Chubby worms found in old dog food-what could it be?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Chinajewelry, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Ok so when I fed my dog two nights ago (half a can of wet food and some kibble), she didn't eat it for some reason, maybe she wasn't hungry, I don't know, but I left it there in case she wanted it later, anyways, the next day I fed her in a different bowl and started to throw the old stuff away, but my sister told me not to..so I didn't. And then today, when I fed her, she was ravenous, and ate the new stuff (which was put on top of the old food-not sure if it was spoiled) and continued down on the old food, and ate most of that too, and when it was down on the bottom, I saw several fat little worms. At first, I called them maggots. Then realized that I've seen maggots before and they were as big as rice. These worms I saw in the food were at least an inch long, and probably half an inch thick. They were white. I have no fucking idea what the hell they were. My concern is if they (or the possibly spoiled food..) dangerous to my dog if she ingested one, which I'm not sure if she did, but there was several worms, so it's possibe. What do you think? They didn't resemble inch worms, ring worms, mealworms, anything I know. I'm not a worm expert haha.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Keep an eye on your dog. And don't feed him stale food!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. probably some foreign species of maggots? things are usually bigger in exotic places

but what do i know, keep an eye on your dog yeah

4. welp no way ur dog has worms

5. Could be. But I'm not really in an exotic place haha.

6. Im not sure about that but you should probably give a vet a call to see if you need to look out for any symptoms with your dog.

7. Feed your doggy gaelic and organic tobaco. Clears out worms and such

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I left a bag of dog treats in a coat pocket after walking the dogs once and put in a cupboard and didn't wear that coat for a month or two. when I came to wear it I found the bag and it felt really weird, like the treats had dissolved or something.  

So I open the bag and a mass of what I think were weevils (small funny looking beetles) poured out all over the place. They were scurrying all over me and the kitchen table, and I was just freaking out whilst the dogs just stared at me like wtf? Now I'm not normally bothered by insects or anything but the sheer amount of them coupled with the fact that I was not expecting the dog treats to have completed their metamorphosis into beetles meant that I had one of he biggest shocks of my life. 

Needless to say, I'm a little more wary of opening dog treats that have been sat around for a while these days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 *ColtClassic*, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
    Those are definitely maggots. You shouldn't have listened to your sister. You wouldn't eat food like that - sitting out overnight and such unless it had been refrigerated, so maybe next time check the food better before you serve it to your dog. Usually maggots would be on the top surface of the food, but they probably worked their way down. I wouldn't let wet, meaty food sit out like that overnight and then serve it again, as this type of thing has the potential to happen. 

Next time just scrap the food and serve your dog only fresh stuff, he/she deserves it anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yea, I shouldn't have done that.. I feel pretty bad. I think she's okay, its been a few days.
    Maggots get big though?

11. That sounds horrible! Weevils are a cool word. The bag was closed? I hate that..How do they get in there! I'm sorry that happened haha. At least they didn't touch me..Once when I was younger, someone in my family left a can of Coke on the counter and I was like, hey I'm thirsty, I'll take a drink of this, so I pick it up and take a drink and put it down, and as soon as I put it down, at least a hundred tiny sugar ants come crawling out of it in a mass...It was so horrible! I've never drank anything from the counter again, needless to say haha.

12. It was a brand new bag. I can only assume there must have been eggs in the treats I guess, though I wouldn't think that' be good for the dogs.

That sounds like a pretty similar experience, at least I didn't put the bag to my mouth. Hopefully you didn't drink too many.

Yeah, maggots can get really big. They don't really have much cognitive function, so they basically just eat. They will keep eating until they are practically bursting. Disgusting I know.