Cloning During Flowering/Before Harvest

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Kimosami, May 9, 2013.

1. Hello!

I have a plant that is 14 weeks old. It is about 3.5ft tall, and the hairs on the buds are starting to darken. Through my research I have learned that when the hairs are about 70% darkened/amber would be the time to harvest.

I was unable to take any sort of clone from it during veg, and now as I look towards the future of needing to harvest soon, I come across the problem of can I still take a clone from it? I have read a lot of information saying that I can, but nothing really defining.

Can I just take a cut off one of the branches near the bottom and regrow with that? Would it perhaps be easier/viable to harvest the plant, trim it all up, and then try to re-veg it?

Also, the upper half of my plant is starting to darken, but I would say the lower 1/4th of it has not only not darkened, but is continuing to make new bud spots. Is this normal? I have a very low powered light system, but it seems to be working for the upper majority.

Cheers for any help.

2. I would say the re vegging the plant would take significantly longer, you have to really trim it up and root prune it.

I would take a cola off the bottom and clone it, it will be revegging as well but its faster. Even if the cola is a complete nug as this point, new leaf growth will begin to pop out the top of it

3. I have absolutely no issue with it taking more time. In my current position, its find a way to clone it, or this will be my first and only harvest.

The cola's I have on the bottom are really really small, will that make a difference? Do I just cut it off from the main stem, or do I actually take it from where the cola forms off of the branch?

4. You take it from the main stem, like any other clone. It doesnt matter if the colas are tiny, as long as you have to enough stem to work with.

5. Here's a post, within a post :)p) on the same topic.. should cover everything you needed to know. :)

You'll usually have faster results with revegging if you take cuts during bloom, rather than revegging the entire plant first, and as a bonus it
    multiplies your plant count faster and can improve distribution in your room if it's large enough to house multiple plants, which
    can be a good thing if it was a killer pheno and you have space for more than a single bush. [​IMG]

And if it's important to save the plant, it can be a good idea to divide your eggs among several baskets so to speak, rather
    than placing all your hopes and dreams in a single chance at revegging... taking cuttings while the plant is still healthy, will improve your odds of success. [​IMG]

Just be sure your medium is in good condition and that your environment is dialed in, humidity, temperature and nutrition wise,
    and you'll have cuttings rooting in 3 - 5 days, and depending on the strain, new vegetative growth around the 7th. [​IMG]

Here's one of my older posts on a similar topic, it may interest you if you like the idea of revegging. [​IMG]

I haven't taken a cutting during veg in years; flowering cuts root just as fast, and with newly developing root systems and less
    woody growth
    , they have fewer overall blooming hormones to purge and more vigor than a plant with woody tissue and a winding-
    down root system, that thinks it's reached the end of its life cycle. As such the cuts only ever seem to require a scant few days
    under 18/6 - 20/4 to begin reverting back to veg.
    I take my cuttings after the current crop begins producing the initial 'golf ball' pre buds, between 20 - 25 days of 12/12.. when
    you still have a lot of early fluffy white hair growth and premature calyxes, the turn around is fairly rapid. When I take cuts during
    harvest, so far along and after being flushed, it can take a good 10 or so days... which still is about a week+ faster than revegging
    the entire plant in most cases, and it provides me with multiple plants, all with healthy new root systems. [​IMG]

But when taken during mid bloom, while well fed, I'll see fresh vegetative growth from my re-vegged clones, during the first
    week after being cut, usually occurring within roughly the same 24 - 48 hour time frame that traditionally/normally vegged
    cuts begin picking up the pace, after being cut.

And as a bonus, when reversed, the hormonal levels that cause compact and dense growth, and the 'hyper noding' that becomes
    what we see as bud, produce a multi-armed candelabra type effect, where you'll see four or six, to sometimes as many as
    ten or fifteen
    new branches, all protruding from one originating point...
    This gives you a killer yield, and can dramatically reduce or even eliminate the need or effort when it comes to training. In other
    words, by taking flowering cuttings, you're encouraging a natural growth pattern that is almost ludicrously more effective than
    topping or fimming!

[​IMG]

Turning a cutting into this in two weeks or less is easy... in another week or so she's put into flowering (indoors), and with
    adequate lighting, by harvest they're between 6' - 8'/ft tall, after just a little over 11 weeks or so from taking the cuttings. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A younger 'Red Crown' Widow cut, taken much later in bloom, already growing new branches (six or seven days
    from being cut and put into a 20/4 cycle)...

[​IMG]

If you haven't already removed them earlier on when pruning, a few 10" - 15" lowest-most branches that may
    only have small or whispy buds, are ideal for dividing and cutting into 3 - 5 clones. When pruning and cleaning up the
    base, I always keep in mind to leave a few behind for cuttings, later on. [​IMG]

For instance, this is the sister of the above plant, taken from a lower point of the same branch...

[​IMG]

Those last two were taken just before the harvest, so it's certainly possible and just about as easy, but taking cuttings at
    20 - 25 days 12/12 usually allows for the fastest turn around; they are more easily reverted back to a vegetative state
    at this time, than if the cuttings are taken any later, or during the harvest. In conjunction with a very dialed-in
    environment, flowering cuttings can provide the below results in a 11 - 12 week growth cycle, counting from cutting,
    to harvest.
    [​IMG]

A nug from the upper left-middle portion of the above plant, one of five or six 'major colas' like it (in a room of six ladies
    of the same size/strain... this is 'Feralocity' though, aka Aussie Big Bud [​IMG]).
    [​IMG]

My second (of the five total) Summit video presentation was also on taking flowering cuttings, so this may be useful too...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEa9a1riXl8"]BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 1: Decarboxylation" by BadKittySmiles - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKeEwMSgb4"]BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Volume 2: Flowering & Revegetated Clones - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shrUhcPLqb0"]BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 3: Hash Machine Demo" by BadKittySmiles - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v6wKwQO6Ko"]BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 4: Medical Grade Oil" by BadKittySmiles - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHr1m5ZQA0]BadKat's CannaPharm "The Cannabis World Summit Edition, Vol 5: Topical Bone Bars" by BadKittySmiles - YouTube[/ame]

Anyhow, good luck and have fun! [​IMG]

6. #6 DankHerbologist, May 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
    that red crown is fucking rediculous!!

dont forget, if you do take some cuttings, you can still reveg your plant as a back up incase none of the cuttings root.

Edit - That "nug" is the size of that person fuckin torso.....

7. Dear god, one, those pictures are amazing.

Two, Thank you for the post, its pretty much exactly what I was looking for. In case you check back on this thread, I am curious, if I were to take off one of the lower branches as you suggest, what then should I do with it? I have seen so many different methods of rooting the clones, they have all started to run together.

Also note that my bank account is quite drained. So I have to make do with whatever I may have around the house. I read something about using a potato if you do not have root gel?

Thanks again, that post has been quite insightful