Closet Grow Lighting Advice?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by YEM, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Hey, I've got a little nook in my closet that I'm going to use to grow one or two low ryders. Are there any really good lighting system that I could get for relatively cheap? Looking for HPS supported.

2. I don't know where to recommend you to go, you generally pay the same for lighting kits everywhere give or take a few dollaz. Magnetic ballasts are much cheaper than digital ballasts and tend to last longer. If you haven't decided what light to buy check this grow lighting guide out, it might help.

3. The main determination of lighting quality comes from the bulb. A ballast either works or doesn't and its quality is mostly just a question of longevity. Power used and heat created are also factors, but won't affect the light being generated. The cheapest way to set up an HPS lamp is to purchase a standard magnetic ballast, a bulb, and then fabricate a hood & reflector. Both building a hood & wiring in the ballast yourself require some knowledge and can be a fire hazard if not done correctly.

The best HPS bulbs I've ever seen are GE PSL/XO's, which will perform better than any other lamp I've encountered, regardless of ballast.

4. A little nook with a HPS could be very dangerous thing, ,,,more info needed

"V"

5. For your small space I'm not going recomend HPS or MH. Turn to T5's. Better lumens per wattage and less heat. And cheaper. Look into T5's. I'm telling you they are the best thing for you.