Christianity: The Egyptians Did It First!

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Philosiraptor, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Just like in that South Park episode where they say ,"Simpson's did it," there are too many similarities between the Egyptian's thoughts on spirituality/beliefs and Christianity.

Example: messiah-like figure who is resurrected.

Any opinions or thoughts on this?

Disclaimer: I am not denying the possibility of Christ's resurrection, I'm just saying that there appears to be a lot borrowed from other religions, that is continued within Christianity/The Bible.

2. My thoughts-

Genesis 1:14-"And GOD said, Let there be lights in the firmament of heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for SIGNS, and for seasons..."

Both of these religions along with many others originated from the same place, The Stars.

And one thing you'll notice about the bible (or atleast I notice it when I read it) is that it continues to fulfill itself time after time. Prophecies that were given that were supposedly filled years ago are still occuring today. The bible speaks of trends and patterns if you ask me constantly repeating itself over and over until we get it right. If you look with an open eye its not hard to be a prophet if you ask me, I actually have a theory on this, but that's for another day.

3. Actually, Babylonians did it first.

4. Good Point! (Referring to bolded)

Any prophecy could fulfill itself with time though, for the universe is expanding.

IMO everyone is a prophet, some people just have more credibility in certain fields than others.

5. How do you know that the raptors didn't do it first? How about the single-celled organisms?

6. Touche

sea-people

7. Agreed. Sea-people. (nods head, gives look of understanding)

8. I think you misunderstood what I was saying as far as prophecy goes. To be a prophet first you have to make some accurate predictions. You're not a prophet until you start getting stuff right. I'm suggesting that if you examine history and observe the present objectively you will be able to accurately predict the future by simply connecting the dots. I'm not saying throwing guesses in the wind and hope that the universe catches up. I guess you could call it the Science of Prophecy.

I have always told people that the television show The Boondocks were prophets. Of course when I first started watching the show I had no idea that some of the stuff they were doing on the show would actually come to pass, but as time progressed I would see Boondocks do it then I would see society do it. It astonished me to be honest, this show I was turning to for a sunday night laugh was accurately portraying the future to me. And I'm sure they weren't doing it on purpose they were just observing the world as they saw it. I've always said comedians are the best place to get your news.

9. #9 Philosiraptor, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2010
    Probably, I just think everyone is a prophet in a certain sense. The universe is already working in mysterious ways, some trivial thing you could say to someone could turn out to be extremely profound if you look at it under a certain light and comprehend it in a certain context.

Just as you mentioned the TV show that seemed to be prophetic to you, I have things happening to me that I can only assume are prophetic because the spider web is woven just too tightly to be coincidence. If you know what I mean.

IMO everyone is a prophet because the universe is using them as a medium to communicate (whether they realize it or not), some people just choose to speak louder or write more.

10. @Philosiraptor

I understand what you are saying with more clarity now and I agree.

11. I've noticed that a lot of religions have a lot if similarities, for instance the use or belief of over powerful being out some kind of super natural force. It's why tao is so intruding to me because its unlike anything I had ever read.

12. From my understanding, a prophet does not necessarily predict the future. A prophet is a master of cause and reaction occurrences so they only tell people what is to come in the future if they do not change their ways of living, etc. The term prophet is often misused and abused because people do not fully understand what a prophet really is.

As for the bible, I have little doubt that it is in fact a book of prophesy. However, when I look at our country's current state of affairs in the middle east it appears our leaders are attempting to reenact some books of the bible, mostly the end times portion. Our future is very bleak if the U.S. or Israel attacks Iran. For Iran is allied with some very powerful countries such as Russia and Turkey and would likely cause a chain reaction of wars and nuke brigades.

13. I agree. They are clearly after a specific location *cough cough one that has special energies.

14. What do you say to the Bible being a collection of 'stories' that have been gathered and altered slightly to conform to the Christian way of life and culture?

This was a selective process where some of what we know as 'Books' were taken out or chosen not to be shared. Council of Nicea i believe it was

15. No doubt there was a council to place the books together, argue over which ones to place in it so forth and so on....

But there is no evidence to any altering nor is that a logical conclusion under the circumstances.

16. maybe you should read some mythology before saying there is no evidence of some of those stories being taken from much older civilizations that ruled and rise and fell long before ideas of monotheism ever became widespread

17. there is evidence, you just have to read the mythology and other holy books and texts

double post....mods please delete

18. Maybe we have. That only reenforces the evidence of the bible being true to any with a critical mind who knows the topic. Now that you recommended my reading schedule, let me ask, have you actually read the entire bible and if so, what do you do with rotten figs? And why?