clone a clone, or just make a clone a mother?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Sublime21, Apr 26, 2012.

1. #1 Sublime21, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2012
    I had great success last time I used this grow setup with 2 plants. I yielded about 9 oz despite having some mold issues and cutting a good foot off of each plant (they finished about 4ft tall)

I expanded my growing area and have started to veg 4 clones that arent even 10 days old.

My strongest clone is vigorously growing roots outside of the net pot already. Two more clones are doing well and catching up. Then I have a runt which is not even half the size of the 3rd place clone :eek:

I cannot imagine my runt will be very large by the time I want to flip the others into flower.

The strain is not readily available to me but I have high hopes for it as it has a very short flowering time of 45-60 days, and my strong clone shows very vigorous growth characteristics

I didn't plan ahead and buy extra clones in order to develop a mother plant, and now I wish I had.

I was considering taking some cutting from the alpha clones once they are large and ready to be flipped, however, I have zero cloning experience, and wouldn't expect any success. Also, why chop what you're trying to grow big anyway..

So this made me start to think, perhaps when the clones are ready to be flipped, the runt will still be too small, and maybe I should just put it into its own solitary space and make it a mother.

Despite it being the smallest of my clones, it should be genetically identical to the stronger ones, and I am sure by flip-time it will resemble one of the alphas (just...younger)

Thoughts?

2. Super clone= mother
    Two catching up= next grow
    Runt= culled (I know it hurts...but either flower runts or trash...)

3. You only want to mother plants that show good characteristics and strong genetics. Making the runt a mother and cloning it would only produce more runts.

4. even if all the clones are pulled off the same mother ?

5. I guess its possible the roots just didnt take as well as the others or something stunted its growth. And You would think same mother same genetics but personally i wouldnt make a runt a mother. It depends on what kind of setup your going for and how urgent your need for clones i guess. Faster growing stronger plants will produce more clones sooner and more often. That would be my only argument against it. If you have the time to veg it out and build it up then ho for it.

6. I second both Wharf and Koob on this. Flower out the runt if you have the space. Clone the best plant. Clones taken off the same mother can vary, sometimes widely; start with the best.