Cleaning a bong with drano?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by stickybuds420, May 12, 2011.

1. though i have a hard time believing someone asked this question. I'm glad he did, because im sure theres someone less educated who just went ahead and did it.

2. i was wondering this today. i guess burns are the only concern.

Seriously though. In my opinion, hands down the best thing to use is denatured alcohol. its like isopropyl alcohols really mean, really jacked older brother, who comes when the resin is being mean to the little one. they have it in the paint section next to turpentine and other paint removers/thinners. I buy it a gallon at a time for about 14 bucks.
    my friends now bring all their dirty pieces to me because the just can't get them as clean.

Don't forget sea salt for roughage.

3. I cleaned my bong with drano a couple weeks ago and it was all good just make sure you rinse it out a couple times to thoroughly clean the drano out

4. And yet.. here you are bumping an 8 year old thread..

Alcohol (with salt as an abrasive) is the best working and safest way to clean glass.

5. [​IMG]

Lye is what both Drain and Oven cleaners are. Caustic Soda. Either will melt that resin away like magic.

However.

=============Quote
    Does lye hurt glass?

You betcha! Lye, sodium hydroxide, will happily react with the silicon dioxide in glass. The end result is sodium silicate and water. Pouring lye into a glass jar is always a bad idea for the glass.
    =============End

Although it will do a great job of cleaning it is damaging the glass. Not ideal.
    Denatured Alcohol is the cleaner is use for all my Cannabis activities.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rubbing alcohol and sea salt, let it sit then shake it up gently to remove all of the resin.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. drano is toxic. why would you want something toxic where you smoke.

8. I tried pine sol once and it took a while to get rid of the smell . Drain cleaner is a terrible idea !!!