Closet Grow Temp Problems

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by Toastman8, Dec 18, 2012.

1. I have my closet setup with a 600w MH for veg HPS for flower, panda poly forming a wall, a 9 inch fan hanging at the top of exhaust, and a small passive intake at the bottom. I'm getting a zipper today so I can access my plants easier. Right now I just have a seed in soil that I first germinated in paper towels. I'm hoping it will be poking out of the soil any day now so I really need to solve this problem.

Right now the closet is at 80F but lights have only been on for an hour already risen about 9F. The Honeywell fan I bought claims 185 cfm on lowes.com but I'm extremely doubtful. When I put my hand over my passive intake hole I hardly feel a thing, also I put a piece of tape on it to see if it would get sucked in in the wind, it hardly flaps around. Since I've not had my zipper I have not been able to mix it completely sealed, light and air are easily escaping, could this be affecting my fan? Would it work better if everything was sealed up? Any suggestions you guys have is more than welcome

Attached Files:

2. 185 cfm isnt going to do much for a 600 light, especially in a small closet. You need a proper vortex fan made for growing, not a cheap lowes fan. For a 600w light, a 6" 435 cfm vortex fan is recommended.... They can be found in hydro shops or anywhere online.

3. your fan just blows air around the room

you need an exhaust fan to remove the hot room air and pull in fresh cool air

definitely need 400+ cfm fan for a 600w

4. My fan is not circulating air inside the "room" created by the poly I have cut a whole in the poly and have it facing out acting as an exhaust. I really don't have anymore finances to be able to buy a real exhaust fan I need he cheapest possible alternative. I don't have a fan circulating inside currently will that help temperatures much? Also I'm thinking of buying a small computer fan from radio shack for about 20 dollars and using it as an intake fan, is that a good idea?

5. no. spend 5x that and get something that will do the job. everything less is going to be a waste of time and money.

6. Well I don't have that much money to spend

7. like you said, it hardly flaps around, you aren't moving air

only way that's gonna happen is buying a proper fan

8. I think that's partially because its not sealed really at all. Believe me I would love to be able to buy a cool tube and inline fans and what not but I can't squeeze it in the budget, plus my mom is already freaking about how much the whole grow is entailing

9. startup cost isn't cheap, but it's a one time expense, and worth every penny to do it right

good luck

10. There are somethings you just cant cut corners on, and ventilation is one of them. In an enclosed area like your closet, HID lights basically act as a space heater....you need a proper extraction fan to expel all that heat. I cant tell from you pic if you are using a cool tube hood, but if not, you will need an even bigger fan than the 435 cfm fAn being recommended.

Startup costs are high, but then you have your gear forever.... If you dont get a proper fan, the heat issue will not go away and you will just be wasting electricity to cook your plants, stress the hell out if them, and get a fluffy low-potency product if you get any at all.

Think about it this way: you already bought one lowes fan for $20-30 and want to add another $20 computer fan (which wont solve anything), for a cost of $40-50. For $75-85, you could have bought a proper 400 cfm vortex fan to begin with instead of wasting money on useless fans that will never be of any real use.

This is also a prime example of why you shouldnt plant seeds until you get your setup dialed in....you would be far better off to have waited an extra few weeks to save for a proper fan, rather planting seeds when you were nowhere near ready to provide them a proper environment.

11. Just reread your last post....without a cool tube, and a proper fan, this grow is doomed......i know thats not what you want to hear, but its the truth. Theres no way you can run that light in that space....you could get away with some cfls in there with your current setup, but thats about it. The 600w light is only going to waste power and cook your seedligs

12. Just thought I'd let you know that my lowes fan and passive intake keep my grow area at 75F regularly :p