Cloning Problems

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by moondoggz, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I have a stain that has been very easy to clone in the past. they normally would have roots in 4 to 6 days using a clonex machine the one with sprayers in it. Know they are living for 10 to 15 days and just dying any ideas to do with the mother or clones.; need help

2. it could be temperature of the rootzone area...where the water is.....do you have a water heater or a seedling heated mat

i used a heating mat and plain tap water and i had great success over the other methods i tried...good luck buddy

3. Yes I have a heating mat as well its set on 80. That's why I was wondering if it could be with the mother plant. She is a gen3 and looks to be in great health. I've even triec the old rock wool and heating mat with the same results. Im stumped

4. #4 HighlyResonous, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2011
    clean out your cloner very well, make sure it is disinfected thoroughly, in the pump, the hoses, etc. I run a strong bleach/water solution through mine for 15 minutes after every run.
    I have some Purple Kush cuts in it now that have been there for 25 days and are finally rooting. The cuts stay alive and strong the whole time. I keep the water between 74-78, and the air about the same. You should be able to keep cuts alive for 30 days plus with no root system if they are healthy when they are cut and there is no nasty stuff growing in your cloner.

edit- BTW, I use a DIY bucket cloner, plain PH'd water(5.8-6.3). If the strain is really slow, like the purple kush, I'll add some Liquid Karma after a couple weeks. I do not use a humidity dome, and I mist occasionally, but don't think it is necessary. My water pump is on a 1 on 4 off cycle timer, otherwise the pump heats the water up too much. I've changed a bunch of things, and the only thing that seems to really effect my success rate is cleanliness, and if the cloner is clean I get 100% success.

5. how does the death occur? necrosis? wilt, from the center of the top perhaps. foliar water that dont dry off rapidly has killed a couple of mine but thats it. the ones that survived had a natural fim right above the soil. they turned out ok but took forever to recover to veg well. the cool humid operation could cause a prob here. you may need to ventilate to dry the top side if moisture is there. the other thing is that after the clonex food is used up then they may need a trifle more i doubt it though as ive started them in plain old water by accident no doubt so it could be something different alltogether. i use a submersible fish tank heater to keep the water warm and it never takes more than 10 days unless i do something out of the norm. are there significant colour changes to the leafs when dying off? check for mildews with a magnifyer. they will generally occur at the center of a moist leaf and grow out the leaf from the center. some times it can even be mistaken for trichome development in flowering plants. it can kill the clone rapidly w/o even being detected, good luck, hope this is beneficial to your concerns. -D-

6. [quote name='"HighlyResonous"']clean out your cloner very well, make sure it is disinfected thoroughly, in the pump, the hoses, etc. I run a strong bleach/water solution through mine for 15 minutes after every run.
    I have some Purple Kush cuts in it now that have been there for 25 days and are finally rooting. The cuts stay alive and strong the whole time. I keep the water between 74-78, and the air about the same. You should be able to keep cuts alive for 30 days plus with no root system if they are healthy when they are cut and there is no nasty stuff growing in your cloner.

edit- BTW, I use a DIY bucket cloner, plain PH'd water(5.8-6.3). If the strain is really slow, like the purple kush, I'll add some Liquid Karma after a couple weeks. I do not use a humidity dome, and I mist occasionally, but don't think it is necessary. My water pump is on a 1 on 4 off cycle timer, otherwise the pump heats the water up too much. I've changed a bunch of things, and the only thing that seems to really effect my success rate is cleanliness, and if the cloner is clean I get 100% success.[/quote]

On the 1 on 4 off cycle is that 1hour on to 4 hours off? I have a 16 gallon tote with a 396gph pump with 10 sprayer heads about 6 inches from the lid. I keep the ph as well between 5.8 & 6.1 with a smig of superthrive in it. I've noticed with a foilage spray they will live for along time but still no roots. The mother is 18 months old and looks to be in great health. I've herd some people change the nutes on there mother a week or so before they cut but I've never tried that. Its never been a issue till now. Hopefully I can get some pics up this weekend to see if that helps solve my misfortune.

7. [quote name='"deweyj"']

how does the death occur? necrosis? wilt, from the center of the top perhaps. foliar water that dont dry off rapidly has killed a couple of mine but thats it. the ones that survived had a natural fim right above the soil. they turned out ok but took forever to recover to veg well. the cool humid operation could cause a prob here. you may need to ventilate to dry the top side if moisture is there. the other thing is that after the clonex food is used up then they may need a trifle more i doubt it though as ive started them in plain old water by accident no doubt so it could be something different alltogether. i use a submersible fish tank heater to keep the water warm and it never takes more than 10 days unless i do something out of the norm. are there significant colour changes to the leafs when dying off? check for mildews with a magnifyer. they will generally occur at the center of a moist leaf and grow out the leaf from the center. some times it can even be mistaken for trichome development in flowering plants. it can kill the clone rapidly w/o even being detected, good luck, hope this is beneficial to your concerns. -D-[/quote]

The death seems to me to look like root rot. Them steam gets soggy and starts to turn a lite gray tint to them. Could the sprayer be spraying the stems to hard?

8. Cloning in Coco is extremely easy and no need to spend money on expensive cloners or waste time building your own. Most people get close to 100% success when using Coco coir to clone and sometimes can be rooted in ten days. Its worth checking out at least..

9. 1 minute on, 4 minutes off