Closet grow - CFL, Coco coir, bagseed

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by AskEd, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Hey Chickadie! Good to see you back :wave: and yeah a little perv humor never hurts when trying to talk the ladies out of some sweet stuff...

Hey thanks for tuning in man and the props, much appreciated. And yeah I been living in (and loving) the journals, nothing like this was around last time I grew back in the early 90's...

Hey buth - my plants have fucking exploded in the last few days, and my closet has been sealed good for the last 3 days, I open it and quickly run in/out then shut it again - got family here staying with us. That was the main reason I put in the CO2 - for peace of mind. It's hard to relax while thinking my babies are suffocating in the closet. Whether it helps or not I can't say, in addition to adding the CO2, I've added more lighting and doubled up on the nutrients plus fed them more, but I know it hasn't hurt anything :)

Hey slinger, things are great, just waiting for the family to leave to I can post some new pics :D Hope your enjoying that massive harvest of yours that I'm so jealous about :)

2. YaY!! He posted something!!

3. Looking forward to the pics mate:cool:

4. Hey man.. looking forward to the pics ill be posting them when i get back from work and the lights are on so another late picture up date. But i do believe that im going to start to flower within a week i believe it was the december 5... But I would like to get some feed back from you Myles, yoda and Ms. Yoda so once the pics are up ill post something on all your posts... Nice grow man.

5. So what kind of wattage and temperature ratios are you running now? Are they mostly 6500K? I can't get over how psyched I am to watch someone doing a CFL only 10 or so days ahead of me. Granted you have faster growth but still.

6. #106 AskEd, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009
    DAY 21 - GROWING LIKE WEEDS

Lights: 5 x 26w 6500 @ 16/8 ~~ Nutes: 600ppm ~~ ph: 6.4 ~~ Temps: 75-82 ~~ rh: 49%
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Well it's been difficult with family here all week, the closet has been shut for days with brief openings to dash in and out, but the ladies are thriving!

The heat was getting a little bad with 6 bulbs so I took one out and the temps are holding at 82 max. I've seen a surge of growth from these girls in the last 3 or 4 days, and I attribute that to the added CO2 (maybe...), the increase in lighting, and the increase in nutrients. Plus these plants are just vigorous to begin with.

I also changed the lighting cycles, I added another 2 hours to the dark cycle earlier this week to try and encourage the ladies as they like longer hours with no light (according to Dutch Passion's research). To me they are growing faster than ever - the extra 2 hours of dark hasn't slowed down crap. I can only imagine the rate if I left them with 24 hours of light, or even 20.

And on to pictures...

On Day 18 I noticed some yellowing on Christy's new shoot leaves. I thought this might be a problem as it was on a few leaves and I'm not really sure what type of deficiency this is (I'm thinking phosphorus, but I honestly haven't had time to research and this is a new one to me so feel free to chime in anyone ;)). They all looked hungry - starved actually - so I doubled up on nutes and fed them 600ppm and it seems to have cleared it up, and they have really taken off since then.
    [​IMG]

The fimming on Linda was a failure, I think I did not cut enough off and it seems to have grown back.
    [​IMG]

The red circles are all leaves that were cut in the fimming, note how they've grown out and new growth is steady coming.
    [​IMG]

I had to raise the hood twice in the last two days and Linda still grew into the hood, luckily it didn't touch any bulbs. So I had to top her to try and slow her verticle growth. Branch growth has been awesome, I can easily get clones now :hello:
    [​IMG]

Don't tell the other ladies, but Christy is me fav :love: She is just gorgeous to me.
    [​IMG]

Five days after topping, branch growth is great, I can easily clone her bottom shoots no problem.
    [​IMG]

Tracy is from the same stock as Christy and a couple of days behind. Note the branch growth on her without the topping, no way I can any clones from that any time soon!
    [​IMG]

You know what that means...
    [​IMG]

Just in case I have a sausage fest with no females at 12/12 time...
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, for anyone who gives a rats ass about the lettuce - it's on Day 21 and took off after bumping up nutes.
    [​IMG]

7. Nice sativa... I too like the indicas. Check in got pics up.

8. Looking good ed.. not a bad fimm man, youll get better at it.. no worries.
    ur ladies look good bro... nive job.. that yellowing they look just a tad hungry to me in those pics, that considering that they are light green like the pic shows... maybe give them a little N food..IMO...:cool:

9. Hi Ed,

Again, congrats on a great crop so far. I was influenced by your design and made my own metal washtub fixture with the 6 bulb housings. I'll start a journal I think. Anyway, can you post some pics of your flowering light setup?

Thanks again. You got me into my first grow!

10. Nitrogen plays a very big role in your plants; this one element is directly responsible for production of chlorophyll, photosynthesis, Amino Acids, which are the building block of Proteins. The myriad of enzymes which help the plants growth in leaves stems and the how well the vigor of your plants is.

Nitrogen is the biggest mobile element meaning it can travel anywhere on the plant.
    Usually the def will start on the lower to middle part of the plant, and then will usually happen to older leaves first. Then the deficiency will work its way up the plant. Your plant can be green on top, then yellowing on the lower leaves when the deficiency is starting out. Yield will be greatly reduced without good amounts of nitrogen in your plants.

Can't wait to see how these turn out, looking good so far man! Should swing by my journal, my girl has gotten fat! lol:hello:

11. welcome back Ed - the ladies look great! Thanks for the comparison of Tracy and Christy on the topping vs ability to clone. I am hoping to be able to clone mine right around Dec 10th.... so, I better top ASAP.

They look great! Glad you're back!!

12. That lettuce plant cracks me up. I'm honestly interested in how it does. Good lookin grow man.

13. damn your plants are growing like crazy with those CFLs... maybe I should get working on making a reflective area around my lights... my day 13 looks like your day 7 haha.

14. Dude those girls are looking extra cute!

is that afghan hash lettuce:laughing:

15. Mylar blankets are sold as emergency blankets at walmart in their sporting goods/camping section... they're like $2.00 each.

16. Thanks slinger, I believe you are spot on. I doubled up on the nutes (Fox Farms Grow Big 3-2-6) so N plus everything else got increased and I haven't seen the yellowing spread (whew!). Looks like they are dark-greening up a little as well. Now if I can get that bad haircut I gave her to grow out... :smoking:

Thanks black, I came by your journal - wow man that lady is looking nice!!

You know these plants respond to a cramped little enclosed area, I think they try to out grow it on purpose to show you they need more room LOL

Yes!! The un-named lettuce plant has a fan! :hello: I'm treating this guy the same as the others, nutes and all. The only thing I know about them, indoors is that they don't require a lot of light, so I haven't had a CFL hovering over it.

Ha! Man I wish.... Actually it's kinda bagseed-ish, it's a burpee variety pack that harvests in 45 days.

Really now.... good to know as I'm thinking of covering the white walls in there :D

17. Hi everybody, mind if I pull up a chair? :wave: I am Ed's closet innkeeper (wife). Easier to tune in here then open the closet and take a peek but still nice to have front row view too.

Christy is my fav too!

Thanks chickadie...Walmart is on the list for me tomorrow.

18. #118 AskEd, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2010
    OK, I been a busy little beaver now that the holiday guests are gone. With branches big enough to clone, time for the next set of experiments...

I added a shelf to the veg side of the closet, put some heat vents (holes) in also incase I light proof this later, it'll have a double-floor with staggered ports. I'm using sheetrock with the white side down for better reflective action, I'll mylar this up later.
    [​IMG]

My original flowering hood idea didn't turn out all that great, so here's plan B haha. I put a strip of 2 x 2 for the clamps to grip onto (with a safety screw to keep them from falling). These are 68watt 2700k CFL's. The heat is not bad, but the bulbs are twice as hot to the touch so I'm not putting them as close to the tops. I'm thinking of a better hood, but for now this will work I think.
    [​IMG]

These 2700 bulbs are terrible for taking pictures. I'll probably add some 6500 side lighters, not only for a better mixed spectrum, but for better pictures!
    [​IMG]

OK next experiment: cloning machine. I threw this together with $26 worth of parts from Lowe's & hydro store and a tub donation from the wife's storage collection. I based this on Rumple's cloning tutorial, and was surprised at how easy it was to put together.
    [​IMG]

I have a 26 watt 6500 CFL for the clone machine - I think this is plenty for cuttings, complete with a safety tie to keep it from falling. This will eventually be a nursery/veg area, but for now I think I'll light proof one so I can use it as a nursery/flower area.
    [​IMG]

Note to self: Front two are from Linda, back three are from Christy :smoking:
    [​IMG]

OK, the clones have been taken so I'm putting the ladies into 12/12 so we can verify their gender before letting them stay for the holidays. I'm hoping we'll know by next weekend. I may end up moving the clone machine until I get the light-proofing figured out. Damn just when I had it easy...

* Jump to next update *

19. Also for your clones you can cut the leaves on the clones in halve so that it will use energy for the roots.

20. Everything looks great Ed :D I'd like to know how the lettuce turns out ;)

Hi MrsEd :wave: nice to meet ya :p Welcome to GC :smoke: