGwith a 400w... could get from 6 - 14oz depending on nutes, training, strain, any a whole list of other factors...

7. Thanks for the info, I have never attempted to do this and I am below the status of beginner. I have been reading and pricing lights, soil and nutrients. I am really going to get a better idea of grow boxes, and what the heck is scrog? I was attempting to use cardboard to line the walls and cover them with foil, the smell does not concern me I can take care of that if I am successful. This is my very first time, like a virgin I am nervous and want to do it right so I can stop giving my dough away. I have circulation fans to provide air and ventalation. I will read and study some more. Thanks for the tips. Any suggestion on books that will show me more about boxes?
    Gratefully,
    nort56

8. i say forget about the box idea, click on my 20 days picture link. i grew in a closet similar in size to what youre describing. as you read on to whatever other info you may find, you may soon believe or discover that having more space may be benificial when it comes to air circulation, which is also vital.

9. i dont think he wants to take up the whole closet with plants though.... although i might be wrong.... and air circulation is easily compensated for with a good exhaust fan....