Closet Grow Design (Help me out please)

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Stoney Jones, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I want to run my design for my closet micro grow by you before i start to build it, let me know how it looks and what needs to be changed. This is just for personal consumption by the way, so maximizing yield is crucial however weight can be sacrificed for an increased quality of bud.

To start this off the strains i've ordered to grow are (all feminized):
    Super Silver Haze
    Master Kush
    BlackJack
    Crimea Blue

I plan on growing using a ScroG technique for the crimea blue and the others I may just do some regular lst, not sure how those strains will be affected by the stress of a ScroG.

It's essentially a box with a 23" X 15" base / top and is 24" tall. I plan on running two 120mm axial fans, one for intake in the bottom left corner and one for expelling the air in the top right corner.

I'm looking at using a rectangular pot / bucket that is 1 gallon maybe more, I want to utilise as much space in my rectangular box as possible.

Lighting is the part I am most skeptical about, please tell me if this will suffice. I plan on running 5 6500k CFL's and 1 2700k odor eating CFL for veg, and 5 2700k CFL's + 1 6500k CFL for flower. I am covering all inside surface area in mylar.

I want to do an organic grow so I plan on buying fox farm ocean w.e for my medium, maybe mix it 50/50 with the fox farm forest w.e. Will i have to feed my plants over the course of their short life?

One last thing, If my box is barely two feet high, how long should I veg my plants for? what about if i'm doing a scrog?

Thanks guys all the help and any other tips are appreciated

2. I don't think the SSH will do too well in a micro scrog setting, though I could be wrong as I've never grown it. It's a very sativa dom. strain so be mindful of how big it can get. Being a sativa, the flowering time could very well be much longer than the other indica-dom. hybrid strains you've listed. If you put them in the same cab you'd have a staggered harvest for sure. You might do well crossing it with a male from a nice Indica strain, which is very common, but more advanced--at any rate I'm not sure I would pop the seed in the setup you've got planned out just yet. The Crimea Blue is supposed to be great for sog/scrog so I'd def. roll with that one first :hello:

You might consider using a smaller container(s) if you're doing a micro setup, as you may run out of room. A 1 gal pot in a 23" X 14"x24" cab will take up a good chunk of space--but if you're doing a 1 or 2 plant scrog it will probably work well enough. You'll have to be very specific with how you LST that plant though--control with a scrog is everything.

Fox Farm's Ocean Forrest soil is awesome. You shouldn't need to feed your plants nutes in that soil until about 2 weeks into its life, depending on what signals it sends you. If it looks great 2 weeks in, just start veg nutrients and roll with it. If it looks yellow and indicates it needs nutes before that, act accordingly.

You will need to use nutrients in FFOF soil, as it does not have any time-released nutrients in it, and the available nutrients in the soil alone aren't enough to last the entire grow. I would recommend buying the main 3 Fox Farm nute products, as they've treated me very well.

I would veg your plant for as long as it takes it to just about get all the tops to the screen. If you grow it up to halfway to the lights before flowering, you'll have problems with fitting them in. It's tricky, especially with scrog, which I have never done--maybe someone with experience can chime in on that one.

3. Thanks hendrix, i'll definitely start the crimea blue first. i may change the size of my box, i want to use a legal size 2 drawer filing cabinet, i'll have to cut the bottoms out of the drawers though. its only 18" deep 17" wide and 23.5" high, however it may be the simplest way to do this. any one else have imput on my set up? i'd like to get some constructive criticism