Choosing the right seed

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Weedpack, Feb 6, 2013.

1. I'm on attitude seed bank and I was wondering are the $10 seeds worth it compared to the $5? I just want to grow the best quality possible.

2. In case you haven't noticed attitude carries a few different varieties of seeds. How would anyone know what you are talking about?

3. I wasn't talking about any specific seed. Just in general if there is a seed for $15 compared to a $5 seed, would i really be getting superior genetics with the $15. If that makes any sense.

4. Possibly, it depends on the two seeds your comparing. Some breeders are better than others. Femmed or auto seeds tend to cost more than reg or photo strains.

5. Oh, well you seem very knowledgeable. If you were me, what 4 seeds would you grow.

6. [quote name='"Weedpack"']Oh, well you seem very knowledgeable. If you were me, what 4 seeds would you grow.[/quote]

It depends on the equipment available and situation. Wappa from Paradise is a easy growing short Indica. If you want a taller sativa dominant LSD from Barney's farm packs one hell of a punch.

I have been the most happy with seeds from Paradise seed company and Barney's farm.

Breeders such as Dutch passion, Mr. Nice, TGA, and Reserva Pirada all get good reviews but I can't recommended them personally.

Check out the seed bank section for more strain and breeder reviews.

7. As a rookie myself, I felt that attitude site was a bit much to take in. Kinda felt like walking into Binny's when all you knew you wanted was "wine".

Wish they had a categorical search. I'm not sure how it would flow, but something like a drop down narrowing filter approach.

Like (hmm I want...)
    - fem
    - medium/short
    - 70 day
    - photo

Then dump you a list of strains.

Unless is there a good site that does this?

-FragileBob

8. [quote name='"FragileBob"']As a rookie myself, I felt that attitude site was a bit much to take in. Kinda felt like walking into Binny's when all you knew you wanted was "wine".

Wish they had a categorical search. I'm not sure how it would flow, but something like a drop down narrowing filter approach.

Like (hmm I want...)
    - fem
    - medium/short
    - 70 day
    - photo

Then dump you a list of strains.

Unless is there a good site that does this?

-FragileBob[/quote]

That would be nice to have an advanced search function. As it is you kind of have to know what you are looking for.

9. strain depends on what your are working with space, situation(smell and what not), personal preference on sativa or indica

10. Herbies has that advanced search function but only carries a select amount of breeders.

11. Excuse the ignorance, but what you are saying is that even a strain from breeder to breeder can be drastically different?

-FragileBob

12. Yes depends on the Seedbank and the conditions it is grow and bred

13. [quote name='"NonDucorDuco"']

Yes depends on the Seedbank and the conditions it is grow and bred[/quote]

Not to mention many "breeders" aren't breeders at all. Some will just buy seeds from independantly contracted suppliers with little quality control. As well some breeders will just purchase seeds and breed their own seeds from someone else's genetics and have no real breeding program.

14. Hmm, I thought Attitude's site had this feature now. I know I've selected Indica Dom, Photo, Fem and then saw all the seeds that matched that criteria.

15. ya i normally go straight for indica on the filter lol

om nom nom nom nom

16. Kinda weird, maybe I had missed it. Yes they do have a nice filter.

That's pretty sad about those so-called breeders.

Is there any governing body or site to check for reputable breeders?

-FragileBob

17. [quote name='"FragileBob"']Is there any governing body or site to check for reputable breeders?

-FragileBob[/quote]

No, nor can they really be held liable for crappy products other than word of mouth. That is the downside to such an uncontrolled industry.

18. I would expect that from the US, but in Europe where things are more tolerated, I would have figured there would be a union or at least a co-op league of breeders.

Ahh well... I'm usually wrong about a lot of things.

-FragileBob

19. [quote name='"FragileBob"']I would expect that from the US, but in Europe where things are more tolerated, I would have figured there would be a union or at least a co-op league of breeders.

Ahh well... I'm usually wrong about a lot of things.

-FragileBob[/quote]

You would think it is more tolerated but in some European countries ( the UK being one) seeds can only be sold as souvenirs and no discussion of germination is legally allowed.

20. That's as laughable as the head shop code words when purchasing.

I have to ask... What exactly is expected when you buy a seed as a souvenir? I mean... what the hell are you going to do with it as a souvenir?

-FragileBob