Closet Grow 600w hps, my first.

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by dhfreak, Feb 4, 2010.

1. #1 dhfreak, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2010
    Im growing six clones. 2 Kush, 3 af-pacs, a mystery either Hulk, Lavender, or gdp

My Set-up

walk in closet 3' 6" x 5' 8" x 8' ceiling

~Xtrasun 600w Ballast 120v
    ~Eye Hortilux Super hps bulb
    ~Daystar AC hood
    ~4" fan running exaust out the top w/ 6 inch duct
    ~6" passive duct vent on bottom opposite corner

Rooting & Early Vegging with
    ~2 100 clf's, and 3 75's

2. Pics?....and lots more info. What kinda system you running? Soil? hydro? Nutes? OH, and more pics.

Peace:wave:

3. I built my room on tuesday, and got my clones on Wednesday night, they went in around 4pm. i have them in rock-wool, with root-tech cloning gel. they are in a tray with a tall condensation dome. I didn't get a thermometer until today and quickly realized how ho and dry it is in there(over 95 degrees, and only 25-30% humidity) ive since moved the balace out of the closet it was generating a ton of heat, raised the light to about six feet, that got it down to about 90 and then i rigged up the 6 inch intake to what was my oscillating fan. its duct taped to the back of it and pointed directly at the dome. ive been periodically misting the tray with distilled water and the inside of the dome to keep the humidity in the 60-80 range. i just checked the temp and humidity, its currently 85 degrees and has a 73% humidity. hopefully i can stableize that temp. the light is just plain hot though. any tricks to keeping the room humid without overwatering?

4. Try putting a dish of water inside the dome. You'll draw in alot more people, and get better advice if you upload pics.

5. one of the plants i bealive its the juicy has browned on the lower leaves but has since straitened up so im hopeful that the newer growth will take over and ill get all six to root. im going to be running soil, no nuits so far. my caregiver has a specfic system im gonna follow with that.

6. ill get some pics up. maybe tonight but def tomarrow.

7. too hot again.... up to 95 with only 40%.:(

8. some pics from day two, i really dont know what im gonna do about this heat...

Attached Files:

9. This has to be a joke? The worst plant i've ever seen.

10. two day old clones sulli.....did you read?

11. thanks for being helpfull too man, way to be.

12. ill post more pics in a week when the ladies are in soil. in the meantime they will be on 22hrs of light a day. and ima be tryin to keep it moist and humid enough with a spray bottle.:smoking:

13. I think i may have gotten the temp/humidity dialed finally, im sittin at 80
    degrees, and my humiidty is in the 70's. i went ahead and put a shot glass of distilled water in the dome, and a larger vase of water in the room near the ceiling. im curious to see how fast the water will evaporate. and is that an acceptable level of humidity what would be too high at this time?(rooting clones):)

Attached Files:

14. ok so ive decided to go to a much smaller light to get these babys rooted, plus ill be able to get the room fixed up, and cooler, in the week that the girls sit under the bathroom sink.

Question is what is an inexpensive light i can use to root them? ive alreday planned on buying a terrarium heater and setting it to 80 under the dome. i just need to know what fluorescent i should put on top of them?

advice please?:confused:

15. 6500k cfls. There's pics in my gallery showing how to make a quick and easy light bar.

16. pics of the room, and my new low intensity light.
    3 GE 6500k 75watt's
    temp is at exactly 80 in the dome and the humidity is at 70%:hello:
    im pumped its lookin like all six are gonna pull through.
    even that burnt juicy is way perkier this evening.

Attached Files:

17. I see you got the light worked out, and your temps/humidity workin right. Next, try rigging up a piece of cardboard,long enough to work as a reflector above your cfls. Cover it in aluminum tape and put it over your lights.

So, what have you decided to do about your high temps when your hps is on? You've got about 2 weeks till you'll be switching back to it.

Peace:smoking:

Oh, and don't let the negative posts get to you, man. This city really is quite a friendly place:wave:

18. made it. good call, appreciate the help man.

ive been doing a ton of reading and i think when my plants go into soil im gonna put a grid above them and keep them shorter with an even canopy because that light is hott as shit.

to get the room cooler im gonna have to buy a cheap 6" fan from wally world and attach it to the end of the currently passive intake, im hoping that wil help.

I wanna put a carbon filter on the intake of my exhaust fan in the future to help keep the smell down but i cant have it restricting the airflow at all? do they restrict?

i think the best solution to getting to acceptable temperature levels is gonna be to get a different hood with ventilation and the glass bulb cover. ive already sank allot of money into this but i think im gonna have to drop some more....

Attached Files:

19. #19 Green_Hit420, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2010
    Attaching anything such as a carbon filter to your exhaust will drop the cfms, but hopefully not by alot.(tests will need to be run)
    An air cooled hood with glass enclosure is going to help so much with your heat prolem. A dayton blower or a can fan would work great to expell that hot air.

EDit:Just noticed you already have a good fan. If your fan's powerfull enough, You can run ducting from your new air cooled hood, through a carbon filter, and out the room. (again, tests will need to be run to optimize your air flow)

As for the money....hahaha yeah, I know how you feel. It's impossible to stick to a budget in a grow. Too many variables and unknowns to factor in.:smoking:

20. Looks good. I'll keep an eye on this one. Good luck finding a fan at walmart this time of year, they don't stock them around here. I had to order one in.