Clone a whole plant?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by aKfrosty, Nov 8, 2013.

1. So, I was thinking. When you take a clone, you're starting a new root system with the same plant.
    Can you take a plant that is say 5 weeks in veg, cut it at the roots, and then place it in nutrient water and see if the whole plant grows a new root system?
    I was thinking the plant would require too much energy uptop in order to produce roots, but at the same time because of all the top growth it's able to convert energy quicker so would it root quicker than normal clones and just go back to a normal growth rate?
    Plants are so incredibly weird in how they grow, especially our beloved cannabis

2. what would be the purpose of this? i see nothing good that would come from killing a plant then trying to keep it alive....

3. my clones normally take about 3 weeks to root so you'd lose out on 3 weeks of growth on a plant. Best times to clone in my opinion is when topping if top is big enough for clone or when lolipopping (removing bottom branches) . since the bottom branches don't get big buds anyway I use them for clones.

http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1234402-Budget-DWC-CFL

4. I find cuttings of about 5" root the fastest. All but the main shoot is plucked off and around 3-4 leaves are left on and I see roots in 5-7 days

You could cut larger ones but you will have less of them because your mother plant can only give you so much

5. dont see the point in this. 

6. technically you can root a damn good sized plant, lets say you hit it with a weed eater in your yard by accident, yes you can root it.

7. The main stem would probably be too hard to grow new roots, plus you would need a very large container to keep the plant in so it has a high humidity environment.  I've had clones that start drooping within minutes after being cut when I don't get them right into their chamber.  A whole plant would probably dry up very fast with no roots.

8. it's thread/responses like these (not all responses, lol) that i love to come here and read when i'm really wasted.  me and a couple others, look for the funniest ones.  this is my choice, i win, lol!!!   BAM  

9. ^ it's possible, a buddy of mine has done it. What makes this funny?

10. Because you're stunting a plant by weeks for absolutely nothing! Haha :lol:

11. Unless you have root rot on a whole ball of roots and you still wanna salvage it for flower.

12. Exactly.

13. Wouldn't you need to strip a ton of leaves since there are no roots to supply them with food?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

14. Woody stems are much harder to root. This thread is weird though

15. #15 TheAnswer121, Nov 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
    said the same thing b4 i clicked it. seen you commented, though, so i did. :laughing:

shoulda posted here op http://forum.grasscity.com/high-ideas/

16. Haha sorry mate. That's exactly what it was, a highdea.

17. exactly!!  at 5 weeks of veg, i'd have a plant at least 18+" tall, with a stem diameter of around 1", maybe more.  i prob. couldn't get it to root, and wouldn't try.  i'd just take a butt-load of lower cuts.  this thread reminds me of one at r.i.u. where a guy is talking about rooting a leaf, lol.  an exercise in futility, lol...