Cleaning a plastic bong with isopropyl alcohol?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by CrazyNakedMan, Apr 25, 2010.

1. I just used isopropyl alcohol to clean my glass bowl, and it worked wonderfully. However, I'm unsure if I should use this in my plastic bong. Yes, no, maybe?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section...I'm really stoned:hello:

2. It will be fine. Isopropyl is used as a cleaning solution for many electronics, most of which contain plastic.

3. if it is clear plastic you may run into issues with clouding if you use salt with it. Other then that it should be okay

4. I thought iso screwed up plastic/acrylic pieces?

5. ISO can make acrylic crack really bad...

6. You probably won't have to let it soak, just wet a paper towel with the iso and use it to wipe the gunk out/off.

Resin/tar doesn't stick to some plastics easily, just like food doesn't stick to teflon-coated pots and pans.

7. I used it on this piece

[​IMG]

I let it sit in there for just a little bit, when I went to pick it up the tube lifted up and the base (with the bottom of the tube) stayed on the counter. The iso ate through the plastic, and ended up all over the counter. Luckily I was able to glue it back together, but I definitely wouldn't recommend using iso with a plastic bong, at least not soaking it for any amount of time.

8. ^Pretty sure it would've dissolved the original glue, not the plastic.

9. Alcohol breaks down acrylic so I wouldn't advise it.

10. As mentioned, it's likely going to eat into the bong. If I were you I'd either use it as more of a rinse, as that has a much smaller chance of causing adverse effects. You could try watering it down as well.

As people have said though, gunk doesn't stick to plasic as well, so I'd try some dish soap and water first.

11. it might depend on what kinda iso you use. if ya get the 91/99% stuff, i bet itll eat up the plastic. but ya could try some of the less potent, like the 50/60/70 percent ones

12. Nope there wasn't any glue. the bottom of the tube has a plastic cap on the end that just presses on, then that presses into the black base. The blue plastic was eaten through, the bottom part of it stayed in the plastic cap/base and the tube separated from it.

13. isopropyl alchohol will ruin any and all acrylic pieces. just don't use it.

Don't use your regular cleaners either like Grunge Off or 420 cleaner. The 420 brand has an acrylic cleaner you can buy, but honestly I would stick to hot running water and maybe a pipe cleaner to get rid of built up gunk.

14. Sorry to bump an old thread but I just cleaned my acrylic with nail polish remover and now it looks really messed up. I put it in a ziplock bag with salt and the nail polish remover. The outside looks really cloudy and rough now. I know the look of it is destroyed now, but is it safe to smoke out of? Ive cleaned it with soap and water really well since then.

15. DO NOT PUT ALCOHOL IN YOUR BONG!!!! It will fuck your shit up. It doesn't eat away the glue or anything like that, it straight up eats the plastic itself. I just tried cleaning mine with isopropyl, it ate my bong, i googled to find out why & found that alcohol decays acrylic. Here's proof. IMG_20130309_121616.jpg

IMG_20130309_121606.jpg

IMG_20130309_121551.jpg

16. one of these should be stickied along with "stop making roors are overpriced threads"

17. Dud the same exact thing happened to me. One minute im pouring iso and salt in it, the next minutes theres like a spider web of cracks all around the downstem

18. Oh boy I hope your not too late since this post is from 2010/2011. Lol

But it does remind me of a funny incident when my two friends did this. Ended up with iso all over and in one of their eyes.

19. This is good info. Thx.