Clones from a flowering plant?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by MindsEye, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Can you take clones from a flowering plant and have the clone keep flowering?

Basically, I am wondering if you can lollipop a plant, and when you remove lower popcorn bud sites, if you cut low under the bud so as to make sure you take a leaf node as well, dip it in some cloneX, and get it to root, and have the bud still grow?

2. MindsEye,

You can get a cutting from a flowering plant to root....I do it quite often. It takes longer to root, and I revert it back to the veg stage. I like to do this because after it roots, the cutting will sometimes put out as many as 7-8 mainstems.

This is a good thing on many levels, most notably the increase in yield. I have never got one to root and continued to flower it out. With the cutting taking up to 3 weeks to root, its time wasted trying to flower it out for what would be a very minor amount of bud.

To answer your question however, yes you could get a flowering cutting to root, and then continue to flower it out for what may end up to be 1/4 oz of bud +/-.

cheers bro,

chunk

3. I've taken 40 or so and they work fine. (white widow)

4. hmmm.

you CAN take clones from a flowering plant. It will root. Now all the "budding" elements will start to die, Leaves will grow in a little funky and once the roots are present you can continue flowering.

If you take a clone from a flowering plant it will NOT continue to flower as a clone until its established itself with a root system and recovered from shock of being cut.

Hope this helps,

5. Many people, along with budslinger (who has a great cloning bucket guide in the DIY) prefer to take clones off a flowering plant, right around day 21.

6. Thanks for all the excellent answers. My hopes was that one could somehow save the popcorn and have it develop into something a bit bigger, but I can gladly accept the "multiple tops" by vegging again.. So its still a win!

Nicey nicey lemon slicey!

Thanks again!

7. i know im new on here but ive been cloning for some time now and it seems taking a clone thats budding takes the clone longer to go back to grow and establish a root base then start budding again. i prefer to have mothers on 24hr and grow the clones i take to at least a few feet before i bud them out. everyone has thier own preference though...

8. I can definatly understand what you mean, and I am sure that this is in fact probably the most common practice, but lets say you you have brought up a mom, and perhaps live in a place where any type of smoke is rare and either crap or rediculously expensive. You will take sticklings from that mom, sure... and 3 months later have some smoke. OR you can flower your mom, and have something to smoke much faster while you wait out the clones to grow and flower.

Know what I mean?

9. ya for sure... the only few clones i took that were flowering died or barely made it but then again that was when i wasnt that good at cloning yet and only getting about 70% success...

10. Im running 24 hours light in veg always. When I take a flowering clone and revert it back veg Ive always had great success having them root within 7 days. I use clonex but I really think its that sharp diffrence between the light schedules.

I just wanted to share

11. #11 MindsEye, Aug 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2010
    Can any of you guys tell me what the difference is between CloneX and AN Juicy Roots?

if there is indeed any difference at all...

Much thanks for picking your collective brains : )

Reading another post on this forum I found this post: Here

I will post the pertinent bit of text here to save you from having to open another link if you dont want to.

If true.. the DNA alteration could be an unwanted side-effect, tho I cant see how cutting a clone could alter the DNA of a plant. So untill I can find definitive proof that that is a fact, I will hold it as speculation.

This was taken from the next post in that thread. Here

I really like the idea of more branching. (Which confers with the earlier posts in this thread.) So I think I will try it anyway regardless of possible genetic mutations. (Not ALL mutations are a bad thing!)

Anyone have wisom they can impart on us in regards to the information above?

Peace to you all.

12. I have done this many times, just don't take growth that has budded up nice. i always take the cuttings from the undergrowth that has not really started to bud up yet. Guessing that's what everyone does though.
    The plus side of it is if you don't have a mother but a mate has a plant that has budded up exceptionally well, like a freak plant, then i've always taken cuttings from such plants to add to my collection of mothers.
    Good luck with it :)

13. Yea for sure, I cant bring myself to chop a bud with potential. As for freaks, I love them, I wish I knew a sure fire way to get odd leaf formations, then its easy to explain to someone who might accidentaly see it as "a rare chinese basilica plant". ;) Even to grow it straight up out in the open as some odd form of vegetable.

My mate once had grown my SSH #1 (direct from Sensi Seeds owner into my hand) and 1 of the plants freaked out and had single fan leaves. Wierdest thing i ever saw, but smoked like its sisters. Since then I have dreamed of a full batch of such plants. Too bad he didnt keep any cuttings and killed it off thinking it was inferior.

14. Clonex works very well and is considerably cheaper than Advanced Nutrients Juicy Roots. I have no actual experience with AN Juicy Roots but I have heard some very good things about it. I just recently picked up a small bottle of Olivias Cloning Gel and it was fairly cheap so I figure I will give it a shot. But Clonex is def a great product. And I have also never personally taken a clone from a plant after it has been flowering for any longer than 10 days but i have seen it done with good results. i have also seen people get poor results this way also but it could have very well just been their technique. Either way Good Luck Man!!

15. Thanks Philly. I got some of the AN on the way, will see how it works. Figgured I might as well keep with the same line as my nutes.