Cloning on a Budget and Light proofing

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by qwertmonkey, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Good morning GC,

I have a quick question. I'm currently growing 3 AK48's in a small enclosed space. It's about 2' x 2.5' x 1.5'. Once the plants have grown, I would like to take a few clones. I'm a student on a very limited budget, so I don't really want to put much more money in this if it's not necessary. I'd love a bubble bucket setup, but would prefer a free (or nearly) method.

If I just take the clones off the mother plant and stick them in a cup or water through a piece or saran wrap over the top to hold 'em steady, will they root? If so, it would be ideal because it's very inexpensive.

On another note, I have a quick question about light proofing. My grow is in a lower cabinet of a desk. Therefor, there are many light leaks. It's not a problem now since they're vegging, but what do most people use for leaks around the door? Also, I have a 10'' fan in a hole a cut in the back for ventalation. I know it's big, but you can never have enough fresh air. What would be the best way to allow the fan to run but not have any light enter the grow area during the dark period?

Thanks everyone!

2. Bump for the evening crew

3. #3 WhobeBoo, Oct 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009
    Hi Qwert..

Yes.. you could clone with the method you talk about. It wouldn't be the best method, but I have heard of others who have done this. There are also some pretty good DIY cloning buckets on this site. You could make a small clone aeroponic bucket for less that $50.

As for light proofing - I used some foil tape in my grow room to block off light from getting in from holes and cracks. I also use a second cover (of black plastic) over the blask plastic door to make sure that the area where the zippers are do not have any leakage.

As far as the fan hole, I made a light blocking vent by placing 2 90 degree vents at opposite angles to each other (painted black on the inside) to keep light out.

Rumpleforskin has a great tutorial (as are all of his!) about light-proofing your PC fan located here . You should be able to get some ideas from it (this is how I came up with the above idea).

Good Luck!!

4. hey dude if u do go with your 'glass of water' method of cloning make sure u take plenty of cuttings as it can have a low sucess rate take atleast 10 & hope 4-5 make it, i know quite few people that have done it & most dont make it, even when cloning the usual ways u still take extra few cuttings as sometimes they dont all make it

GL